Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-15-2014, 12:22 PM

Default Stoeger Coach 12 GA

Any opinions or info on the Stoeger 12 GA coach Gun???
Old 08-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Banned

Yes, watch where the wood meets metal for cracks.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:06 PM

I have one. I count it as the worst gun in my collection, and thats saying something lol. The gun is just not put together very well imo.
As gitrdun says, watch for where wood meets metal, mine broke there, and I know of another guy who's broke there as well.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:24 PM

if the wood doesn't contact the metal evenly it can cause the stock to crack but that can be easily prevented by a little bedding.
They are not a high end gun by any means.
If you lighten the barrel release and polish the chambers so that the shells fall out with a litte shake they are a pretty handy and reliable little gun.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Banned

FreeLantz, first of all let me thank you for you support on that. This in NOT uncommon in shotguns. The recoil energy from the metal receiver in a wooden stock is measured in PSI (pounds per square inch). The wood stock inletting to the metal receiver is usually done with a CNC router. As a result, the metal to wood contact is less than desirable. Thus if the wood only contacts half of the metal receiver, than the resulting energy transferred to the the wood is double. And we all know that the pistol grip wood surface is pretty thin or scarce. My fix is to undercut the wood at the pistol grip and then bed it to match the metal receiver parts. As such, then the recoil energy is transferred to a larger area. I am currently working on an old Browning A5 Belgium made for such issues. The gun came to me with many cracks in that section. I have repaired it, but I am bedding the metal to wood contact to fully transfer the recoil energy across a wider area. I will post before and after pics as soon as they are available. I believe that many shotguns, even new ones can be initially modified to avoid this problem.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:03 PM

Stoegers are like beetles (the car). You love or hate the looks but they just work work work. But you do have to fuss with them to get them there.

Colin
Old 08-15-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
FreeLantz, first of all let me thank you for you support on that. This in NOT uncommon in shotguns. The recoil energy from the metal receiver in a wooden stock is measured in PSI (pounds per square inch). The wood stock inletting to the metal receiver is usually done with a CNC router. As a result, the metal to wood contact is less than desirable. Thus if the wood only contacts half of the metal receiver, than the resulting energy transferred to the the wood is double. And we all know that the pistol grip wood surface is pretty thin or scarce. My fix is to undercut the wood at the pistol grip and then bed it to match the metal receiver parts. As such, then the recoil energy is transferred to a larger area. I am currently working on an old Browning A5 Belgium made for such issues. The gun came to me with many cracks in that section. I have repaired it, but I am bedding the metal to wood contact to fully transfer the recoil energy across a wider area. I will post before and after pics as soon as they are available. I believe that many shotguns, even new ones can be initially modified to avoid this problem.
Yes pictures please, I have lots to learn about bedding procedures. I wish I would have taken the time to pull my stoeger apart and inspect thr mating surfaces the day I bought it. Instead I put a flat of target load through it, even though I suspected poor workmanship. Hindsight is 20/20. One day I'll be smrt.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:51 PM

I had this exact gun and I put about 50 rounds of buckshot through it and my stock began to crack, I would strongly suggest making sure it is a good tight fit
Old 08-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the feedback, not much of a smith myself but will have a buddy look at it for me
Old 08-17-2014, 02:50 AM

Question

I've had one for years. Wood fit on mine is good. Have only put a couple of hundred rounds through it. Works fine, was cheap and seems superior to the Norinco coach guns I've had experience with.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:46 AM

I have the Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme (or deluxe, I can't remember) with removeable chokes and up graded wood. It works great (by $500 gun standards) once you work them in. About 1000 rounds through it and going strong. Fun for prairie chickens.