Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: How many non-residents do you apply with?
None 66 63.46%
1 28 26.92%
2 5 4.81%
3+ 5 4.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Gone Hunting

WB,u can put whatever color lipstick you choose on this pig, it's still a pig. ESRD does not have the funding to run the program correctly, until such time we can get off this horse, that we all say, yes we need change, but it better not affect me, we are doomed. Also, scrap any and all NR tags And Outfitter allocations until this mess is under control, and the other problem with game management in this province that we are not allowed to talk about on here , must be looked at as well
Old 06-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Without the numbers, it is purely speculative as to the dedree NRs are impacting residents in the draw. Based on the number of licences sold, which I passed on to you, NR are not purchasing many draw licences at the provincial level.

Not today I agree.
Do you ever think about the future, where you want to be, based on where you have been? That's deep I know. But to ignore the possible increases in non-residents just because your FOIP application hasn't come through is poor thinking imo. But when it does, i'll be happy to analyze it and graph it for you.

You don't want NR in the draw, and I disagree with you. If you are going to promote that people tell their partners "Sorry, there is no more room in Alberta, I cant apply for you", I would like to see evidence for your position.

I simply asked the question, not quite sure that is promoting it but you can tell people that if its gets to go into a magazine lol...

If and hopefully when the government releases this information, to me that is the time to draw a conclusion.

I agree that will be interesting. Holding your breath?. I am hopeful you can pull this off. Really I am. Really.

Do I believe all the info. put forward to me? No. The last example was posted in your latest pronghorn thread.

Im not sure what youre referring to..

I'm a strong believer that we need to have all the information on the table in order to be pro-active in decision making. That's a large part of why I have been pounding this beast for a few years now.

Kudos to you pounding this beast...

The numbers are great and I appreciate access to them. Like I hope you appreciate the graphs.

I just think that you are going to far with a conclusion before being abe to back it up.
Possibly, I predict things for a living so can get a bit involved on this stuff, over time we will see if I was right. And maybe if the numbers you are waiting on come a bit too late.

Last edited by Deer Hunter; 06-24-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
WB,u can put whatever color lipstick you choose on this pig, it's still a pig. ESRD does not have the funding to run the program correctly, until such time we can get off this horse, that we all say, yes we need change, but it better not affect me, we are doomed. Also, scrap any and all NR tags And Outfitter allocations until this mess is under control, and the other problem with game management in this province that we are not allowed to talk about on here , must be looked at as well

You've got it on the need for change! And the problem is deeper than just funding.

All I'm sayin' is that it doesn't help to work with speculation as fact. This just leads to opponents being able to shoot down any credibility. If we are going to spend the time trying to figure out options for change, we have to work within known reality.

We have a right to the information. It shouldn't be so hard to obtain it. I sure wish that certain AGMAG members would lend a hand instead of "cat"footing it with ESRD.

Burnt out and getting silly. I should take a break before....

Thanks to all for caring and trying to make hunting better for all Albertans.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
No exceptions. application ratio is 1:1 Res.:NR

What is your margin of error with 34/110,000 hunters responding?

+- 16.8%?
Margin of error at 10% now and if you believe this poll there are 27 NR out of 105 total people in the draw for 26% NR's
Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
No. I feel that there is and room for NR Hunter Hosted draw licences.
I would like to see reciprocity with the jurisdiction the NR is from.
I would rather see ourselves and our Canadian counterparts be inclusive rather than exclusive.

Do you have any data that shows the number of NRs applying in the draw and the number of licences they are recieving?

From what I have seen, Hunter Hosted NR are actually recieving few draw licences, much fewer than I expected.

There are lots of trees.
been reading all of these related threads with curiosity and dread. I finally see a post that I can speak to. I'm a B.C. resident that has enjoyed hunting in your province for the past 15 years. You have, in my opinion, a much better draw system than we do. I/we really appreciate the opportunities available to us in Alberta.
I completely agree with Walking Buffalo in that our draws or at least a percentage of them should be available to all Canadian residents. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to have affordable access our other Canadian hunting resources without the need for a guide-outfitter? I prefer a do-it-yourself hunt as I'm sure most of you do as well. To boot, financially, I could not do all of the hunts that I would like to in my own country.
We should push more for this type of thing that would bring the Canadian hunting community together rather than divide it more.
Most of the provinces have something to bring to the table to enhance what could be an incredible hunting opportunity.
To quote W. B., it would be better to "be inclusive rather than exclusive."
Thank you Walking Buffalo.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:42 PM

I think we should only share draws on species to which are shared to us from the Province in question...

If a Sask resident wants to hunt mule deer here, then the favour should be returned to Alberta residents...what no sheep in Saskatchewan!...too freakin bad.

LC
Old 06-25-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think we should only share draws on species to which are shared to us from the Province in question...

If a Sask resident wants to hunt mule deer here, then the favour should be returned to Alberta residents...what no sheep in Saskatchewan!...too freakin bad.

LC
you're making a lot of sense.....
Old 06-25-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
the system is automated. I just went through this personally. the computer caught me trying to do things that aren't allowed....like trying to apply a friend for an elk tag in an area reserved for residents. the system recognizes the WIN number as a non res and wont let you go through. I already explained that there have been instances of some with enough priority to be drawn not being drawn as the cap was hit. I understand the cynicism....but I have seen it firsthand.
There are areas reserved for residents?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:35 AM

Maybe just have the NR partner on the res tag instead of issuing them a draw tag.
That way they are not dipping into our res tag numbers.
It's a legal option now anyways, so why not make them all partner up instead of drawing their own tags ?

TBark
Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Maybe just have the NR partner on the res tag instead of issuing them a draw tag.
That way they are not dipping into our res tag numbers.
It's a legal option now anyways, so why not make them all partner up instead of drawing their own tags ?

TBark
That a good point! If you want to hunter host your buddy/family member then instead of both having a tag.....buddy up.

It is supposed to be all about the experience right?

I think that is something that should be seriously considered.

LC
Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM

People sure like to pick on the 1%.

From ESRD, Status of Mule Deer in Alberta 2013

Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 AM

Oops! Never mind.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
People sure like to pick on the 1%.

From ESRD, Status of Mule Deer in Alberta 2013

People sure like to take the published numbers as is....

Actually it isn't that funny.

The numbers that I have for 2012 Mule Buck
9588 residents/nr drawn (72%) from "mywildalberta"
2073 allotted outfitter tags (16%) out of 2351 possible "from the govt"
unknown resident landowner tags (estimated at 1500 based on 11% graph) 11%
Total of 13161 tags.

Maximum 84% residents with a minimum of 16% NR/NRA.

How do they get that Outfitters were only at 8%? They had 2073 allocations last year. I get 16%. The math on that graph doesn't add up.

WB please let me know whose math is wrong. 2073 Outfitter tags at the quoted 8% is over 25,000 total licenses ...
Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Banned

More on this sorry for double posting in two threads but these are important numbers imo:

Here is the more recent version of the HFT hunter survey report

NRA/NR amounted for 8% of the total Alberta hunters in 2012, but amounted to 27% of the new hunters in 2012 proving rapid growth of NR and NRA hunters with respect to new residents.

The number of hunting licenses sold was up 127 % in 10 yrs (344,000 to 439,000)

Yet the number of online draw applications was up 160% in 10 yrs (179,000 to 300,000)

Bowhunting permits increased 131% in 6 years

NRA/NR pheasant hunting permits are at all time lows (only 60% of where they were 6 years ago)

NR/NRA waterfowl licenses are also down to all time lows based on the info provided.

Last edited by Deer Hunter; 02-13-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
People sure like to take the published numbers as is....

Actually it isn't that funny.

The numbers that I have for 2012 Mule Buck
9588 residents/nr drawn (72%) from "mywildalberta"
2073 allotted outfitter tags (16%) out of 2351 possible "from the govt"
unknown resident landowner tags (estimated at 1500 based on 11% graph) 11%
Total of 13161 tags.

Maximum 84% residents with a minimum of 16% NR/NRA.

How do they get that Outfitters were only at 8%? They had 2073 allocations last year. I get 16%. The math on that graph doesn't add up.

WB please let me know whose math is wrong. 2073 Outfitter tags at the quoted 8% is over 25,000 total licenses ...

It is licenses purchased I believe, so while Outfitters may have that many allocations, the number is how many NR/NRA they actually took hunting last year.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
It is licenses purchased I believe, so while Outfitters may have that many allocations, the number is how many NR/NRA they actually took hunting last year.
Ok, so the outfitters only purchased 45% of their mule deer buck allocations last year (925/2073)...
and back calculating gives ~1100 landowner tags purchased.

I see how they get the math to work now.

So licenses actually sold are:
Residents 7670 79%
Outfitters 925 10%
Landowners 1100 11%

Its crazy to me that people are not buying all the drawn tags given the long wait time draw demand. And that with all the supposed un-used tags from the outfitters and residents, that the archery mule deer draw was such a slam dunk to impose.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Ok, so the outfitters only purchased 45% of their mule deer buck allocations last year (925/2073)...
and back calculating gives ~1100 landowner tags purchased.

I see how they get the math to work now.

So licenses actually sold are:
Residents 7670 79%
Outfitters 925 10%
Landowners 1100 11%

Its crazy to me that people are not buying all the drawn tags given the long wait time draw demand. And that with all the supposed un-used tags from the outfitters and residents, that the archery mule deer draw was such a slam dunk to impose.
Do not kid yourself.....the manifest destiny of SRD is to eventually control all species via a draw.

LC