Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2023, 07:00 PM

Default LRT Valley Line

Isn't even open yet and there has been 6, count them SIX collisions with vehicles.

How does someone NOT see an LRT coming?

Partially because they failed to see the MANY sign's that say "no right turn on red light", there are even more signs that light up when the train is close.

If they don't see those sign's what other sign's are they missing?

What are these drivers looking at when they're driving? It certainly isn't at the many, MANY sign's telling them NOT to turn on a red, but they do it anyways. I partially blame the city for not adding crossing arms that physically block the intersection. How did the city NOT see this coming? Anyone that uses our roads certainly could of.

One night last month I was going down 75 St by the Grey Nuns and between there and the Whytemud we saw one car driving ON the tracks jumping off in front of the fire station and another person tried turning onto the mud from 75'th and high centered himself on the tracks as he missed his turn, by about 20'

With this city's MORONIC "Vision Zero" what is happening to all these drivers? Are they loosing their licence until they can prove they have since learned how to drive? Are they being sent back to driver training? My guess is they maybe get a small fine and just drive away. I would be VERY surprised if any of them lost their licence. We keep saying driving is a privilige and not a right, but is it? What right do the rest of us have other than to just continue to share the road with these horrible drivers?

The person that hits an LRT is the same inattentive driver that will likely run someone over in a marked crosswalk. If the city was serious about cleaning up our streets pulling these peoples licences would be a REAL good place to start.

We are heavy handed with drunk drivers (and rightfully so, just to be clear) but running into trains isn't a big deal? Sure doesn't seem to be.

The city's position appears to be "people will learn" But will they though? Of coarse they wont, drivers are getting worse than ever.

Am I "off track" here or am I missing something?

Obviously everything I'm thinking like them getting only a small fine or not losing their licence is just pure speculation on my part, dont hold what I'm thinking as fact, because it's not.

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/colu...problem-to-fix

Rant over, what say all the other armchair experts?
Old 06-08-2023, 07:08 PM

You can buy a drivers license in Edmonton.

Literally, buy one.

No test. Just cash and your ID and signature and picture. And I dont mean just a Class 5....Class 1....lots of them

My one son wanted a motorcycle. I told him how about we just go out in the bush and I shoot you...a lot less suffering, especially driving one in this city.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:02 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Literally, buy one.

No test. Just cash and your ID and signature and picture. And I dont mean just a Class 5....Class 1....lots of them

My one son wanted a motorcycle. I told him how about we just go out in the bush and I shoot you...a lot less suffering, especially driving one in this city.
X2
Old 06-08-2023, 08:46 PM

Vision Zero is the equivalent of someone announcing that they won’t rest until they find the Easter Bunny.

And I should add that they’re funding the expedition with my tax dollars.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:36 PM

Also of note: how pathetic of a job TransEd has done building the project--which was originally supposed to open December 2020. The number of concrete issues they've had this project alone makes your eyes water.

Big surprise EllisDon is the main contractor partner within the consortium. Worst GC I've ever dealt with.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:23 AM

You do know that the city doesn't have the power to "pull peoples licenses" right?
Old 06-09-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Literally, buy one.

Same place you'd buy a Power Engineering Certificate?
Old 06-09-2023, 09:23 AM

Edmonton has a unique mix of different people that face many different challenges in their lives. Driving an automobile and planning a city is I think, an enigma that will remain a constant.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydude View Post
Old 06-09-2023, 10:20 AM

When i was a mechanic for transed the **** i seen blew my mind.
Old 06-09-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydude View Post
Probably same people....lol
Old 06-09-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Probably same people....lol
Then the catch is they have to buy the pinky ring on eBay .
Old 06-09-2023, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Literally, buy one.

Was that not a real thing about a decade ago? I remember something like that hitting the news.

As someone that rides a motorbike every day all summer, your not wrong.

Almost daily I have to take evasive action to avoid getting pasted into a light post or bus bench. People will make eye contact with me, and STILL turn right in front of me. I've made peace with the fact if I go before my time is up it WILL be on that bike, probably left turned to death, literally. A biker's biggest enemy is left turning vehicles that will turn out RIGHT in front of you like your not even there.

They are looking for cars and trucks and don't even see bikers. I've had too many close calls than I can count, almost a daily occurrence. If you don't have you're head on a swivel on a bike you WILL be a statistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
Vision Zero is the equivalent of someone announcing that they won’t rest until they find the Easter Bunny.

And I should add that they’re funding the expedition with my tax dollars.
Preach! Absolutely MORONIC that Vision Zero. I know someone that works deep in the city that said as part of said MORONIC Vision Zero all these red lights were sitting at is by design to "slow traffic down" they used to be synchronized so you would catch mostly green lights, part of that VZ absurdity is they RE-synchronized them so you hit mostly red's. If you haven't noticed it pay closer attention, Its true. Along 75 St in Kill-Woods there are lights every 500' or so, the next one down the line will turn red just before yours turns green, it's ridiculous. With all those cars idling at intersections I guess our self declared "climate emergency" is over? Seems anti climate to intentionally keep all those evil cars idling. I swear this ultra woke city council wont be happy until were pushing our cars around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Also of note: how pathetic of a job TransEd has done building the project--which was originally supposed to open December 2020. The number of concrete issues they've had this project alone makes your eyes water.

Big surprise EllisDon is the main contractor partner within the consortium. Worst GC I've ever dealt with.
2 years behind sceddy, and still counting. No idea how much its over budget but my blood pressure is better off not knowing. Started out as what, a 1.2 Billion dollar project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
You do know that the city doesn't have the power to "pull peoples licenses" right?
And you do know that the EPS is a city entity that is funded by and reports to city council? Fire Rescue and Ambulances are also city funded functions too, just to be clear. Did you really think I ment that the Mayor or any city councillor could write tickets and hand out suspensions? I think you took that comment WAAAY too literally. Simple misunderstanding I suppose..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Then the catch is they have to buy the pinky ring on eBay .
The famous pinky ring If I was an Engineer I would NEVER wear that ring.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I talked to a friend that works in homicide, he said he did a real quick check into this and has confirmed that one person received a "making an illegal right turn" ticket and another received a fail you yield right of way" ticket so it seems there is no continuity in how they deal with offenders.

Personally I would call that dangerous driving and pull their licence on the spot before they kill someone. If you cant see a gigantic LRT what are the chances they will see a pedestrian crossing the street? These people are very dangerous drivers and shouldn't be allowed to continue driving until they prove they can.

Thats not just for LRT smashers, that goes for a LOT of the motoring public. We all see it every day, the horrendous driving displayed by some, they lack the most basic, fundamental driving skills and shouldn't be on the road, full stop. But even if they do hit a train, or a person in a marked crosswalk, chances are they will just get a ticket and drive away to risk everyones life again and again. That's why this Vision Zero is such a racket, they dont remove unskilled and or dangerous drivers from our roads, the city's idea is just keep adding more lights and keep lowering speed limits

Did anyone see how they "fixed" the crumbling concrete piers?

I have some pics but cant seem to post them. They used small collars around them. Not sure if that's a temp fix or if that's it?

That stupid LRT should of been built ABOVE ground like Vancouver's Sky Train.. Saw an article that said what Edmonton payed for this line isn't much less that what Sky Trains completely above ground line. Sounds like our past council got hosed, big surprise with that Bafoon Iveson driving the bus.

I thought it was just bridges that the city couldn't build, guess not.

Just to be ULTRA clear to some here, yes, I DO realize the city doesn't build bridges, they farm it out to the PCL's & Clark Builders, but they ARE the GC and give out the orders so it makes it their "baby"

Just waiting for the first fatality from someone hitting the train and paying the ultimate price, because city council was either too stupid or too cheap to think they needed crossing arms. They are just hoping that people "will learn". Too bad they couldn't learn!

And as bad as this ultra woke council is, they will almost certainly get voted right back in again next election. Why? Cause never underestimate the stupidity of the average voter. They will just forget about this, and the 100 million spent on more bike lanes that will appease dozens of people

Rant over..
Old 06-09-2023, 03:59 PM

Some things to note:

The contract for this project (P3) means that the total price tag of $1.8b is for TransEd to design, build, operate and maintain the Valley Line South for 30 years, unlike other lines which are typically just design/build contracts.

The good news is that the $1.8b is a firm price and all cost overruns are ate by the contractor, TransEd. The City of Edmonton paid half of the project cost upfront, and the rest is paid in monthly sums over the 30 years of operation (I believe it’s like $3m/month). The better news is that for every month that the line is not open to the public after December 2020, a payment to TransEd is forfeited—so given that it’s been about 30 months delayed, there’s been $90m in saved payments—albeit I imagine with COVID a force majeur clause came into play and the City and TransEd likely came to some sort of forgiveness agreement for a certain amount of forfeited payments.

IMO, my biggest worry about the project is TransEd’s solvency. COVID cost inflation mixed with incredible amounts of money spent correcting construction issues (I bet they’ve spent close to $50m just correcting concrete screw ups) plus closing in on three years of no revenue means they have been bleeding money badly on this project with no clear end in sight. Not to even mention borrowing costs skyrocketing with increased interest rates.