Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-10-2020, 06:53 AM

Default Long Island Bahamas

going to seek out the bonefish on long island Bahamas feb.20 for 16 days..
just wondering if anyone here can give me direction to a few spots so I can hit the ground running for the old DIYer…. I will have a car the whole time so getting to places is no problem.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:45 AM

Thumbs up Long Island

Its a big island around 90 miles long all the flats are on the west side and I have found Bones all along it.... that said the bigger key is to understand the tides and the access points to the deeper water which the fish use to access the flats. There was a big hurricane in 2012 which changed a lot of the flats so it is a far different place than when I fished it in 2009-10 I too had a vehicle and drove the island from Columbus Bay in the north all the way to Gordons beach in the south, I was staying at Cape Santa Maria in the north and had access to some nice flats close by for daily trips in-spite of the fact that I was there with the better half which if you are taking your significant other you can do no wrong by staying at the Cape in fact you will likely earn brownie points to use on the trip. If you are on a DIY boys only trip you would be better to stay further south around Deadmans Caye area for better access to more flats and less driving. If you are totally DIY I might suggest taking a SUP with you as this will really open up your options fishing wise. What I found is there were a lot more fish in this area and more flats but the fish seemed to be a lot bigger to the north. If its your first time fishing Bones it won't matter so stick to the south central part of the island. Hope this helps
Old 02-18-2020, 06:54 AM

I will be staying at Tiny's Hurricane hole half the time(in the middle of the island on the beach) and a another beach house in Santa Maria the other half of my stay in the north. I am a DIYer and have also stayed on Cat Island and fished for bones there as well. Thankyou for the info, this will help as to where to start out..with the better half
Old 02-18-2020, 08:29 PM

Thumbs up A little more info

If you can find a Explorers Far Bahamas chartbook it shows all the roads on the Island along with water depths. Of course you could always print some maps off of google earth. I did not fish the area around Salt Pond but I'm sure with the right tides you will find fish. Up at Cape Santa Maria there are some nice flats at the end of the private air strip that you will see on google earth. I met the owner and he was cool with me parking my car at the end of the airstrip to the side ie not blocking...... Real nice guy who had way too many nice toys in his hanger for one lifetime. Another good spot is the bay at the very north tip which you need to hit as the tides are dropping or rising big bones live here park when you see the bay on the way to the Columbus monument this will save you a lot of walking and get you to the good stuff quicker. Take a look at google map and all of the above will make more sense.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:51 AM

I did look at the map and the monument is very close as to where i'm staying the second half of my trip.This is excellent information !
Thank you very much.I will post a few pics when I get back..