Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-22-2010, 11:56 PM

Default bicycle hunting

hey all,
I was just wondering if anyone uses bicycles for hunting for those who don't have quads or are hunting in a wmu where you cant use an OHV, grazing reserves and such. and places that are foot or horse access only, would they be a place where a bicycle would be acceptable, of course being powered buy muscles.

has anyone ever built a purpose built hunting bike? if so i would love to hear about the design.
Thanks!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:01 AM

I've seen lots of guys biking in the mountains looking for sheep. I guess you can, but not sure how I'd pack anything out...
We saw three guys biking down the road and looked down in the creek and saw a sow and a cub wandering in their same direction.. Shoulda been a good encounter when the road crossed the creek, but I didn't stick around..
Old 11-23-2010, 06:10 AM

WOW! Thats new to me. Have not heard of that one before.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:54 AM

I would like to know if those gun/bow racks you see on ATV handlebars would fit on my GIANT Reign mountain bike's handlebars, then I'd be interested in getting one of those bike trailers with the one big wheel in the back and a spacious cargo rack. I heard those are expensive and i havent seen them in Edmonton anywhere to even see a price.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 AM

I've used my bike.

Make sure you do a few close to home hunts to work out the quinks in your plan/system.

i packed a quarter elk out on my bike rack last year for 4km
Old 11-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Banned

bikes are great for coyote hunting because you make almost noise getting into position just bring a knife with you and you can take back as many skins as you get without getting too tired from all the walking
Old 11-23-2010, 09:23 AM

I would like to know if those gun/bow racks you see on ATV handlebars would fit on my GIANT Reign mountain bike's handlebars,

Yes

Old 11-23-2010, 09:44 AM

I bought my mountain bike from a sheep hunter who was buying a higher quaility unit. Like some have noted above they have had some interesting encounters with bears and other wildlife (mostly coming down the trails and after dark).
I have used mine around the farm for coyotes to cover the long distances to favorite calling cover in the area and the ranch we hunt elk, moose and some deer has a no driving policy with any motorized vehicle but you also can't hunt with in a mile of the buildings so we often use the bikes in the morning and at night to cover that mile.
Even carted it down to cypress hills one year for many of the roads leading back to coulees were closed to vehicles so it was much faster using the bike to cover 1/2 mile or so of prairie to get to the prime cover.
Rob
Old 11-23-2010, 11:20 AM

this if from a few weeks ago.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=bike+hunting