Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-22-2011, 12:33 PM

Default Ethanol Fuel - Fuel Stabilizer

Well, since our fuel is going to start containing 10% ethanol in it we all need to look at adding fuel stabilizers to protect our boat motors. I am trying to find somewhere that sells the new Marine Formula Sta-Bil fuel stabilizers. It looks like it should have the best protection for outboards. Anyone know where to get this? Or does anyone know of any other products for Marine use with ethanol fuels?

For those of you who are unaware, regulations will soon dictate that 10% of our gasoline has to contain ethanol and diesel will have to contain 5% bio-diesel. Ethanol fuels will break down faster without any added stabilizers and this means it can plug up carbuertor and fuel system parts quicker. Although not everywhere has ethanol blended gasoline or bio-diesel yet, some do and more will as this year progresses.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIrv View Post
Well, since our fuel is going to start containing 10% ethanol in it we all need to look at adding fuel stabilizers to protect our boat motors. I am trying to find somewhere that sells the new Marine Formula Sta-Bil fuel stabilizers. It looks like it should have the best protection for outboards. Anyone know where to get this? Or does anyone know of any other products for Marine use with ethanol fuels?

For those of you who are unaware, regulations will soon dictate that 10% of our gasoline has to contain ethanol and diesel will have to contain 5% bio-diesel. Ethanol fuels will break down faster without any added stabilizers and this means it can plug up carbuertor and fuel system parts quicker. Although not everywhere has ethanol blended gasoline or bio-diesel yet, some do and more will as this year progresses.
Call Reed Point Marina and ask for the number of the Chandlers there, they have everything.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:46 PM

Thats bad news for boat engines.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:06 PM

Is this for just Regular grade gas or Premium as well?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:15 PM

Anyways I use Starbrite Star-tron enzyme fuel treatment every time i fill the boat up plus I always use Premium gas. its in a blue bottle you can get it at Can Tire for 13 bucks

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 04-22-2011, 02:53 PM

Canadian tire carries the Marine Formula Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer as well.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A187 View Post
Is this for just Regular grade gas or Premium as well?
It is for all grades, although I have heard rumors of premium having less than 10% as the gas companies have to have an average. Not sure if this is true, it would be to hard to measure. Regulation states all grades of on-highway gasoline and diesel.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
Canadian tire carries the Marine Formula Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer as well.
Yeah, it's not on their website. I'll have to go check my local store I gues..
Thanks