Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Banned

Default lc smith at p&D???

I've always wanted an old elsie. I'm out of town working, but was wondering if anyone had looked at this 12g field grade at P&D?? I'm gonna give em a shout in the morning, but just thought I'd see if anyone had looked it over and/or any other thoughts or comments.

I was planning on getting the chokes opened up to IC and light modified? modified? maybe and using it for clays or maybe pheasant if I ever get down south for hunting season.

It's choked full/full right now with 30" barrels and condition is listed as good. $650.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Banned

Who opens up chokes in Edmonton??
Old 08-16-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Who opens up chokes in Edmonton??
did you get it?.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Banned

I did. Locks up tight, bores are bright and shiny and comes up to the shoulder nicely. Featherweight 12g field grade from 1946. There's a very slight dent in the end of one of the barrels...took a chance and I'll see what it patterns like, maybe take it in to Dave Henry and see if it's worth opening the chokes up or if it's a lost cause. Stock is perfect though, no cracks and very little dings or scratches...I'm assuming it's been refinished. Bluing is well worn.

Maybe Dave's not gunsmithing anymore...can't find his website...hmmmm

Last edited by rugatika; 08-16-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I did. Locks up tight, bores are bright and shiny and comes up to the shoulder nicely. Featherweight 12g field grade from 1946. There's a very slight dent in the end of one of the barrels...took a chance and I'll see what it patterns like, maybe take it in to Dave Henry and see if it's worth opening the chokes up or if it's a lost cause. Stock is perfect though, no cracks and very little dings or scratches...I'm assuming it's been refinished. Bluing is well worn.

Maybe Dave's not gunsmithing anymore...can't find his website...hmmmm
Right on!!!....I got a SxS L.C smith field grade 16 gauge,built in 1903,that I inherited.....it's been refinished/restored & everything is original,except the new leather recoil pad....Ralph Martini (Cranbrook BC) did the work....not sure if he will do stuff like that anymore though?
Old 08-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Banned

just one snag...when I pull the triggers nothing happens..haha. cocking rods are both in the up position but no click. Not sure if someone had it apart or if I did something to it.... Almost as if the triggers aren't connected to anything other than their own springs. Might pop off the sideplates and see if there's anything obvious. I've heard they're pretty simple in design...maybe simple enough for me even.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
just one snag...when I pull the triggers nothing happens..haha. cocking rods are both in the up position but no click. Not sure if someone had it apart or if I did something to it.... Almost as if the triggers aren't connected to anything other than their own springs. Might pop off the sideplates and see if there's anything obvious. I've heard they're pretty simple in design...maybe simple enough for me even.
you got me

my best opinion is to consult Catnthehat....
Old 08-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
you got me

my best opinion is to consult Catnthehat....
yeah, doesn't he know there's sxs problems on AO tonight?
Old 08-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Banned

Cocking rods are in up position, but once I took the sidpelates off the hammers are in the de-cocked position. hmmmm. Gonna try and manually cock the hammers on the sideplates and re-install and see if that works...maybe.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Banned

Solved that problem. I must have taken the gun apart without first cocking the hammers somehow. Working good now. Can't wait to get her out for some shooting now.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:19 PM

DANG! I go cut the lawn and something happens!
Pretty common thing actually, I like to leave the older guns de-cocked BTW.....
Cat
Old 08-16-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Solved that problem. I must have taken the gun apart without first cocking the hammers somehow. Working good now. Can't wait to get her out for some shooting now.
Good job!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Good job!
haha...I spoke too soon. Solved the symptom, but not the main problem. The cocking rods are under tension, so they must be making contact with the hammer, but they don't seem to be lifting it high enough to click into the sear. If I take the sideplates off and manually cock the hammer it works once, but opening the action isn't cocking the hammers.

Opening the action with the sideplates off I can see the cocking rods are turning. THey must not be lifting the hammer high enough is all I can think of, for whatever reason.

Is Dave Henry still open in Bentley? I had heard something about him closing shop, but haven't been through there in years.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:10 AM

David Henry is still there and working full time. He never has had a web site, just a phone. Give him a call, he is still doing his same excellent work.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:12 AM

Not sure if these videos will give you any help or not but they sure are a great watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeZi...st=WL&index=16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb5H...st=WL&index=13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMI...dex=14&list=WL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioxv...dex=15&list=WL
Old 08-17-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
haha...I spoke too soon. Solved the symptom, but not the main problem. The cocking rods are under tension, so they must be making contact with the hammer, but they don't seem to be lifting it high enough to click into the sear. If I take the sideplates off and manually cock the hammer it works once, but opening the action isn't cocking the hammers.

Opening the action with the sideplates off I can see the cocking rods are turning. THey must not be lifting the hammer high enough is all I can think of, for whatever reason.

Is Dave Henry still open in Bentley? I had heard something about him closing shop, but haven't been through there in years.
Put your side plates back on, and manually cock the rods using a piece of wood, and try it using some snap caps, then open the gun and try again.
Pretty tough without pics to see what's going on.
Cat
Old 08-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Put your side plates back on, and manually cock the rods using a piece of wood, and try it using some snap caps, then open the gun and try again.
Pretty tough without pics to see what's going on.
Cat
OK, I'll give that a try tonight and see if it works and maybe try and get some pics up.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2014, 07:31 PM

Default 47 elsie

You may have the same problem my 47 LC had . I was lucky cause I saw the part fall to the floor when I opened the action up . At the rear of the forend is a metal plate (about 10mm by 12 mm) that acts as a wedge to recock the gun. It is held by a single screw from above. On mine this screw sheared and allowed the little wedge piece to fall out when opening the action. Gun wont recock without. If missing from the getgo it probably aint gonna look like anythings missing. Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
You may have the same problem my 47 LC had . I was lucky cause I saw the part fall to the floor when I opened the action up . At the rear of the forend is a metal plate (about 10mm by 12 mm) that acts as a wedge to recock the gun. It is held by a single screw from above. On mine this screw sheared and allowed the little wedge piece to fall out when opening the action. Gun wont recock without. If missing from the getgo it probably aint gonna look like anythings missing. Hope this helps.
Yup. Just got home and checked the forearm. No cocking plate. Got one on order from Numrich.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:39 PM

Missing parts are ALWAYS a wild card when it comes to the old guns!!
Glad the problem was discovered !
Cat