Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Default Can 4th class power engineer make $35+ per hour?

Hey I just got my 4th class power engineer ticket, and I'm wondering if I can get a better paying job with this ticket, comparing to my current job. (My current job pays $35 per hour, with NO over time)

Any information will be appreciated.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 AM

That's likely all a 4th will make, some 4th get mid $20 / hr, depending on location, building Op, food plant, chem plant, oilsands etc. Some sectors a 4th will get you near $50 / hr in time. Depends on progression system.
Your $35 / hr, near $75K, ($100 k with moderate OT) annual is the upper 20% income bracket of jobs in Canada. upper 35% in AB. Eastern Canada brings our average income down, ha.

What's so bad about your $35 / hr job ? Any chance for advancement or progression ? Sometimes change is taking a chance.

TBark
Old 08-26-2011, 12:11 PM

In the oilsands, a fourth class can get you over $55 per hour, and enough double time overtime to make over $200,000 per year.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:05 PM

Once you work your way up through the progression in the company I work for, you can get up to a little over 45$/hr. Takes about 3.5yrs.

RD
Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
In the oilsands, a fourth class can get you over $55 per hour, and enough double time overtime to make over $200,000 per year.
Possible yes, I was assuming OP "engineering" was a younger fellow searching a career path. Maybe he is middle aged and makimg a career move. A few things would have to be alligned right and a few concessions made to get a 4th class this kinda cash. A guy would have to live in Ft Mac, or fly in / out, being away from your family. And those Oilsands companies hire more for experience and will then pay $50 -ish for a 4th, but likely not to a younger fellow. They look more-so for 40 ish yr old operator with experinence. $35 - 40 is the going rate for younger operators with 4th in Ft Mac. Work your way up. But nice of you to tell him what may lay ahead for a 4th class operator.
Could happen.
And then there's the contract operator gig, don't get me started on that, ha.

TBark
Old 08-26-2011, 04:30 PM

I work in the oilsands and don't know many 4ths that make 200000. If you do your working a ton of OT and single. Typically 35 isnt bad but usually have to prove yourself and work your way up the job progression chain. Yes there is usally lots of OT but most companies also preach "quality of life" and will limit OT. If your married working lots of OT its hard on family life. If your single and want the cash have at it. Yes it is a very good career choice but usually have to put your time in working shift work and ultimately you want to get your second then your set. Lots of week in/ week out stuff now so if thats your gig shouldnt be to hard to find if your looking.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
And those Oilsands companies hire more for experience and will then pay $50 -ish for a 4th, but likely not to a younger fellow.
The problem is, that there aren't enough experienced people to go around, so they end up hiring younger inexperienced people, and they pay what it takes to get them. I know many under 30 year old operators that are making $55 or more per hour.

Quote:
$35 - 40 is the going rate for younger operators with 4th in Ft Mac.
That is the rate for starting 4th class operators. Within a few years, they can easily be making $55 plus. Most companies will pay to put them through third class training within a few years, and then they collect the top wages. If you hire on at 20 years old, you can easily be making top money before you are 25.

Quote:
Yes there is usally lots of OT but most companies also preach "quality of life" and will limit OT.
And some companies are so short of operators that they are begging their operators to work overtime whenever they are willing.

Don't forget to include the retention programs and thrift plans when you calculate wages.20% or more is the going rate for retention plans.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:46 PM

So I would say 26 to 29 is the going rate for someone who would be home every night with their family. $35.00 is nothing to balk at, its a great livable wage for an unspoiled tradesman!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:18 PM

Oilsands industry can stretch from east side of Edm to 200 mi north of Ft MaC. You didn't say Elk, but I take it you are in Ft Mac ? That's one draw-back, LOL, kidding sort of, but somewhat true.

I'm in Scotford Expansion, 3rd class Op, fortunate to be where I am, I'm home 15 min after work every day or night. No diff on pay whether you have a 4th or a 3rd, small kick for a 2nd. But different pay for age & experience, 40 + yr old ops are hired for experience and most skip to top rate within a year. Top Op pay is only a % or 2 off Ft Mac rates. Our younger ops start 2 - 3 levels under the top and work their way up, 5 - 7 yrs min to get up there. And there's a line-up to get in here.

I understand what you say Elk about Co's paying what they need to to get people, but that's up north, Edm area Compaines seems to pay what they have to also, but for our area, being so close to Edm, younger Ops start low, but not low compared to other jobs. It'll pay the bills.

TBark
Old 08-26-2011, 07:57 PM

NO it won't. To make that kind of money you need at least a second class. i myself had a 4th class.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:58 PM

starting wage for a 4th out here is around the $30 mark depending on previous experience. after 4-5 years you would be in the $40 mark
Old 08-26-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Oilsands industry can stretch from east side of Edm to 200 mi north of Ft MaC.
I posted "in the oilsands" . The plants around Fort Mcmurray are located in the oilsands , Scotford may refine bitumen that comes from the oilsands, but it isn't "in the oilsands".
Old 08-27-2011, 04:40 AM

Seems like the oil patch way..........to make 35 per hour and still look for more somewhere else!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:12 AM
waylow

If you can't make it on 35 an hour, you should really consider changing your lifestyle. Frick, 35 is an excellent wage.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:26 AM

4ths where i work in central alberta make well over the $35 . I would encourage 3rd class if you want to be more valuable at more plants.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:08 PM

The oilfield company i work for pays 55-60 for 4th class ops contracting though not hired on..

When I was working for Tolko the starting rate was around 30 and you could work up to 35 if i remember right..
Old 08-27-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I posted "in the oilsands" . The plants around Fort Mcmurray are located in the oilsands , Scotford may refine bitumen that comes from the oilsands, but it isn't "in the oilsands".

Actually they are downstream oilsands, I work there! Believe me we are classed as oilsands in every way!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Actually they are downstream oilsands, I work there! Believe me we are classed as oilsands in every way!
A map of the Alberta Oilsands.

http://www.ags.gov.ab.ca/graphics/cb...sands_map2.jpg

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-27-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:23 PM

Whatever, the post was about 4th class wages.
My oilsands industry paycheque arrives every 2 weeks and I don't live up there.

TBark
Old 08-27-2011, 05:37 PM

Default 4th class power engineer

Are there any 4th or 5th class power engineers looking for full time work in Calgary. I work for a property management Co and we are looking for a bldg operator

Bob
Old 08-28-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

Of course we are not located in the oilsands!!!!!
But were still classed as oilsands as our feed is 100% from the mine we own up there!!

Hence being classed as downstream oil sands.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
Of course we are not located in the oilsands!!!!!
But were still classed as oilsands as our feed is 100% from the mine we own up there!!

Hence being classed as downstream oil sands.
So.......what about the upgraders in the states that take oilsands as their feedstock. Pretty sure we are talking "oilsands" in refering to being stuck in a isolated camp or having to live in Cr@p Mac. Hence, the insanley high wages for a 4th class.

By the sounds of it, my 2nd class arse needs to start shopping around!
Old 08-28-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
So.......what about the upgraders in the states that take oilsands as their feedstock. Pretty sure we are talking "oilsands" in refering to being stuck in a isolated camp or having to live in Cr@p Mac.
That is exactly what I was talking about. The accommodations and expenses are higher in the actual oilsands, so the wages are higher. If the wages weren't higher, people wouldn't come here to work. The OP asked if he could make more than $35 per hour, and I pointed out that he could make over $55 per hour in the oilsands as well as get plenty of overtime. Whether or not a person wants to work in the oilsands, is up to them.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:45 AM

Default hint....

Don't stop at your 4th....ever.

If you can do your 4th, you can complete the 3rd ...with enough hours of course.

You open up so many more choices with a 3rd or even 2nd if that is in your sights.....
Old 08-28-2011, 10:03 PM

You don't even need a ticket to work at "Suncor Refinery Edmonton" old Petro-Can. Only the utility guys need the tickets and the rest of the refinery "rides" off of them. Grade 12 and a contact to get you in and you can be at $47/hr in 5 years right off the street. Scary but thats the way they role.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Banned

not to derail the topic here but what's involved in power engineering, how do you get the ticket, how long does it take etc, may be in for a career change soon.thanks for any info.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmike68 View Post
You don't even need a ticket to work at "Suncor Refinery Edmonton" old Petro-Can. Only the utility guys need the tickets and the rest of the refinery "rides" off of them. Grade 12 and a contact to get you in and you can be at $47/hr in 5 years right off the street. Scary but thats the way they role.
What are the seconds making? Just curious
Old 08-29-2011, 05:34 AM

Default 2nd Class Ticket

So how much would a 2nd Class with 35 years of heavy oil experince make in Fort Mc. Also is there many contract operator jobs for a 58 year old 2nd who wants to work till about 63 then retire out of oil
Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 AM

Default Here

Here where I work a 4th with no experience starts out around $32 an hour + 28%. Supplied housing (nice places), paid utilities (minus phone and tv), lots of overtime paid out as double and many other perks. A 3rd is actually required but they will accept the odd fourth on occasion. A 3rd will start you around $38 and up plus the perks from above. A 2nd class will fetch you about $45-$53 plus perks based on experience. We are all light oil and gas here. No oilsand relations.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
So.......what about the upgraders in the states that take oilsands as their feedstock. Pretty sure we are talking "oilsands" in refering to being stuck in a isolated camp or having to live in Cr@p Mac. Hence, the insanley high wages for a 4th class.

By the sounds of it, my 2nd class arse needs to start shopping around!

HEY!!!
THIS IS MY HOME and my son and daughter were raised here.
I don't HAVE to live in Ft. mcMurray., I PREFER to live here.

I live in Town and have since 1973.
Just because you do not like it doesn't give you the right to trash it, because when you do, you are trashing the townsfolk.
I am SICK AND TIRED of people thinking that the Ft. is nothing more than some crap hole that you only make money in because you wan to be somewhere else.
Cat