Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Banned

Default ............

Quote:
WILDLIFE RESOLUTION NUMBER W-2-2014

BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Alberta Fish and Game Association request that Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development leave the common draw code the same as the special general draw for that species and that WMU when instituting draws for archery; CARRIED as submitted with 66 in favour and 21 opposed (75.9%)
http://www.afga.org/news-updates.html

Can someone interpret this for me? What is a "common draw code" compared to "special general draw"

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-25-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post

Can someone interpret this for me? What is a "common draw code" compared to "special general draw"

Thanks in advance!
X2
Old 02-25-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
As I read it, it seems they are asking to leave the original draw codes as is and add the archery draw as an additional, likely meaning people would be able to enter both codes....that is my guess.

Keep in mind these items are just what they are requesting SRD to do, they are not written in stone yet.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 02-25-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:21 PM

No, that is not correct.

The resolution means: one draw code for antlerred mule deer.

The intention of the resolution was to make a single draw in which you could hunt archery AND rifle seasons (respectively) as you can currently for Antlerred mule deer where draws are required.

However, this could be interpreted to mean one draw code (Antlerred mule deer) with a variety of hunt codes; a draw for archery season and a draw for rifle (any weapon) season, and/or a spear season, etc. The result would be you could build priority for Antlerred MD but could only draw a tag for a specific season.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
No, that is not correct.

The intention of the resolution was to make a single draw in which you could hunt archery AND rifle seasons (respectively) as you can currently for Antlerred mule deer where draws are required.

However, this could be interpreted to mean one draw code (Antlerred mule deer) with a variety of hunt codes; a draw for archery season and a draw for rifle (any weapon) season, and/or a spear season, etc. The result would be you could build priority for Antlerred MD but could only draw a tag for a specific season.
So what is a "special general draw"?

How can the people vote on such a resolution that is so poorly worded? Do they know what they are voting on?

Thanks for clarifying this stuff.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:

How can the people vote on such a resolution that is so poorly worded? Do they know what they are voting on?

Agreed....the wording is brutal and can be interpreted several ways....

LC
Old 02-25-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:

The language issue was identified, but no one offered up an amendment...

As most of us are AFGA members, but few make it to conference, it is good to have these discussions.

I will provide clarification (through MY understanding) where I can.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

So it was identified as a problem and no one did anything about it? Even with this issue of archery mule deer draws being a hot one?

I cannot believe it. Can you?
Old 02-25-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
So it was identified as a problem and no one did anything about it? Even with this issue of archery mule deer draws being a hot one?

I cannot believe it. Can you?
You should have been there...
Old 02-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
You should have been there...
You should be glad I wasn't.

Heard the food was good.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:30 PM

Specially worded for special general draw for special interest group.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 PM

I interpret some of these resolutions as 'anti bowhunting'. Why eliminate the requirement for bowhunting permit? We don't want to know how many bowhunters are out there? Hmmm. Also, along the same lines why be restricted to one draw code for antlered mule deer. Are we trying to eliminate the possibility of a future archery antlered mule deer draw code?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
I interpret some of these resolutions as 'anti bowhunting'. Why eliminate the requirement for bowhunting permit? We don't want to know how many bowhunters are out there? Hmmm. Also, along the same lines why be restricted to one draw code for antlered mule deer. Are we trying to eliminate the possibility of a future archery antlered mule deer draw code?
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I've often wondered about the bowhunting permit. Was always told it was to count the number of bowhunters but if that was required then why isn't there a rifle permit? Wouldn't this add much needed revenue and aid in determining how many hunters hunt with bow, rifle or both? Its not 'anti bowhunting'. More like 'anti bowonlyhunting'
Old 02-27-2014, 12:29 AM

There could be more to the removal of Bow permits than meets the eye.

Mandatory Hunter surveys are being discussed. This would eliminate any need for bow permits as a tool to count Archery hunters.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-27-2014, 05:52 AM

Why do they have to charge for the bow permit? Reduce the price or make it free.....but still require the archery guys to possess it.

LC
Old 02-27-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Why do they have to charge for the bow permit? Reduce the price or make it free.....but still require the archery guys to possess it.

LC
That was the reason for the removal of the now permit. Nothing anti-bow hunting about it. All the discussion was centred around why bow hunters are being charged extra.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
That was the reason for the removal of the now permit. Nothing anti-bow hunting about it. All the discussion was centred around why bow hunters are being charged extra.
Correct.

The $8 permit was never a "revenue generator", iirc almost the entire amount went to IBM. The cost was simply the cost the licensing system provider charged.

With the new system coming on line, there is no reason bowhunters should be required to pay extra so that government can count.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:

This would be another interesting way to do the archery and trophy muledeer draw. Build one priority and choose your season. I am glad that the afga left things open that way. It would be similar to the cow elk or moose draws in my area where you choose your season with the one draw code. But that might not be fair because people who put in for the prime times like the rut wouldn't get drawn as often as others, which of course is why so many are up in arms about the seperate archery draw because bow hunters might get drawn more often.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
No, that is not correct.

Quote:

As most of us are AFGA members, but few make it to conference, it is good to have these discussions.

I will provide clarification (through MY understanding) where I can.

Are you able to clarify the Intended meaning and purpose of the resolution?

"WILDLIFE RESOLUTION NUMBER W-2-2014
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Alberta Fish and Game Association request that Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development leave the common draw code the same as the special general draw for that species and that WMU when instituting draws for archery; CARRIED as submitted with 66 in favour and 21 opposed (75.9%) "

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-28-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Are you able to clarify the Intended meaning and purpose of the resolution?

"WILDLIFE RESOLUTION NUMBER W-2-2014
BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Alberta Fish and Game Association request that Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development leave the common draw code the same as the special general draw for that species and that WMU when instituting draws for archery; CARRIED as submitted with 66 in favour and 21 opposed (75.9%) "
I thought I did?

It was clear from the discussion that the intention was / is to create single draws that are valid in both the early season (using archery tackle) AND the late season (using whatever tackle you want, bow, rifle, crossbow, Tanto...).

In my personal opinion, as shown by this thread, the intention of the resolution is not clear due to the wording.