Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
One of my hunting partners sent me this, his son got stuck in the field behind his place.

Is that Manning?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Redneck View Post
Is that Manning?
I was wondering that too.. heard they got 22" or something crazy ..
Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
I live in 526 and we have the same issue with Elk every year just across the river - I wanna say it's WMU 522 but I'd have to double check on that.. Not sure if you can get general's around there as we draw.

Anyway.. they're generally in herds of roughly 20 head, and are an utter pain in the butt to hunt without a sled... we haven't gotten an Elk in a few years due to the whole "well I could take the shot .. but then how do we get it out" situation. We've all been granted Cow Elk in our draw's for the past 4 or 5 years with no success.

My suggestion is don't give up, but make sure you're confident in your shot if you manage to find any because 'round here, you need to be sure the first shot will take down the Elk - even if it needs a second shot - the first shot needs to count because it's going to take you a while to hike out to him, especially if he runs as per usual before going down. If you simply wound the animal with a minor, non life threatening hit - you won't get your Elk.

This year we're getting creative and have 2 options. A 4x4 truck (no - not a truck with 4WH, but an off road 4x4 truck capable of trudging through about 1 ft of snow if it's relatively packed) or, plastic sled's hooked up to dogs to pack out quarters.

Best of luck!
You are not having success, getting an Elk in 526? Really? I lived in Manning for 7 years, and always got an Elk, they are everywhere.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
You are not having success, getting an Elk in 526? Really? I lived in Manning for 7 years, and always got an Elk, they are everywhere.
No - not in 526. I Live in 526. I wish we got Elk in 526!!

There's a decent amount of Elk across the river (as mentioned, I think it's 522 but I'd have to double check) where we end up with Draws for, but they're hard to get to without a sled.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:42 PM

I have been scouting along the river in 360 and up the white mud in 521 for the last 3 weeks, a small heard in ridge valley but nothing really moving besides that... Have 3 cow tags to fill in a November hunting party and several mule doe's as well as my general bull tag and the missus wants to fill her white tail tag.... It's been a busy fall and with 2000km logged on my vehicle never mind my feet I really haven't seen an abundance of animals around.... Except moose...

I'm off to fairview for school starting Monday so that's about all I can add to the thread...
Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Is that Manning?
That is La Crete
Old 10-23-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:

There's a decent amount of Elk across the river (as mentioned, I think it's 522 but I'd have to double check) where we end up with Draws for, but they're hard to get to without a sled.
You can buy a general Bull Elk tag for 526, you know that, right. Are you talking cow elk? Yes across the river is 522 and it would be tough without a sled.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
I have been scouting along the river in 360 and up the white mud in 521 for the last 3 weeks, a small heard in ridge valley but nothing really moving besides that... Have 3 cow tags to fill in a November hunting party and several mule doe's as well as my general bull tag and the missus wants to fill her white tail tag.... It's been a busy fall and with 2000km logged on my vehicle never mind my feet I really haven't seen an abundance of animals around.... Except moose...

I'm off to fairview for school starting Monday so that's about all I can add to the thread...
If you head out along the coulee hills on the North side of Dunvegan (south of Fairview) around 7:30 - 8:00 AM you'll see an abundance of Mulies. Once in a while you'll see White Tail. There's a White Tail hanging out in the bush at my fiance's parents farm at the top of the North side of Dunvegan, but she has 2 fawns.

My roommate headed out with his buddy from Calgary on Saturday morning and within 30 minutes had 2 Doe's.

There's still some undersubscribed Mule Doe tags for 526 (Fairview area), but it sounds like you've got tags up to your ears to fill already!

Old 10-23-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
You can buy a general Bull Elk tag for 526, you know that, right. Are you talking cow elk? Yes across the river is 522 and it would be tough without a sled.
Yeah I do, just haven't bothered ... are there many bulls up in your area? I've never seen an Elk around our area (Fairview), though haven't really looked. In 522, the Cow's seriously outnumber the bulls from what we've seen thus far.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah I do, just haven't bothered ... are there many bulls up in your area? I've never seen an Elk around our area (Fairview), though haven't really looked. In 522, the Cow's seriously outnumber the bulls from what we've seen thus far.
I presently live in Grande Prairie, and i shot a 6 X 5 Bull Elk on October 13th, just south of town, but i have seen lots of cows and bulls since then as well.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I presently live in Grande Prairie, and i shot a 6 X 5 Bull Elk on October 13th, just south of town, but i have seen lots of cows and bulls since then as well.

Hmmm... Now you have me thinking. Where'd you take down the bull?
Thanks for the input!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:13 PM

In WMU 356, south of Grande Prairie, basically right on the border of 356/357
can't say EXACTLY where, because i also have seen some Monster WT/Mulie that i need for my wall....lol
Old 10-25-2012, 12:33 PM

Default Elk Hunting 101

I am very surprised you would even consider elk hunting because the snow is deep, halfway through a season. To successfully hunt elk you need to scout up to 5 days for each day of hunting.Unless of course you want to shoot a "barnyard elk" Go behind the barn place your magnum rifle on fench post and shoot at a herd of elk at 500 plus yards and hope you hit something. Even to hunt barnyard elk you have to develop a relation ship with the farmer so he will give you permission to hunt in his canola field. Better let your elk hunt wait until next year when you do some proper scouting and preparation.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I am very surprised you would even consider elk hunting because the snow is deep, halfway through a season. To successfully hunt elk you need to scout up to 5 days for each day of hunting.Unless of course you want to shoot a "barnyard elk" Go behind the barn place your magnum rifle on fench post and shoot at a herd of elk at 500 plus yards and hope you hit something. Even to hunt barnyard elk you have to develop a relation ship with the farmer so he will give you permission to hunt in his canola field. Better let your elk hunt wait until next year when you do some proper scouting and preparation.
As you should with any quarry.

But it seems to me his thread says the weather has abnormally pooched his annual moose hunt and he does'nt want to let a season go without getting afield.

As a fellow hunter and sportsman I couldn't agree more. Trying out different hunts in new country is a blast.

Building hunter/ farmer relationships can only be achieved by getting out there to say hi and ask.

We're on this board to help each other, and for the most part it looks like most do.

I've never hunted Elk. Just moose and deer.

Maybe Riden has room for another?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:

There's LOTS of elk in 526-you just have to look for them.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
There's LOTS of elk in 526-you just have to look for them.
X2 Head west of Fairview and south of the highway towards the river, stop at farms and start asking for permission. Some farmers need people to hunt the elk.
good luck
Old 10-25-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Like I said, my mooose hunt is done. Camp is prepped, scouting was done, trip was planned; and it is all for not. That hunt is a bust.

So, what do I have to lose by going elk hunting? Worst case scenario I spend the weekend with my buddies, see some new territory and don't get an animal. That is still a pretty good weekend in my books.

That said, I really appreciate the PM's I received. Sure looks like some members have gone above and have provided a great deal of help. I hope I get to repay them someday.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperman View Post
X2 Head west of Fairview and south of the highway towards the river, stop at farms and start asking for permission. Some farmers need people to hunt the elk.
good luck

Live at the top of Dunvegan (north side), south of FV Never, ever seen an Elk; but there's an abundance of Mulies and Moose.

It's not a matter of not finding Elk in 526 - my tag zone is 522 for Elk and we always find them there.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
5 days of scouting for each one hunting eh.

There's snow on the ground now. Drive around on crown land until you find where the heard of elk has crossed the road, go for a walk and follow the heard until you catch up. Guarenteed you'll see elk.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Drive around on crown land until you find where the heard of elk has crossed the road, go for a walk and follow the heard until you catch up. Guarenteed you'll see elk.

x2 ^^
Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Like I said, my mooose hunt is done. Camp is prepped, scouting was done, trip was planned; and it is all for not. That hunt is a bust.

So, what do I have to lose by going elk hunting? Worst case scenario I spend the weekend with my buddies, see some new territory and don't get an animal. That is still a pretty good weekend in my books.

That said, I really appreciate the PM's I received. Sure looks like some members have gone above and have provided a great deal of help. I hope I get to repay them someday.
How did you make out? Any luck?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:30 PM

watch this, all pics and vids taken in 358.....
Pretty sure my old 84 8 wheeled Argo (with tracks) would make it into your cabin.
It might just take a few hours..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK2P8...o0rRUZDBtUmEkw