Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-09-2014, 05:35 PM

Smile New world of pellet guns

I finally made the move from a springer to a PCP. I had bought a gamo at cabelas, it was fine short range like 15-20 yards ,nothing to crazy accurate and further shots forget about it. So I made the plunge picked up my first PCP and sooooo happy I did for what Im looking for. Got to play with it today and shooting at 50 yards and it grouped quite well atleast for my liking . 5 shot groups. probably could have grouped better with a better rest than that plastic sled lol

pic of my baby
Old 08-09-2014, 05:50 PM

Beauty! How much did it cost ya?
Old 08-09-2014, 06:53 PM

Look out magpies
Old 08-09-2014, 07:05 PM

Ahh, a Hatsan. Good first choice for breaking into the world of PCPs. Welcome to the dark side

You will want to fill it up to 3000 PSI and start shooting through a chronograph. Your velocity will start low and then start to raise, then plateau for a bit then fall again. Once you get to the plateau find out what pressure your tube is at. Then check again once it starts to fall.

This is the "sweet spot" that will give you the most accuracy.

There is a lot of info and some mods to get more out of it if you want. http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/index.php
Old 08-11-2014, 12:19 PM

you can get into PCP's from anywhere of $250 to $1500, just depends where your price point is. PCP's do require more accessories such as a pump or air tank, then you need scope, yada yada, and there are always mods to do. good way to get in is buy the kit of someone looking to get out or upgrade. canadian airgun forum is a good place to look. super pleased
Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
Beauty! How much did it cost ya?
sparrows better look out, tired of them killing my baby treesparrows in the boxes urghhhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Look out magpies
good eye, already did my mods, even put a regulator in tube, found my sweet spot and groupings got even better once regulator added not that is was bad as you can see lol. would like to find a sbca tank as the 90/4500 tank isnt quite big enough and have no desire to use a manual pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
Ahh, a Hatsan. Good first choice for breaking into the world of PCPs. Welcome to the dark side

You will want to fill it up to 3000 PSI and start shooting through a chronograph. Your velocity will start low and then start to raise, then plateau for a bit then fall again. Once you get to the plateau find out what pressure your tube is at. Then check again once it starts to fall.

This is the "sweet spot" that will give you the most accuracy.

There is a lot of info and some mods to get more out of it if you want. http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/index.php
Old 08-13-2014, 06:31 PM

Looks good! Did you chronograph it? Looks like they are putting out a lot of energy. Those look like .22" holes? Did you try it with many pellets?

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:37 PM

hopefully this weekend will chony but im guessing around 920fps. They definitely are putting out allot of energy, going thru 3/4" board at 50yards like butter. this is a .177 and using plain ol 10.5mm heavy Crossman pellets,seems to like it. Want to try some H&N in heavy weight. My sweet spots seems to be around 180Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Looks good! Did you chronograph it? Looks like they are putting out a lot of energy. Those look like .22" holes? Did you try it with many pellets?