Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-14-2014, 10:40 PM

Default barreled action online??

Hey all, I'm trying to hunt down a site online that sells barreled actions. Of course everything I have found is south of the border. I am fairly sure there should be enough experience here to help me out so thanks in advance for any input!
Old 08-14-2014, 11:16 PM

What manufacturer? New or used? I believe I have seen mausers on marstar.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:48 PM

I would prefer new. A mauser m98 or howa 1500 is what I'm after in .308
Old 08-15-2014, 04:51 AM

Try Mystic Precision. He is a big Savage fan but can order anything you are looking for.

For a new Mauser barreled action your cheapest option is to buy a new Zastava from Globe. $600 and you can toss the stock. Same is true of the Howa. They are so cheap as a whole gun $450, Weatherby Vanguard is made by Howa, that buying just the barreled action has little advantage.

Last edited by Dean2; 08-15-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 AM

Thats good to know that there is no $$ to be saved. I knew the vangaurds are built by howa. All the research I did was everyone talking about getting a barreled action or just a bare action but that is easier said then done. Might just keep my eyes open for a weatherby coming for sale or if I'm lucky something with a mauser action

Thanks for the help, I'm trying to plan out my first "bench up" long range build and any advice is more then welcome!!!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:19 AM

If you are working on a specific long range bench up build I would not be starting with a Mauser or Howa action. Depending on your budget I would seriously look at a Savage action, Shilen pre-cambered barrel in caliber of choice and a good stiff laminated or McMillan synthetic stock.

If you have more to spend, a trued Remington or some of the custom actions like Border or Stiller are worth a look too. In all choices you are going to want a quality after market barrel. Ron Smith makes good ones if you want to stay Canadian.

With the Savage, or Rem type actions there are far more stock and accessory options available to you. These are very limited for Mauser and Howa actions.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:41 AM

nothing wrong with a Howa or a Vanguard for a build. They are a better action than a 700 in more ways than one. I'd get the Howa and miss out on the ugly Vanguard bolt shroud....yuk.

You can get barreled actions from these guys.

http://www.legacysports.com/international

Canadian Distributor

http://www.northernsporting.com/HOME.html
Old 08-15-2014, 07:58 AM

well my budget isn't to much of an issue (you might get a different story outta my wife) I'm not a huge fan of savages, so I have been tossing it back and forth between howa and remington and either one is gonna do everything I want. I like the vangaurds and price is not a whole lot different so I have it narrowed to the howa. Of course I would take the mauser for obvious reasons if the price tag is right.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
nothing wrong with a Howa or a Vanguard for a build. They are a better action than a 700 in more ways than one. I'd get the Howa and miss out on the ugly Vanguard bolt shroud....yuk.

You can get barreled actions from these guys.

http://www.legacysports.com/international

Canadian Distributor

http://www.northernsporting.com/HOME.html
I agree that the Vanguard/Howa is a great action, just like a Mauser 98 is. So were the Japanese Arisakas. The Arisakas, the Shultz and Larsons, along with the Weatherby Mark Vs, are among the strongest actions ever built. My only issue with all of these for using in builds is the lack of variety and availability of accessory parts.