Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2011, 12:32 PM

Default Advice for area between nordegg and RMH!!! Im a rookie!!!

Hey folks! Im a regular in the hunting forum but am getting more into trout fishing this year. Last year nyself and a couple buddies started an annual "man trip" out to this area. Basically we do the survivorman man thing. Sleep in handmade shelters, and only bring into the bush what we can carry. None of us flyfish yet so we brought in spinning gear on our backpacks. We were about 15 km west of the "outwest camping" campground on 752. We hiked into the bush on the south side of 752. Theres tons of small creeks, but we were less than successful catching anything? My question is, do these 1 foot deep creeks actually hold fish??? And if not, can someone offer advice on a good spot to hike in that will offer us seclusion from other people, and possibly some good fishing for some new trout hunters? We are from edmonton, and we hunt out in wmu 232 so the terrain out by rocky is still new to us.....but man are we hooked!!!! We are heading out late june!!! Thanks guys!!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:01 PM

Depends on the particular creek, if its 1 foot deep in some places, deeper in others with some really deep holes scattered about, then absolutely they hold fish! However if your taking about the small 3-6 foot wide creeks that rarely get much deeper than 1.5 feet than no, they dont USUALLY hold fish. Basically just look for creek with some nice deep holes and cast into those.

OR, you could do your trip next to one of the large rivers like the Ram or North Saskatchewan. They both hold lotsa fish! Love the sound of the trip you do, planning on doing that with my buddy a few years down the road.

tight lines!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:10 PM

So by deep do mean like 3 feet?? Haha like i said im new to trout fishing. Yeah we are planning on heading further down 752 to where it turns into the trunk road. Ive heard the trunk road crosses the ram at some point south of nordegg so if thats the case, and there arent people littered everywhere then i think we will hike in south. Also, are tiny
Spinner baits the bait of choice when not fly fishing?
Old 04-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Banned

The ones with the greatest pool to riffle ratio.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Gone Hunting

"ALBERTA'S TROUT HIGHWAY"
By Barry Mitchell
Is a great reference for trout streams out that way.

"The Alberta Fishing Guide" also by Mitchell is a must for anyone fishing anywhere in Alberta.

Give a call to the Fisheries staff in the SRD office in Rocky Mtn. Hse. to ask about specific small unnamed streams. (403-845-8230)

If they are tributaries of Prairie Creek they likely have small brookies in them.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 04-21-2011, 02:55 PM

Take a hike above Crescent Falls for a few hours for some good cuttie fishing. I've taken them on spinners but flies are best.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 PM

I have found 10 inch trout in streams that were nowhere named or known. less than a foot deep, except in some pools and sometimes only 20 inches wide. it gets even better if you go for a real mans hike and find out why the creek is so small..... a beaver dam loaded with trout. I think i'll name it beaver dam X.