Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 AM

Default Hornady Gmx in .224 / Barnes TSX

Anybody have any experience shooting these bullets ? Lots of comments on the larger calibers but haven't heard anything about these .
Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 AM

Love my barnes in .416 and .458, but I find that 30 cal and smaller always leave me with a very quickly fouled barrel so can't comment on the .224

Big reason you probably don't hear about them in .224 is cause here in AB as I'm sure you know, it's not a legal big game round, so why use a mono-metal that's gonna put an entry and exit hole in a coyote or what have you.

I'll tell you what though, if I could shoot my 22-250AI with a barnes on deer, I sure would be trying it at acceptable ranges of course.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 AM

A buddy of mine had used the old Barnes bullet on a couple for feral hogs I believe....if he reads this he will likely chime in.

Unless you are hog hunting or looking for wolves I don't know if you would need that much bullet for anything else in Alberta.

I would be concerned about ricochet and skipping if I was hunting coyotes in a populated area and using those as bullets....that would be a speedy bullet to use in the gopher patch too.

LC
Old 03-20-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleh01 View Post
Love my barnes in .416 and .458, but I find that 30 cal and smaller always leave me with a very quickly fouled barrel so can't comment on the .224

Big reason you probably don't hear about them in .224 is cause here in AB as I'm sure you know, it's not a legal big game round, so why use a mono-metal that's gonna put an entry and exit hole in a coyote or what have you.

I'll tell you what though, if I could shoot my 22-250AI with a barnes on deer, I sure would be trying it at acceptable ranges of course.
Yes I know it's not legal for big game , I have a good load for coyotes with another bullet but am toying with the idea of carrying the GMX/ Barnes in my extra clip in the case of having a wolf come in to my call .I know my current load isn't up to the task . I didn't know about their tendency to foul barrels quickly , but don't anticipate shooting many of them , just want something with better penetration . Thanx for the replies kalehO1 and Lefty
Old 03-20-2013, 02:00 PM

What are you currently using? Weight/Bullet/Caliber of Rifle?

With the fast .224 guns I can't think of many bullets I wouldn't try on wolves. Even the lightweight 40gr from Nosler would do the trick. I don't think you're gaining anything by going to a mono-metal just for wolves.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Yes I know it's not legal for big game , I have a good load for coyotes with another bullet but am toying with the idea of carrying the GMX/ Barnes in my extra clip in the case of having a wolf come in to my call .I know my current load isn't up to the task . I didn't know about their tendency to foul barrels quickly , but don't anticipate shooting many of them , just want something with better penetration . Thanx for the replies kalehO1 and Lefty
Maybe try the 55gr WW psp. not real pretty to look at, but its always worked good in my swift.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:20 PM

from your forum name, i assume your running a 22-250(h380 being bruce's go to powder in the cartridge). if so, you can buy 60 partitions if you think you need more bullet.
i'm kinda with shawn on worrying about the bullet on a wolf, if you get a 50 grainer in the boiler room that left your gun at 3000 or better, he's not going far, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
from your forum name, i assume your running a 22-250(h380 being bruce's go to powder in the cartridge). if so, you can buy 60 partitions if you think you need more bullet.
i'm kinda with shawn on worrying about the bullet on a wolf, if you get a 50 grainer in the boiler room that left your gun at 3000 or better, he's not going far, lee
LOL .. You got it , I'm kinda partial to the H380 . Currently shooting the Amax 52 gr at 3600fps . On coyotes it's a pinhole in and hardly ever an exit . My old go to load was the Hornady SP's 55 gr . Had lots of thump but produced so large holes on off side at times . Reason for lookng for an alternative to the Amax is I lost a wolf shot at 250 with the Amax , no snow to track and no chance for follow up shot . Found blood and searched the hills for 4 hrs that day and every chance I got for 2 weeks with no sign . I know I'm gonna hear all about placement and that is so true , but I feel I made a good shot .. just have nothing to show for it .Hence the wish for an alternative just in case . Thanx everyone for the replys .