Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2011, 11:33 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I guess you guys are missing my point...and thats ok. Gutting an animal is a piece of cake. If you have to pack out your meat then by all means debone in the field. If you don't I prefer my method.

When you happen to have a walk in cooler in your garage I like to hang things with as much meat on the bone for the hanging/aging process as possible, IMHO its nicer to work with when it is in 4 nice pieces still attached to the bone. It also helps keep the amount of surface area to a minimum.

LC
Actually I'm not trying to talk you into anything other than to stop insinuating that people might be breaking the law by leaving edible meat behind. It's just two different methods that both work, both get all the meat and are both legal
Old 10-31-2011, 12:14 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Gutless method is just that....no gutting. It is breaking down the animal without "quartering" it. Basically deboning it all from the outside and not splitting the back bone/brisket to half it lengthwise, and then carefully creating access and removing the tenderloins. Which IMHO it is easier to just gut it and do it the conventional way.

Like you Keg I do things the conventional way....to each their own.

LC
Oh, sounds complicated and time consuming. Last Moose I did, I skined, gutted and quarterd by myself in under an hour. Don't think I could do that today, but still sounds like old school is the way for me.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:34 AM
Banned

My pal has a winch on his headache rack...which ios a homebuilt monster rack...and he uses his tailgate for a ramp.

I'm building a cherry picker hoist arm to go in my hitch receiver.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:23 AM

The last Bull Elk i shot , we used the tailgate as well. Just popped it off the hinges and leaned it against the bumper. We hooked tie downs to the front hooks at the bottom of the box on both sides and inched him in.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Actually I'm not trying to talk you into anything other than to stop insinuating that people might be breaking the law by leaving edible meat behind. It's just two different methods that both work, both get all the meat and are both legal
I wasn't insinuating that at all, you are reading too much into what I posted. I made no mention of people breaking the law nor did I imply it.

LC
Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Gone Hunting

WOW! lefty, what are you some kind of trouble maker.LOL

I understand exactly what you are saying. You use the traditional method and when your quarters are hanging they actually look like quarters and I take a certain amount of pride in that scenario. Did it for years.

I've also done the gutless method and while it works well from a practical POV it does little for the esthetics or tradition of hunting. Instead of an animal quartered and hanging I have "meat'. On the plate no difference. The gutless method is easier and cleaner. Is it better. Nope just different.

Sometimes I use traditional because it is traditional and hunting is steeped in tradition.
Some times I haul the whole animal to camp or home to hang on a meat pole. Not because it's easier, but because it is traditional and lends a certain element to the hunt that chopping the animal into manageable chunks does not.

We rush every day in the "world' some of that bleeds over into our recreation. It isn't always a good thing. Sometimes it's better to slow down and enjoy the whole experience.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
How did you get it onto the quad???? lol everyone has info on loading it onto your truck....BUT how do you load a moose onto your quad??????
In one pc? You can't (or at least I wouldn't try - an argo maybe.)

In halves:
1.turn the gas off on the ATV.
2.engage the park brake (my atv park brake is my rear)
3.tip the atv upright so the back rack is now against the ground (vertical wheelie-two sizable guys can do this quite easily)
4.tie the 1/2 moose to the back rack
5.put the machine back on 4 wheels.
6.turn the gas back on, start the ATV and drive away.
***Seen them on TV use the same method for whole bears, with guts in - works like a hot damn for that too.

Not "home improvement" methods; principals of simple leverage. Similar to a snatch block; the term "double line" doesn't just mean 2 cables, you are infact doubling your line pull. A second snatch block will triple it, or quadrouple it if you come back to the point of origin with the hook (if you need to do this, tie your quad to something and stand back... because this is border line "home improvement...haha)
Same goes for tarps, poly, snow, plywood or colder temperature. You are decreasing the coefficient of friction. The laws of phisics still apply, but nothing governs us from altering the controlled factors, or conditions.

Now that giraffe; 2 trees, 2 winches, 2 atvs, 4 snatchblocks and a ton of rope, it's doable. Definately home improvement style though!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
WOW! lefty, what are you some kind of trouble maker.LOL
Yup...thats what I am here for ....generating discussion is never a bad thing

LC
Old 10-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Gone Hunting

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
How did you get it onto the quad???? lol everyone has info on loading it onto your truck....BUT how do you load a moose onto your quad??????
We say moose get on that damn quad and he dose so....lol

But if you are serious which I doubt you are, pick it up and put it onto the quad. Pretty simple if you ask me unless your a girly man.

Last edited by 7mm-08; 10-31-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:56 PM

Last camp W moose we killed we halved and me and my Brother loaded it by hand
Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Two easy ways to load whole, assuming you can get it to your truck & assuming you want to quarter it elsewhere:

1: Snatchblock as high in tree as possible tied off by heavy rope or chain. Use truck or quad to pull up, tie off then back the truck up to the tree and lower it in.

2) If you have two trucks, quad might work. Back one truck as close to animal as possible. Other truck/quad is parked beside 1st truck. Tie up tow rope to moose and pull tow rope over top side of box & hook to other truck. Slowly drive second truck ahead, piece of plywood helps to clear tailgate and it will load very easy. The tow rope may scratch the top of the box but it will not bend it.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:33 PM

i just put in for tags near home

a john deere is never more than a half mile away.....get him up with the loader....gut skin right there....drop in the truck....winch up in the cooler at home and have a beer.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
i just put in for tags near home

a john deere is never more than a half mile away.....get him up with the loader....gut skin right there....drop in the truck....winch up in the cooler at home and have a beer.
Now that's the way to do it!.....glad to hear you drive a green one!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 PM

Default loading your moose

go to princess auto and buy a winch in a bag
mount it on a slide bar into the back of your reece hitch
install it only when you need to use it ( dont drive around with it in the rear )
set up a pulley, winch him up your tree, back your truck up and lower him in
Old 09-24-2013, 09:15 PM

Being from the land of no trees (or Quads) I built a tri pod out of square tubing and bought a good block and tackle! The wife and I have done a couple moose and lots of deer etc. with this rig.

It was not quite high enough to do the moose in one lift, so we would skin out half, quarter it lower it down onto a tarp re rig and do the next half.

But after finding the gutless method ( on youtube) that will be the way we will go next time.

Did our antelope this year with the gutless method and it worked great.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Arsenault View Post
I will be going to wainwright for moose on December first. I have a bull tag and my dad has a calf tag. I'm just wondering what tactic every one uses to load their animal. I am thinking about building a plywood ramp and using a calf sled and a come along. If some guys could share their ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Depends on the truck but... a tailgate can make a pretty good ramp.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:16 PM

If it is a small moose and a couple guys roll the moose onto a sheet of plywood and lift one end onto the tail gate then back up.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:23 PM

That sure is a revival of an old thread! I never got to try out and of those tactics that year. I never found the moose that I waited ten years to shoot. I left happier not shooting anything then if I would of settled for a small bull that I wouldn't of been happy with. Last year however my dad got the tag and wasn't as picky! We drug the bull up to the ditch, I backed down from the road and three of us pushed him in. Worked slick! It's amazing the traction you get in a Dakota with a moose in the box!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 09-25-2013, 05:32 AM

Essentials for hunting moose alone ,,,,,,,
IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG
One on the front bumper , and one behind the cab on base of roll bar .
Old 09-25-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod Valley View Post
Essentials for hunting moose alone ,,,,,,,
Attachment 79295

Attachment 79296
One on the front bumper , and one behind the cab on base of roll bar .
Oh wow that would make life easier!!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
A farmer that gave me permission to hunt his land told me to tie a rope on the moose, over a round hay bale and to my truck. Pull the moose up the bale and when it was on top, back the truck up to it and pull/push it on. It sounded like he knew what he was doing......lol.
This is a good idea!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:59 AM

150$ trip to Home Depot and you're set. Buy one sheet of 5/8 plywood, 2 2x4x8', 6 feet of chain and a 2000lb portable winch.

Cut the plywood 3' wide and 60" long. Use the scraps to reinforce it. Glue them together will PL 400. Next cut the 2x4 the same length plus 1" and cut one end at a 45 degree. Then srew them on. They will be runners... One the one end, when you've cut the 2x4s at a 45, drill 2 holes through the plywood about a foot apart and loop strong rope through it to make a handle.

Next stretch the chain across the box of the truck and hook it in the front loops, hole or pockets of the box and attach the winch to the chain.

Now, when you get an animal, back up to it, tie a strap to the neck and pull your winch cable from the truck, through the rope handle and to the animal neck. It will drag it up the ramp, catch the loop and make the ramp glide into the box.

That easy!