Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2018, 05:26 PM

Crazy. Flames Oilers Canucks are 1, 2, 3 in the west standings.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-02-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Crazy. Flames Oilers Canucks are 1, 2, 3 in the west standings.
If by 1, 2, 3 in the west you actually mean 2, 6, 5 in the West, you'd be correct.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:36 PM

Was the 5 min major to avs last night a good call?
Old 11-02-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Certainly!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 11-02-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen it in slow motion, but from the normal replay, I'd say no. Doesn't look like he was charging, left his feet, or made initial contact with the head. I'm not even sure it was worthy of a penalty.

What do you think Moose?

Roper1, why do you feel it was a major?
Old 11-02-2018, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I haven't seen it in slow motion, but from the normal replay, I'd say no. Doesn't look like he was charging, left his feet, or made initial contact with the head. I'm not even sure it was worthy of a penalty.

What do you think Moose?

Roper1, why do you feel it was a major?
We need someone to post a replay... Ill look. I'm thinking "**** hit on ****" might work for a search.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:

What do you think Moose?

Roler1, why do you feel it was a major?
I never seen it yet. My coworker who is the flames number 1 fanboy.(he even worked at the saddle dome for 5 years to be close to the flames) says it was a good hit. He was quite adamant that it was the turning point in the game. He’s happy for the W but didn’t like the call. I say bad calls are a part of hockey and it can just as easily gone the other way too.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
I never seen it yet. My coworker who is the flames number 1 fanboy.(he even worked at the saddle dome for 5 years to be close to the flames) says it was a good hit. He was quite adamant that it was the turning point in the game. He’s happy for the W but didn’t like the call. I say bad calls are a part of hockey and it can just as easily gone the other way too.
Maybe its the league cracking down on concussions/serious injuries. Ive seen as bad or worse get a minor in the past... it was a violent hit though. Maybe its good if they establish some boundaries.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Maybe its the league cracking down on concussions/serious injuries. Ive seen as bad or worse get a minor in the past... it was a violent hit though.
He said the d man should of got the penalty for such a suicide pass.... lol
Old 11-02-2018, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
He said the d man should of got the penalty for such a suicide pass.... lol
I only got a quick look at it... I'ld have to see a replay to form an opinion.

What were the names of hitter and hitee again?
Old 11-02-2018, 07:44 PM

Here is the hit in question...he didn't leave feet, and I don't think the head contact was intentional. Scott Stevens made a living doing that, and far worse. Head on a swivel, but good for Bennett to jump in quick. It was the turning point for sure.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O2WuSrHSyZY

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-02-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Here is the hit in question...he didn't leave feet, and I don't think the head contact was intentional. Scott Stevens made a living doing that, and far worse. Head on a swivel, but good for Bennett to jump in quick. It was the turning point for sure.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O2WuSrHSyZY
Textbook charging
Old 11-02-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
Textbook charging
Fair enough, but not sure it warranted a major...and I like Jankowski. The problem was the pass, Cole sure saw the opportunity and lowered the boom. Jankowski got right up, so I don't see an egregious hit (say like Raffi Torres did on Seabrook, leaving his feet all the time)....give him two for charging, and offsetting for the fight with Bennett.

But glad they scored on the pp...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-02-2018, 08:40 PM

He took 3-4 big strides to get into Jankowki's lane. His left arm is off his stick early & snaps Jank's head back pretty good. The second angle replay seems to confirm that. Scott Steven's was too slow to get into different lanes, he just stepped into them if they turned east/west.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Banned

Its funny how that works... maybe Bennet's shenanigans were what gave the Flames the adrenalin boost they needed.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
He took 3-4 big strides to get into Jankowki's lane. His left arm is off his stick early & snaps Jank's head back pretty good. The second angle replay seems to confirm that. Scott Steven's was too slow to get into different lanes, he just stepped into them if they turned east/west.
Valimaki took 3 or 4 big strides to make his hit that brought about the game tying goal....(granted, he was the one who went down), but a very similar hit, maybe no head contact, and no penalty. But it also could fit the 'textbook definition' of charging then....but it was a clean hit, no penalty. I don't see it being much different, other than Jankowski was vulnerable because of that horrible pass, and the Av player wasn't when Valimaki tagged him. Or maybe I'm just too old school and like a physical game? I'm open to being wrong on the way I see it. Here is Valimaki hit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1WMnst3a2no

Old 11-02-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Valimaki took 3 or 4 big strides to make his hit that brought about the game tying goal....(granted, he was the one who went down), but a very similar hit, maybe no head contact, and no penalty. But it also could fit the 'textbook definition' of charging then....but it was a clean hit, no penalty. I don't see it being much different, other than Jankowski was vulnerable because of that horrible pass, and the Av player wasn't when Valimaki tagged him. Or maybe I'm just too old school and like a physical game? I open to being wrong on the way I see it. Here is Valimaki hit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1WMnst3a2no
Yessir I could be viewing it wrong also. Watching it on TV, Janks going down reminded me of Marc Savard. Maybe that clouds it for me some. I love old school, think there's not enough fighting, but don't like the vulnerable shots.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:28 PM

I agree on that, when a player is vulnerable like Jank's taking that pass...ease up!

But! I see way too many young players turning their backs to what would otherwise be good hits, making themselves vulnerable instead of protecting themselves!

Don't players learn how to give and take hits anymore? Kids get hurt because of their own decision to turn away, and somebody gets a major for boarding that didn't have to be.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:28 PM
Banned

Millennials took over and ruined the game. Open ice shoulder on shoulder hit and the tears start flowing.
It’s no wonder players turn down opportunities for hits because even clean ones result in a fight, suspension or fines.
In the last 3 seasons the NHL has changed so drastically it’s scary. Before you know it players will be in full cages, double the padding and not be allowed to cuss.
But goaltending safety is the opposite. Pads shrunk the last two years and there’s plans to shrink them even further.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:47 PM

Rittich gets the start.

I find myself expecting them to win when Rittich starts and hoping they win when Smith starts.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Rittich gets the start.

I find myself expecting them to win when Rittich starts and hoping they win when Smith starts.
I totally concur! Glad it's Rittich. And keep starting him! After Smith's season so far, what have they got to lose!?

Old 11-03-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
Textbook charging
I agree on the charging, but 2 min penalty and move on. Was not worth a major and a game IMO.
Bennett did great st defending, and for sure pumped up the team to get the win.
Bring on the Hawks.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:08 PM

Alright! Shut down Kane and Debrincat, solid D, Rittich in net, light up Crawford and let's GO FLAMES!!

Old 11-03-2018, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Alright! Shut down Kane and Debrincat, solid D, Rittich in net, light up Crawford and let's GO FLAMES!!
DK hit the showers early. Classy move to stick around and see if the young guy is ok.

The passing tonight is out of this world. Just beautiful!
Old 11-03-2018, 08:27 PM

Passing is great, but for the life of me I don't understand Johnny's pass on Monahan's goal when he was looking at empty net...Glad Mon scored, but sometimes Johnny could shoot instead of looking for him.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
DK hit the showers early. Classy move to stick around and see if the young guy is ok.

The passing tonight is out of this world. Just beautiful!
What happened?
Old 11-03-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
What happened?
Keith caught Dube behind net, but really Dube turned into hit and was his own fault for getting face planted in boards...always that turn, for god's sake smarten up and protect yourself kids!...anyway, Keith got five and game, should have only been two. Wasn't a dirty hit at all....

Old 11-03-2018, 08:51 PM

Was nice to see Kieth stick around to make sure Dube OK.
That 2nd penalty to give the 5 on 3 was Weak. Then a no call
when Neil gets hooked enough to turn him?? Again stay out of it Refs.
I agree Twisted Johnny needs to get back to shooting, H has turned into a
pass first player for sure.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:02 PM

Yes, that 'holding' call Hamonic took on Saad was non existent. Zebras need to stop mucking with game, or call both ways at least.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:08 PM

So.... yous boys winnin r whut?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."