Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-11-2019, 01:15 PM

Default Clamp or pedestal for tying vise

Looking at getting a peak rotary vise but not sure what vase would be best for tying streamers. Never use a pedestal but really like the idea that you can set it up anywhere. Do you find they move around too much when tying big streamers pulling tight heavy thread?
Old 11-11-2019, 01:47 PM

Pedestal. It's so nice to be able to place the vice where you want it. Most of the time when I am winding thread my left hand is on the barrel of the vice anyway, so I never noticed any movement.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-11-2019, 02:30 PM

I just bought my first pedestal vise... it's pretty sweet and I wouldnt go back to clamp.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:30 PM

Have used various clamp vises for almost 50 years of tying; the clamp holder is an integral part of my fly tying bench. That being said on several trips to the coast I have clamped a vise to a motel table. I guess if you're frequently going to tie in different places and need the portability then a pedestal would be the way to go.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:06 AM

I don’t like pedestal vices because when I am tying big streamers where you need to pull the thread with a little extra force you have to stabilize your vice with one hand. If I ever grow a third hand I may switch lol
Old 11-12-2019, 02:35 PM

How do you find the height on a pedistal base. Just a bit nervous on having no height adjustment.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:05 PM

I have been using my Peak vice in a base for many years. It is great. No worries about screwing up the dining room table. Or I can take it anywhere I want and I'm set up and ready to tie in a second. I liked it so much that I bought a second base for my back up vice. Just in case someone comes over and wants to tie flies and learn a few things. It is good when your teaching someone how to do a particular pattern or a particular procedure. (Spinning deer hair- Whip finishing - making a post pattern. or whatever. )
Old 11-13-2019, 09:10 AM

I have owned both pedestal and clamp over the years. By far I use the pedestal vices, much more versatile no matter where you tie. With a clamp you need to find the right thickness of table for the clamp opening and one that you don’t mind “scratching”. I find that a good quality pedestal is solid with no movement. Have tied on and owned the Universal, Law, Renzetti, Peak, Anvil, HMH and Norvice. Often doing demo tying and teaching and working in Fly Shops.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 11-28-2019, 04:16 PM

Pedestal, you can use them anywhere. I made my own from a piece of 1/2" steel plate, 4"x7". It is very solid when tying large flies or spinning hair.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:04 PM

I found that the jaws on a clamp vice seldom fit picnic tables, eo now it's a pedestal Renzetti for mobility, but on my more permanent table in the man-cave, a Norvice on a large plywood base - not very portable.