Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-17-2012, 05:37 PM

Default They only come out at night

hello fellow outdoorsmen. Im a new hunter, this is my first season. I own some land and have had my trail cam's set up all over the property. there is quite a bit of activity and it seems that the bucks only come out at night. What do I got to do to get my first buck? I have had a 5x5 a 4x4 and several young bucks spotted on cam. I have put down dominant buck **** on the scrapes I have found and set up in my blind 100yrds or more outside of the tree line near the scrape. I have tried rattle and grunts but I never see any action during the day. I'd really like to take my first animal on my own land but am I going to have to stray off the property to do so?

thanks for the help.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:43 PM

The rut is just getting going, hang in there and the bucks will be cruzing for chicks during the day. I have my luck in the last 2 weeks of November.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:47 PM

Default Bucks

You need to keep moving your cameras closer to the bedding area. If they are coming in from the let's say west. Move camera further west to try and catch them earlier in the day. Soon you will get a better idea of exactly where they are starting their daily journeys from. Do it in small incremental moves so your not in their bedroom to aggressively and spook em. Hope this makes sense and helps you get him.
Very good advice from SB123. The bucks really drop their guard as the rut heats up.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:52 PM

There has been buck **** as close as 50m from my house haha. and there is bedding areas in the same spots as well as close to the scrapes I have found. This guy showed up the other morning really close to first light. So hopefully I can get him. I will be out there pre-light tomorrow in hopes.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...0/PICT0005.jpg
Old 11-17-2012, 06:04 PM

Bucks don't like cameras. Espesially the bigger bucks. I would get rid of the cameras as u know already that they are there. To get them you have to be there at the right time. Good Luck and you will only have one shot at each. Bye the way , I am looking for a doe. Hope you get one
Old 11-17-2012, 07:50 PM

Default Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit View Post
hello fellow outdoorsmen. Im a new hunter, this is my first season. I own some land and have had my trail cam's set up all over the property. there is quite a bit of activity and it seems that the bucks only come out at night. What do I got to do to get my first buck? I have had a 5x5 a 4x4 and several young bucks spotted on cam. I have put down dominant buck **** on the scrapes I have found and set up in my blind 100yrds or more outside of the tree line near the scrape. I have tried rattle and grunts but I never see any action during the day. I'd really like to take my first animal on my own land but am I going to have to stray off the property to do so?

thanks for the help.
You might want to try getting in the woods off the main trail they are useing.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
You might want to try getting in the woods off the main trail they are useing.
Yep. Down wind. Tree stands can help disperse scent too. You have been trying to minimize your scent right?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:59 PM

I've been downwind generally from where I'm hunting and the day's I have been out its only been windy one of the days. The woods surrounding my hunting area are very dense and hunting in them would highly limit a good shot. this scrape I put buck urine on is about 20m from the tree line. also the main trail seems to be in the tree's
Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Banned

Have you been seeing any does? If you hunt wherever the does are for the rest of the month you'll likely find a buck tagging along like a puppy dog or even chasing them once the rut peaks this week.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit View Post
I've been downwind generally from where I'm hunting and the day's I have been out its only been windy one of the days. The woods surrounding my hunting area are very dense and hunting in them would highly limit a good shot. this scrape I put buck urine on is about 20m from the tree line. also the main trail seems to be in the tree's
Most game travel along the tree line out of site, and avoid open areas. Find an area down wind, or up high with an ok line of sight 20-100 yrds from game trail. You too should avoid the open areas, move slowly and set up.
Sometimes no matter what you do, it doesn't seem to work.
Good luck.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:08 AM
Banned

are you kidding us? your own land and youv'e seen that many deer and your thinking of hunting somewhere else? couple hours in the morning and a couple in the evening and you'll be posting a pic. soon.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
are you kidding us? your own land and youv'e seen that many deer and your thinking of hunting somewhere else? couple hours in the morning and a couple in the evening and you'll be posting a pic. soon.
Exactly and build treestand with a lazyboy with coffee makers. Hey its your land you can do whatever you want
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 AM

Default Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter View Post
Bucks don't like cameras. Espesially the bigger bucks. I would get rid of the cameras as u know already that they are there. To get them you have to be there at the right time. Good Luck and you will only have one shot at each. Bye the way , I am looking for a doe. Hope you get one
I have never yet in 6 years had a buck on camera that has not come back for multiple pics. I have been in the stand and watch them get their pic taken when the huge flash goes off, doesn't bother them at all. I have shot some big bucks that I have dozens of pics of. This time of year find the feed which will lead you to does which in turn will lead you to what your looking for. Good luck
Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 AM

Find the girls...............................bucks will come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and have a little....Patience.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 AM

Choke up a little at a time with your camera's.. As seasons change, patterns will as well, so keep a log of what your experiencing so your not second guessing yourself each season..

This spring, get out exploring and find the bedding areas, I say spring as you don't want to add pressure to these animals when they need to conserve their energy to make it through a tough winter.

Map your land as best you can, detail where the critters are spring through fall and adjust your cameras as seasons change to pattern your prey.

Once the second week of November kicks in, well throw everything you have learned away and set up on intersecting hot spots in anticipation of pre-rut and rutting activities.. Collection / feeder game trails will provide good opportunity's late season.

Enjoy your chunk of dirt, you one of the luck ones !
Old 11-18-2012, 02:12 PM

Almost every opprotunity I've ever had on pre-rut WT bucks occurs in the last 20 minutes of legal daylight. I get in position at least two hours before the end of legal hunting time, watch and quietly wait. It can be damn cold and boring but this has yielded many bucks.
As previously mentioned you should start seeing more bucks in daylight as the rut gets into full swing.