Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2013, 06:25 PM

Default Under armour "Cold Gear"

My wife spent good money on a camo under armour "base layer" for myself. Not sure the point of Camo long johns but hey, you never know. That said these things provide absolutely no warmth and I think I'd be better off with nothing underneath. I guess the main thing is to wick moisture away but "Cold Gear" implies this is for cold weather....am I missing something? Do I have to buy three more layers of "Armour" to be warm.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:30 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layered_clothing
Old 12-09-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
My wife spent good money on a camo under armour "base layer" for myself. Not sure the point of Camo long johns but hey, you never know. That said these things provide absolutely no warmth and I think I'd be better off with nothing underneath. I guess the main thing is to wick moisture away but "Cold Gear" implies this is for cold weather....am I missing something? Do I have to buy three more layers of "Armour" to be warm.
I think the UA cold gear is the stuff to keep you cool. Not kidding. I have a few cold gear shirts that are meant for exercising in the heat.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:57 PM

I too was confused by some UA I had bought about 4 years back, and I probably still am, and for the same reason. Is the cold gear to keep you warm in the cold, or to cool you in the heat? I remember figuring it out by checking some of the oppositely labelled product "HeatGear" and buying a piece of each. I recall the one built to wear in cold weather wicked very well, still a bit excessively IIRC, but wasn't that bad otherwise. I prefer quality brands of merino wool. The UnderArmor sure took a sample of BO and ran with it though
Old 12-09-2013, 07:06 PM

I have it too, I'm not a fan. For the money never again. I go with Helly Hansens everytime.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM

UA has three layer base 1, 2 and 3. Three is the cold weather underwear and it works great. Big thick air trapping waffles and moisture wicks. I also have a base 1 and it's like a thin polyester 70's shirt (used in hot weather).

Wondering if you have a silky base layer1 hoping it will be a base layer3????
Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I prefer quality brands of merino wool.
I've been working Ft. McMurray winters for awhile now and only recently discovered how warm this stuff is. I now wear 2 layers of merino wool blend top and bottom, a pullover sweater and FR shirt and pants. That's all I need in -30º unless I'm standing around for awhile. People think I must be freezing but I'm usually warmer than they are, I tell people to spend good money on quality winter gear. I like the T-Max brand at Mark's but any decent merino blend will do, 100% is good but seems to wear out pretty quick.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:35 PM

The cold gear is rated for under 55 degrees F and the heat gear is for above 75 degrees F. Is also made to transfer moisture quickly keeping you dry.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:36 PM

I think UA base layers are total crap. I fell victim to the propaganda and advertising, but never again. As said above, merino wool is the absolute best base layer you can buy. It keeps you warm when wet and doesn't stink after days in the field. I have First Lite merino wool base layers and would highly recommend them.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
The cold gear is rated for under 55 degrees F and the heat gear is for above 75 degrees F. Is also made to transfer moisture quickly keeping you dry.
I wore a UA golf shirt last night at Jubulations and iit kept me nice and cool as the heat from everyone rose. Love it.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:30 PM

The UA stuff has not left the closet since I found merino wool. There is no comparison, and merino wool does not get gamie like UA either.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:22 PM

I have worked outside in construction for the better part of twenty years, and absolutely nothing compares to good old wool. Those stupid UA underwear look good on a model in the shop window but are next to useless. If you want the best winter underwear go with merino wool Stanfields. They have full body and bottoms/tops. The bottoms have enough crotch you can pull them practically to you armpits, the tops have enough length to go half way to your knees. Tuck the top into the bottoms and your back will never get that cold breeze when your bent over framing all day. They sure don't look sexy, but my wife don't mind as long as I bring home a paycheck.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchammer View Post
I have worked outside in construction for the better part of twenty years, and absolutely nothing compares to good old wool. Those stupid UA underwear look good on a model in the shop window but are next to useless. If you want the best winter underwear go with merino wool Stanfields. They have full body and bottoms/tops. The bottoms have enough crotch you can pull them practically to you armpits, the tops have enough length to go half way to your knees. Tuck the top into the bottoms and your back will never get that cold breeze when your bent over framing all day. They sure don't look sexy, but my wife don't mind as long as I bring home a paycheck.
So far Stanfields have been my favorite. I'll also add to buy them from Walmart and not Marks. They seem to be exactly the same thing other than the price. I am trying Kodiak's out right now and am liking them also. Not quite as comfortable as Stanfields though.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:19 PM

LL Bean 100% merino wool! Free shipping too
Old 12-11-2013, 03:20 PM

i love my UA, i think mine are the 3.0 so good till -20 i think, i cant remember the exact temp, but they work great when ice fishing
Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Banned

since this thread is specifically about UA....the cold gear is designed for cold...to keep you warm. i use it and love it. the fleecy interior feels just sweet against the skin, and in layers it is quite warm with minimal bulk. if you overheat, it wicks moisture off the skin and dries in very short order. the tight hugging fit is designed to keep muscles tight and compressed which is supposed to reduce fatigue over the long haul. that said it isnt magic. if youre overweight and out of shape, you will still be sucking air....

the stuff works and works very well. the only real knock i can give it is that it will ripen after a few days of continual wear. i guess my question for that is.....why not just wash it? i have a couple sets and even when im away for extended hunting trips...a laundry run every 8-9 days isnt that hard to make happen.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:38 PM

I have long ago learned that wool, sheepskin, fur and leather are the warmest. All of the high teck stuff made for layering is just expensive crap for the urban libertard crowd.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:46 PM

Glad I read this. Saved me some money.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:01 PM

UA is the best stuff made in my opinion. Love the stuff
Old 12-11-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
since this thread is specifically about UA....the cold gear is designed for cold...to keep you warm. i use it and love it. the fleecy interior feels just sweet against the skin, and in layers it is quite warm with minimal bulk. if you overheat, it wicks moisture off the skin and dries in very short order. the tight hugging fit is designed to keep muscles tight and compressed which is supposed to reduce fatigue over the long haul. that said it isnt magic. if youre overweight and out of shape, you will still be sucking air....

the stuff works and works very well. the only real knock i can give it is that it will ripen after a few days of continual wear. i guess my question for that is.....why not just wash it? i have a couple sets and even when im away for extended hunting trips...a laundry run every 8-9 days isnt that hard to make happen.

The "Cold Gear" set I have is like spandex, no fleecy interior. Must be different types of Cold gear...
Old 12-11-2013, 09:29 PM

I have both the spandex kind and the fleecy kind of under armour cold gear and I like them alot, work great for me
Old 12-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
The "Cold Gear" set I have is like spandex, no fleecy interior. Must be different types of Cold gear...
must be the 1.0??? i have the 2.0 and it has a fleecy soft interior against the skin. the 3.0 has a waffle type texture to trap air. as the number goes up the insulation value goes up. during last weeks brutal temps at wainwright, i wore the 2.0 base layer, an under armor cold gear zip up, and a UA hoodie over that. a nylon shell jacket over that to stop the wind and i was actually too warm when moving. if i sat too long i would cool off, but hiking the hills at the camp, i was overdressed. i had UA 2.0 base on the bottom half as well with sitka 90% pants and gaiters over that. the bottom was about right. i guess i should have been carrying layers in a pack to cover every situation....but i hate carrying stuff if i can avoid it.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:11 AM

I can't wear UA for more than a few hours. My body hair works through it, and then it's itchy and very uncomfortable. Merino wool works best for me.
Costco has some light-weight, 100% Merino wool, long sleeve t-shirts on now for $20.00. Great for every-day wear or a light base layer.

In the cold I wear Merino wool, then a 'blue john' or waffle-type shirt, then Columbia fleece, then outer-wear - and peel off layers as the sun comes up!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:05 AM

I have a pair of UA Evo Cold running pants, and they are the warmest pants I have ever run in! Anything above -10C, and long johns make them too warm! Even in the wind! Great stuff!
To the guy who posted about LL Bean, they are great! Excellent customer service and free shipping! Can't go wrong!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:38 AM

A couple of years ago I got the cold gear for Christmas and tried it out on the line the next weekend and froze. Came home did a little research and found out the cold gear ( spandex) was to cool you off. So I ended up buying the one that keeps you warm. It's okay but your are better off with Dakota long underwear for the price.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Banned

the very best long johns i have found are the "dry wear" brand at marks. i've found that fleese is the warmest even if it gets wet. (goes for gloves also).
Old 12-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcrazy View Post
A couple of years ago I got the cold gear for Christmas and tried it out on the line the next weekend and froze. Came home did a little research and found out the cold gear ( spandex) was to cool you off.
you reading comprehension may need some work.....

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/ca/e...ure-guide/mens

Ideal for days when it's 55° F and

below, ColdGear® features a dual-layer fabric

that wicks moisture from the skin and

circulates body heat – keeping you warm

without ever weighing you down