Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Whats Is Your Favorite Brand of Reel (SPIN)
Quantumn/Pflugers 29 46.77%
Bass Pro/Shimano 18 29.03%
Abu Garcia/Okuma 10 16.13%
Zebco/Mitchel 2 3.23%
Other/Anything Goes 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 PM

Well, I've never been to Bass Pro () and I agree with chubb that there's too many possibilities, but if I had to choose one brand, I'd have to say I like my Shimanos

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-20-2011, 06:23 AM

didnt vote because bass pro and shimano lumped together, but my favorites:

shimano spinning reels

and

abu garcia bait casters.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Banned

At present moment Daiwa makes the best reels your money can buy, shimano is a close second(stella and sustain are starting to suck nowdays). Although to enjoy any of the good stuff you have to spend upwards of $200-$300, for the best prices get up to $600-$800, not for me thank you

My vote goes to SPRO RedArc 10400, most bang for the money i ever got, not to mention all metal construction $120cdn, and a spare machined spool(hello shimano), this thing is a workhorse. It looks a bit fancy, but what can you do

Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 AM

The best reels ever made used to be Ryobi ( Japan). There is a little history why you should be buying it only in Japan though...

Since its establishment as a die casting manufacturer in HIROSHIMA in December 1943, Ryobi Limited has accumulated innovative technologies by making components for automobiles, electronics, telecommunications and other industries. In 1944, Ryobi has leveraged these technologies and drawn on its experience to diversify into fishing tackle. Therefore RYOBI, DAIWA and SHIMANO are the top three fishing tackle brands in Japan.

In 2000, JOHSHUYA company, the largest Japanese chain group of fishing tackle, gained the ownership of RYOBI fishing tackle sector.

In November 2008, JOHSHUYA company and WEIHAI RYOBI INTERNATIONAL TRADING CO., LTD ( China ) reached agreement that WEIHAI RYOBI INT�� was authorized to manufacture, sell and operate RYOBI fishing tackle products worldwide (excluding Japan Market).

Last edited by AK47; 04-20-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
lol....lucky for bass pro

i hope my voting slip doesnt say Con/Ndp on voting day
LMAO! I had the same thought.

I wouldn't use a BassPro reel, but I do like my Shimanos.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
For me, my favorite reel company hands down is Pfluger. I have been running my Pfluger for about six years with solid with heavy use. The reel is a bit scratched up now and stuff though that thing still runs just as if I bought it yesterday.(touch wood). They even seem to be a "reasonable price" and have the wicked awesome looks of a top end reel IMO. The only thing now that would stop me from getting another Pfluger president, is if they quit making them. I have tried many reels that were more costly and from different companys that still didn't seem as smooth as the president. The only more costly reel that I found that was smoother, was a quantum.

It seems as if the bottom line quantums lack in quality compared to other brands of reels though the more top end one quantums seem to perform smoother than some of the other company's top endish reels.
Heres a pick of the Pfluger president reel.

pflueger_president_fishing_reels[1].jpg

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:52 PM

I don't mind the president...for the price it is tough to beat, but overall I don't think that you can beat the stradic. I fish hard for big trout, and many times I find them quite line shy, forcing me to use a lighter line and rely heavily on my reels drag. I have burned out to many drags on cheaper reels to justify buying them anymore. The stradic is about the lowest end shimano that I have yet to burn out, so that is my reel of choice going forward and for 150-200 bucks, I don't think there is a better real available.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:46 PM

Quantum anyday, everyday!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Shimano Stella 20000SW for Jigging
Shimano Stella 18000SW for Popping
Old 04-20-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Heres a pick of the Pfluger president reel.

Attachment 34782
i got the same one i hate the grip with a passion though
Old 04-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Gone Hunting

The Original Zebco 33. The newer ones are not as good.

I still own and still use the first 33 I ever owned. It's been upwards of 30 years and it has never failed me, and it has rode four different rods to death.

Bought a second one about ten years ago, it started to give me grief after about two seasons.

I have tried many different makes and models over the years, most didn't last a season. The Mitchel's were among the best but they too wore out, (guides wore through) or gears stripped ext after a few seasons.

But my 33 just goes on and on.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil_Can_Yakker View Post
Shimano Stella 20000SW for Jigging
Shimano Stella 18000SW for Popping
haha i hope this is a joke...
Old 04-20-2011, 07:11 PM

Love my Quantums , but just bought a pair of Okuma vsystem reels cheap. We'll see. Never been a fan of shimano spinning reels.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
The best reels ever made used to be Ryobi ( Japan). There is a little history why you should be buying it only in Japan though...

Since its establishment as a die casting manufacturer in HIROSHIMA in December 1943, Ryobi Limited has accumulated innovative technologies by making components for automobiles, electronics, telecommunications and other industries. In 1944, Ryobi has leveraged these technologies and drawn on its experience to diversify into fishing tackle. Therefore RYOBI, DAIWA and SHIMANO are the top three fishing tackle brands in Japan.

In 2000, JOHSHUYA company, the largest Japanese chain group of fishing tackle, gained the ownership of RYOBI fishing tackle sector.

In November 2008, JOHSHUYA company and WEIHAI RYOBI INTERNATIONAL TRADING CO., LTD ( China ) reached agreement that WEIHAI RYOBI INT�� was authorized to manufacture, sell and operate RYOBI fishing tackle products worldwide (excluding Japan Market).
Love them too .. got into 2 Huge Brook Trout in 11 days in 1984 the first was a 9 # to 11 # Male in spawning colors with the hooked jaw.. (ex)wife for 45 minutes then me for 15 i losted it after horsing it ..11 days later got into a female Brookie that is 12#13 oz and is a 8# line class WR to this day but a week later my reel gave up the ghost as the plastic part was history.. still have the Ryobi reel in parts.. lol .. loved that reel

Last edited by Speckle55; 04-20-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
i got the same one i hate the grip with a passion though
Yeah, the grip does seem small compared to other reels in its class though I got use to using that grip after a couple weeks, and then didn't find it much harder to use than the grips on other brands of reels.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, the grip does seem small compared to other reels in its class though I got use to using that grip after a couple weeks, and then didn't find it much harder to use than the grips on other brands of reels.
I saw that Pfluger started making an all metal body reel called the Arbor last year that looked pretty interesting. I played with one a little bit and it seemed like a nice reel but I couldnt see how it could possibly hold as much line as they were claiming it could though so I didnt buy it. If anyone has one I'd like to hear if they like it or not.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 PM

Old 04-22-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
At present moment Daiwa makes the best reels your money can buy, shimano is a close second(stella and sustain are starting to suck nowdays). Although to enjoy any of the good stuff you have to spend upwards of $200-$300, for the best prices get up to $600-$800, not for me thank you

My vote goes to SPRO RedArc 10400, most bang for the money i ever got, not to mention all metal construction $120cdn, and a spare machined spool(hello shimano), this thing is a workhorse. It looks a bit fancy, but what can you do

ive never seen one (spro) where do you get those?
Old 04-22-2011, 10:28 AM

Quantumn gets my vote
Very smooth reels