Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-15-2014, 11:38 PM

Default SPFGA Range memberships -2015

Members holding current Range memberships will receive renewal invitations starting about mid September. In order to act on this opportunity for priority status, applications (with payment) must submitted by December 15. Purchase procedures and applications will be posted on the club website spfga.org.
Note: Late member applications will be given no priority over new applicants.

Applications from new members will not be accepted prior to Jan 01, 2015. Applications will be date stamped and processed in the order recieved. Due to the potential high volume of new applicants, it is possible that no new members will be admitted prior to Feb, 01, 2025. All new members will require an on-site Orientation prior to receipt of their card.

The Executive will be establishing the cap size within the next month. It is possible the cap will remain at 4500 (but change cannot be ruled out. The best advice for prospective new members, is to apply early in January. Given past experience, it is doubtful the window of opportunity will be open for long.

Keep checking the website for relevant information. Note: Fee schedules are changing for 2015.

Note: Prospective members should check the website to familiarize themselves with Range Rules nod expectations prior to application.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 08-15-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Members holding current Range memberships will receive renewal invitations starting about mid September. In order to act on this opportunity for priority status, applications (with payment) must submitted by December 15. Purchase procedures and applications will be posted on the club website spfga.org.
Note: Late member applications will be given no priority over new applicants.

Applications from new members will not be accepted prior to Jan 01, 2015. Applications will be date stamped and processed in the order recieved. Due to the potential high volume of new applicants, it is possible that no new members will be admitted prior to Feb, 01, 2025. All new members will require an on-site Orientation prior to receipt of their card.

The Executive will be establishing the cap size within the next month. It is possible the cap will remain at 4500 (but change cannot be ruled out. The best advice for prospective new members, is to apply early in January. Given past experience, it is doubtful the window of opportunity will be open for long.

Keep checking the website for relevant information. Note: Fee schedules are changing for 2015.

Note: Prospective members should check the website to familiarize themselves with Range Rules nod expectations prior to application.
Hey 260 Rem, is this a typo? I sure hope so.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
Hey 260 Rem, is this a typo? I sure hope so.
Thanks for proof reading! A practice with which I am obviously not familiar. The correct date is Feb 01, 2015.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:57 AM

I just thought that I would ask. With all the problems at the SGGC, there could easily be a 10 year waiting list.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Precisionshooter

As usual Jim great work and thanks.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:41 PM

Hi Jim. I know you don't speak for the Board, but you do interact with the membership as much as anyone I would imagine, so I'd like to pose a couple of questions to get your feelings on.

First, since the increase to a membership of 4500 took place have there been complaints from existing members about overcrowding?

Second, do you feel that there will be an appetite to increase membership again this year?

As you know, I'm not the kind of guy to put you on the spot. I'm just trying to gauge the "vibes" on the ground, as it were.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Hi Jim. I know you don't speak for the Board, but you do interact with the membership as much as anyone I would imagine, so I'd like to pose a couple of questions to get your feelings on.

First, since the increase to a membership of 4500 took place have there been complaints from existing members about overcrowding?

Second, do you feel that there will be an appetite to increase membership again this year?

As you know, I'm not the kind of guy to put you on the spot. I'm just trying to gauge the "vibes" on the ground, as it were.
I am not aware of any feedback regarding wait times to shoot, but I expect that will be put to the test as we get more weekend "sight-in" traffic now that hunting seasons are getting closer. All the sign-in logs are kept, and I expect will be reviewed by Exec when reviewing the "cap" for 2015. To date, I have not heard anybody advocating an increase in numbers beyond 4500. I think it is fair for me to say that processing the large number of applications this past year, placed considerable strain on both our volunteer and paid staff. Hopefully, the earlier start date for renewals will insure more timely processing prior to Jan 01. Also the fact that the club is not accepting new member applications prior to Jan 01 (last year we opened that process Dec 01), should spread the work out over a longer period.
An interesting aside ... Yesterday, a Fri, I spent 6.5 hrs on-site with a block layer, building some new concrete shooting benches .... and by the time I left for my nap at about 1530, there were no more than six members that used the facility. A shout out to Rebel Masonary, for a job well done!
Today, Sat,I was on-site four hours (it takes old fat guys a long time to mix and pour concrete). .... leaving at 1300, and none of the Ranges were even at 1/2 capacity. Nice weekend weather ... most of the shooters seem to be fishing

Last edited by 260 Rem; 08-16-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:09 PM

Jim,

You retired guys have the luxury of not having to be overly concerned with what day it is. According to my sources, today is Saturday and tomorrow is Sunday. One more year of business and I will be on the same unscheduled schedule that you enjoy. Believe me, I look forward to joining the It Doesn't Matter What Day It Is Other Than I Know It's Today club; anniversaries, birthdays, and doctor appointments not withstanding. LOL

Bobby

Old 08-16-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
Jim,

You retired guys have the luxury of not having to be overly concerned with what day it is. According to my sources, today is Saturday and tomorrow is Sunday. One more year of business and I will be on the same unscheduled schedule that you enjoy. Believe me, I look forward to joining the It Doesn't Matter What Day It Is Other Than I Know It's Today club; anniversaries, birthdays, and doctor appointments not withstanding. LOL

Bobby
I was not quick enough with my edit, but it did take. You are right, I have no idea what day it is. But, being retired ain't all that great either ... no Stat holidays, no vacation time to look forward to...
Edit: also, no secretary to proof and correct.... I caught the date errors when I went to pour a bath.... Heck, I don't need a bath, it's not Sunday!

Last edited by 260 Rem; 08-16-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:29 PM

Thanks for all your hard work in making it the excellent facility it is, Jim.

There have been a few times this summer where I have also had ranges all to myself. It seems to be handling 4500 quite well, but as you say, the litmus test will be closer to hunting season.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:58 PM

Default Dumb question

So, I have had a range membership for 4-5 years now . If I want to take my gf out to the range to shot what do I need to do. Do I have to upgrade only to a family range membership? Or is there more that I need to do? Will this upgrade affect my seniority as far as early renewal? Seems like I'm asking some dumb questions here but the regulations say spouse or partner
Old 08-17-2014, 01:55 PM

There are no such thing as dumb questions ... First, SPFGA does not track seniority, so long term members do not have any advantage in terms of renewal. Once you are a member, you are offered the opportunity to renew in the following year, and as long as you meet the deadlines, you are good to go. Perhaps the following will help you decide your best course of action
Family class memberships are intended for the primary member, the spouse or partner living at the same address, and their under 18 yrs of age children who are also resident at the same address. I am not sure of the correct terminology of today, but in the good old days, we would have defined "partner" as one being in a "common law" relationship. So, if you are living with a girlfriend in a common law relationship (same address), you could upgrade to a Family Range membership. If you are in a position to upgrade and want it done soon, you should call the membership chair (pm me if you need the number) If you are living separately, then you should get her to apply on Jan 01.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:17 PM

OK Bobby, I may have to start shooting shotgun so I'll know when it's "five stand" day. Today is Sunday, and when I left at 1250 hrs there had been 34 sign-ins. There were about a dozen at the Shotgun Range shooting five stand, and a total of 8 vehicles spread between the Big Bore, Rim fire, Overflow, and Handgun Ranges. Less than 50 percent capacity use for rifles and handguns. Five stand at shotgun was running two relays.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:00 PM

Post cards??

Hey Jim.
Would u know what the status is regarding the new card system? haven't heard or received anything yet and it's been awhile...
Thanks.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjig View Post
Hey Jim.
Would u know what the status is regarding the new card system? haven't heard or received anything yet and it's been awhile...
Thanks.
Unfortunately, we are still a ways from getting the system up and operating due to a series of delays beyond our control related to the electronic system. After waiting for "components", the magnetic lock was made operational only about a week ago .... So, for phase two of the changeover, members just key in the gate combination to gain access/exit. Note: you still need to sign in.
As soon as Gunnebo (the contractor), gets our computer updates and program loaded, the Membership Chair will start the processing. It is possible, the earliest cards will be in the mail by months end. I understand this will occur before the processing of renewal memberships.
As I understand the system ( very little), each primary member will get a single proximity card with a "stick on" bar code which can be read by the keypad. Subsequently, each year the member renews, a new color coded stick on will be mailed. The administrator is able to access the gate remotely though an IP address ... Thus, access can be controlled from a remote location. Access can also be made to the camera system and viewed by the Administrator online.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:05 PM

Hey 260,

Just throwing out a suggestion not sure how the executive would feel about it, but with the delays why not include the card processing with the renewals? Then have the system go live on January 1st? Might cut down the processing time for volunteers.

Also would like to say thanks for all the work you and the executive put in. Range is always in great shape and everyone is usually following the rules and being considerate of the other shooters shooting.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 PM

Coordinating the card distribution with renewals has been considered ... but Membership folks want to get the cards out as: 1). they have been paid for and 2). there is some merit in testing the system for bugs this fall. I also think the club will be "paying" for a greater share of the processing for 2015. Consideration must be exercised to insure volunteers do not get burned out...
Thanks, I think most members share your appreciation for the work Exec does. The "maintenance guy" gets paid hansomely, but has it pretty good because most members are great at cleaning up after themselves.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
OK Bobby, I may have to start shooting shotgun so I'll know when it's "five stand" day. Today is Sunday, and when I left at 1250 hrs there had been 34 sign-ins. There were about a dozen at the Shotgun Range shooting five stand, and a total of 8 vehicles spread between the Big Bore, Rim fire, Overflow, and Handgun Ranges. Less than 50 percent capacity use for rifles and handguns. Five stand at shotgun was running two relays.
Jim,

Tony was running the trap shoot and everything was well organized. The only flaw I could detect was a fair number of my clays simply would not break despite direct hits . In all seriousness, quite a few of the shooters that day were impressive shots including the young lady.

Bobby