Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-27-2018, 09:08 AM
AO Sponsor

Default NAFA Preliminary Order of Sale, May 2018

http://www.nafa.ca/may-2018-preliminary-order-sale/

http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/upload...NAFA-PSO-E.jpg

Here I thought ole Davey Boy would have stuck this on here some time ago! No Davey... No Jimmy...

Of course for me, coyotes the main interest, and oh me! oh my, a forecast of only 70,000 coyotes???

Now that is an interesting one! If it is true, however, we have seen many times a low forecast of goods and are suddenly surprised by a late influx of goods and sometimes unexpected staggering numbers. I suspect we will see more, but will it be a massive amount? With the price influx, I was expecting to see a 120,000 coyote sale, now 70,000??? YIKES!!!!

You have to understand that much else goes on in the coyote world besides NAFA. No, FHA is not really a factor at all because they don't get any significant amount of western goods, but the country buyers, mostly American, put up quite the volume/collection of goods. They collect very aggressively, competition for goods is very high and price levels paid to trappers and hunters reflects on the heavy competition. Small buyers often use NAFA to move their collections but most buyers sell their goods private treaty.

Generally, the fur collectors are selling fur to the same people that fill the auction room at NAFA, end users, brokers, so goods bought by the end users in the country means less goods needed to be bought in the auction room. Generally, but not always. Some folks prefer to buy exclusively at NAFA and of these are people with deep pockets.

So the questions... is there gonna be a heavy late influx of coyotes into this sale? Did the country buyers load up on goods and satisfy much of the demand? How big was the actual harvest? Is there more demand for the goods this year than last? Etc

Numerous buyers say the harvest was small, some mean it and some don't tell the truth regularly! Some buyers say there were plenty of coyotes and bought considerable amounts. I spoke with one of the largest American buyers regularly through the winter and he claimed the USA harvest was low?

So at 70,000 she's still burning hot! However, my jaded opinion from watching many seasons roll by dictates that much more will show up. But possibly not, new compilation/communication of goods heading to market has been never better, it could be accurate.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:09 AM

Guys, need to realize the later than normal first sale in March lots of fur moved so less numbers available for this sale. It could be good for strong prices, however Russians mad at us now for kicking out their diplomats, may not show.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:33 PM
Banned

Thanks for posting.

There are more coyote pelts this season than last. With the later Last Receiving Date this year I didn't expect as many coyotes in the May auction as in previous years. Certainly not 120,000 like in previous years. We had an extra 3 weeks or so to trap coyotes for the first auction that normally would have gone into the second one. In the end, the total number of pelts in both auctions aren't too much different.......2017 - 132,000 and 2018 - 143,500. 120,000 pelts in this auction instead of 70,000 would not have been good at all.

I don't expect the demand for coyotes to cool off too much and we should all do well in this auction.....but who knows? Grades might be lower with late season coyotes and could result in a lower auction average though I guess. I haven't check to see what if that happened in previous May auctions.

Around here there was a bumper crop of pups running around......no AC virus I guess. Maybe that's why there are more pelts this year.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, need to realize the later than normal first sale in March lots of fur moved so less numbers available for this sale. It could be good for strong prices, however Russians mad at us now for kicking out their diplomats, may not show.
Russia hasn't shown up for a few years now.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:08 AM

Yes Dave this will be an interesting auction for sure . As for grades , I feel my May contribution is of better quality than those we shipped to the first sale and a couple other guys in my area feel the same about theirs . Would be fine with me if only 70,000 were offered at this one .
Old 03-29-2018, 08:43 PM

For this upcoming May sale, I had my coyotes into Halford's well before the last receiving date. However, when I log into my account, they aren't showing up in this season's receipts. Should I be concerned?
Old 03-29-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerpress View Post
For this upcoming May sale, I had my coyotes into Halford's well before the last receiving date. However, when I log into my account, they aren't showing up in this season's receipts. Should I be concerned?
Halfords ships them to NAFA all at once. wait at least a few weeks after last receiving date to start getting worried
Old 03-30-2018, 07:44 AM

No that's normal could take a month plus before they show up online, then it will probably show stuff received minus the number of items until close to the sale. Ex it might say just coyotes instead of coyotes 10. Fox 5 whatever.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Just to elaborate on what kingrat stated......

My account shows the RECEIPT / CONSIGNMENT NO. (on the left side of the page) for the triwalls that my fur was shipped in and the date that NAFA received them was January 20. On the right side of the page it still shows the fur receipts for type/quantity of fur in the last auction. Have another look. Your fur receipts will show on the right side closer to auction.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:27 AM
AO Sponsor

(pssssttt... 90,000 and counting... with anticipations of potentially hitting the 100,000 mark)

Lucky for us Russians do not largely buy Western Canadian Coyotes to affect us!
However, Trumps new tariff package for China can't possibly help our fur market. China does buy a bunch of Western skins.

Could be the beginning of the end! Want to read real news? Just have to wade thru the Russian slant!

rt.com
Old 04-06-2018, 09:18 AM

Had a nice chat with Betty at Halfords. She mentioned coyotes down about 1000 for both sales this year. The real I opener was marten down to around 200 total when should normally be about 2000.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:04 AM

Coyote numbers and Marten numbers are way down. I know I didn't have many coyotes on my wolf baits this year and usually they are all over a couple of them at least. I didn't see much for tracks this year either and from what I could tell marten numbers are down. Probably because every tree in this province seems to be getting cut down. The amount of logging I have noticed in some areas is nuts.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
My fur receipts are now showing up in my account with types of pelts but not the numbers of them yet. Like Kingrat stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Coyote numbers and Marten numbers are way down. I know I didn't have many coyotes on my wolf baits this year and usually they are all over a couple of them at least. I didn't see much for tracks this year either and from what I could tell marten numbers are down. Probably because every tree in this province seems to be getting cut down. The amount of logging I have noticed in some areas is nuts.
Could it be that the wolves have made it very coyote unfriendly and chased them out of there?

There's lots of calving going on right now around here and the coyotes are friggin everywhere. I was on the sled for a couple of hours yesterday and I saw a half dozen.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:46 AM

Default marten

Our marten numbers were up to normal this year after terrible down turn last year. I strongly believe the cats (lynx) are a major factor on marten and fisher.
Just read article in last AO by seasoned trapper, he found one cutline with a lynx family of around 7 walking down line hunting like a pack of wolves. Not many animals will survive.
Uke still does well on his Ft Mac line but he has no lynx.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
My fur receipts are now showing up in my account with types of pelts but not the numbers of them yet. Like Kingrat stated.

Could it be that the wolves have made it very coyote unfriendly and chased them out of there?

There's lots of calving going on right now around here and the coyotes are friggin everywhere. I was on the sled for a couple of hours yesterday and I saw a half dozen.
You won't be finding many wolf tracks on the most part of my line anymore Dave. But I can always tell if I have wolves hitting a bait or in the area because the yotes don't come near till the wolves are finished and gone.
I have huge Lynx numbers right now on my line. It could be part of why the marten are down but I don't think lynx hunt marten much or if they could even catch one. would be interesting to know. All my lynx I cut open this year had rabbit in their bellies.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:29 AM

Default marten

Nube, when you do not get many coyotes, know your numbers must be way down on your line. Yes cannot have marten if you have no trees. Mark Boyce biologist/trapper published a paper few years back, conclusion was must have at least 45% tree cover to maintain marten on a trapline.
Lastly agree primary food source for lynx is rabbit. However wolf and lynx also eat anything that moves in the bush, they hunt 365 days/nights a year.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:46 PM

Anybody have any insider word on when the "lotting" for the May sale is going to be posted? Thought it would have been released by now!
Old 05-02-2018, 06:12 PM

Late in the day on May 10
Old 05-03-2018, 05:33 AM

I got another NAFA account for this last sale , and not being a computer pro can anyone tell me if I need a seperate password to access it from my first one ?
Old 05-03-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I got another NAFA account for this last sale , and not being a computer pro can anyone tell me if I need a seperate password to access it from my first one ?
No you’ll be able to see the new account when you sign in to the old one. You just need to use the account drop downs.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Late in the day on May 10
Awesome thanks!! Its hard to be patient, I am always so curious to see what the grades on pelts will be!
Old 05-03-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcrazy View Post
No you’ll be able to see the new account when you sign in to the old one. You just need to use the account drop downs.
Thank you sir ..i had a guy that wanted to buy a coyote but told him it had to be tanned first ..so we.picked out 2 that were very similar and I sent one in this new account to know what to charge him for the other..gonna pick them up.next week from a fellow AO member that did a great job ..had another coyote done as well as.a couple foxes

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Thank you sir ..i had a guy that wanted to buy a coyote but told him it had to be tanned first ..so we.picked out 2 that were very similar and I sent one in this new account to know what to charge him for the other..gonna pick them up.next week from a fellow AO member that did a great job ..had another coyote done as well as.a couple foxes

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Those are some nice tanned hides. They did a nice job.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:49 AM
AO Sponsor

Anybody going batty yet waiting for their grades to show?

Probly going to take some more time. From what I understand, all the coyotes are being fitted with the new traceable tags!!!

Isn't that wonderful???

The good news tho... with these new fancy tags, pelts that have heads and eyeholes will be securely sealed at the depot! And then all those funny rumours fabricated by bored, jealous, lazy, stupid people that really, really, really suck at catching volume... will end!

Anyways, ya! I believe the new tags will be a plastic NAFA security type seal, with both number and bar code. I've seen them before, look just like a bobcat CITIES seal, like the ones on the American cats which make their cats far more saleable than ours. I'll see if I can't rummage up a photo of one.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:53 AM
AO Sponsor

X
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BAD83AFE-C5F5-4738-A306-875B400D8A9E.jpg (21.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 05-04-2018, 07:32 AM

So they're certified humane then Marty? And if so will they be any different than the American coyotes.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:03 AM
AO Sponsor

So far the only difference I can see between the USA coyotes and Canadian is the tag colour is different. Oh wait... the USA coyotes are flat compared to Canadian, even those USA coyotes that are in the heavy section. Heavy enough to be heavies but not heavy enough to look Canadian.

At this point the powers that be surely are simply trying to develop a tagging system and ensure this new system functions and is compatible with marketing your furs.

I don't think anybody is claiming traceability at this point. Nobody claimed it. Let's not put words in their mouths?

BTW... the photo is not from this current sale. Hopefully no more USA coyotes in the top lot!!!
Old 05-04-2018, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Probly going to take some more time. From what I understand, all the coyotes are being fitted with the new traceable tags!!!
There is a Canada Goose initiative to trace the origins of coyote pelts. It involves an audit of your bait sites, methods, snares, etc. Could this be what you are referring to?
Old 05-04-2018, 04:17 PM
AO Sponsor

Ya, there is something in the works.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Ya, there is something in the works.
Yup, I know a guy that was audited and inspected in January as part of the pilot project. It’s a Canada Goose initiative to ensure that the coyote pelts that they purchase are trapped ethically and humanely. No idea if, when or how they intend to do it though.