Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 12:47 PM

Default New Hunting Weapon Regulations 2018. Oh my....

It is now illegal to hunt ANY and ALL wildlife with shotgun ammunition smaller than #4 buckshot.

https://www.canlii.org/webdiff/diff....00-c-w-10.html

"Schedule
Items Prohibited for Hunting Purposes

Item 1

Items prohibited for hunting all wildlife

1 An arrow equipped with an explosive head.

2 A swivel set or spring gun.

3 A firearm that is capable of firing more than one bullet during one pressure of the trigger or a firearm that can be altered to operate as such. This subitem prevails in the event of any conflict with the exception in subitem 10.

4 A poisonous substance described in section 32(5) or an immobilizing drug.

4.1 Shotgun ammunition that is loaded with pellets smaller than .24 inch in diameter or smaller in size than what is commonly called number 4 buckshot.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Banned

So I can't use my ak-47 for deer hunting!! What will they think of next..
Old 03-16-2018, 01:47 PM

don't know if there would be much left of a pheasant after that
Old 03-16-2018, 01:54 PM

Default regs revision

Any pre-amble into the reasoning behind this?
Quite honestly, this new reg is absolutely absurd!! I am always giving guys crap for shooting bird game with heavy shot. At distances I would consider too close, (walking up over pointing dogs in particular) it can literally destroy the bird and render it useless for salvage as food.
At the same time, reading further, there is no mention of having to use steel for hunting of migratory birds.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:57 PM
Banned

this is really going to help my sky busting
Old 03-16-2018, 01:59 PM

Have to find some bigger shot before the snow geese get here. LOL

Pretty sure this was only supposed to apply to big game. Ooopps
Old 03-16-2018, 02:04 PM

Please do not tell my wife that the deal I got on BB's, 2's and 4's at the end of last season is now out the window.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:19 PM

Default cant believe it

Quote:
"wildlife" means big game, birds of prey, fur-bearing animals, migratory game birds, non-game animals, non-licence animals and upland game birds, and includes any hybrid offspring resulting from the crossing of 2 wildlife animals or that belong to the Crown as a result of the application of section 7(4);
Someone wasn't thinking! I can see this perhaps applying to big game only but use of the term all wildlife??

Last edited by wwbirds; 03-16-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:22 PM

Um... er... My Queen.

About that Royal ascent I just asked you to proclaim....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-16-2018, 02:38 PM

For reference....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5875935_orig.jpg (34.4 KB, 527 views)
Old 03-16-2018, 02:47 PM

is this in the bird regs ? surely I'm not expected to hunt upland with 4 buckshot??
Old 03-16-2018, 03:00 PM

It's gotta be for big game. In which case I would agree. Dust shot won't do anything but wound a game animal unless you're 3 foot away.

Otherwise it probably is some clueless Ottawa clerk not picking up on context of the directive, or some greeny trying to take advantage of it.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
It's gotta be for big game. In which case I would agree. Dust shot won't do anything but wound a game animal unless you're 3 foot away.

Otherwise it probably is some clueless Ottawa clerk not picking up on context of the directive, or some greeny trying to take advantage of it.
This is a made in Alberta faux pas.

I tried Minister Philips Leg. office and left a message, and I’ve got a message left for my local Fish Cop..

Next call will be to My MLA.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-16-2018, 03:29 PM

Absolutely ridiculous!!! Talk about spoiling meat! Can you even buy waterfowl loads in non toxic buckshot #4???

Looks like a call to the politicians is in order.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:54 PM

Wow. At first I thought the OP had to be in error. This is why we need lawmakers who know what they're doing. Not that they read them, but emails will be going to Minister Phillips and my MLA. I wonder if there is a media outlet that would pick this up?
Maybe we call RAP and report the minister for allowing the edible meat of a game animal to go to waste?

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-16-2018, 07:34 PM

Exclamation

I am a BC Resident Hunter as of this writing, Former Alberta RH. This post does not constitute legal advice. That said, no, the Alberta Wildlife Act does not prohibit birdshot for Bird Game. From above CanIl linked page -

"Item 3

Items prohibited for hunting game birds

1 A shotgun that is capable of holding more than 3 shells in the magazine and chamber combined.

2 Any trap that could be used to hunt game birds.

3 Any bait consisting of a food attractant, including a mineral and any representation of a food attractant."

The Schedule qouted in the OP applies to Big Game. That's how the Act reads.

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 03-16-2018 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Removing reduntant text.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post

The Schedule qouted in the OP applies to Big Game. That's how the Act reads.
I respectfully disagree. Item 1 (where the ban on pellets smaller than .24 is found) is "Items prohibited for hunting all wildlife." It also includes the ban of recorded sounds, except for snow geese, crows, magpies, and the wild canids (which are clearly not big game).
Item 2 is "Items prohibited for hunting big game" and includes ammunition smaller than .23, etc.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor

Last edited by alacringa; 03-16-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:12 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I respectfully disagree. Item 1 (where the ban on pellets smaller than .24 is found) is "Items prohibited for hunting all wildlife." It also includes the ban of recorded sounds, except for snow geese, crows, magpies, and the wild canids (which are clearly not big game).
Item 2 is "Items prohibited for hunting big game" and includes ammunition smaller than .23, etc.
In Canada you're entitled to your opinion. None the less, it's wrong. We may not have a Judge in house, yet the common law on the matter clearly shows that the way the Act is read in Court would state that Bird regs apply to birds. This shall be proven, not in Court but Afield this coming Spring Turkey and subsequent Fall Upland and Waterfowl seasons!

Beware a my side bias Folks lolz
Old 03-16-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
In Canada you're entitled to your opinion.
My opinion is, the shot size regulation belongs under item 2 (big game), where 4.1 would fall under Shotgun bore size and not under poisons, as it does in item 1 (all wildlife). Pretty sure some incompetent ***** inserted in the wrong place, and further incompetent *****s didn't catch that it was in the wrong place. Hoping that's right, and it will be fixed.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Wow. At first I thought the OP had to be in error. This is why we need lawmakers who know what they're doing. Not that they read them, but emails will be going to Minister Phillips and my MLA. I wonder if there is a media outlet that would pick this up?
Maybe we call RAP and report the minister for allowing the edible meat of a game animal to go to waste?
I've been keeping watch for the new Act/regulations, curious to see how F&W handled their intended weapon changes.

When I first read the Act this morning, I thought I was either still asleep or it was April 1.

Had another coffee and checked the calendar, read it again for the tenth time....

Sent a text to F&W. After showing them the new legislation, they were able to confirm that this is a mistake.

ONE amendment to the Wildlife Act and "they" (several bureaucrats and lawyers, and approval by the politicians) all get it wrong. Lots of time and money spent making this mistake, more to fix it....
It took some guy on the net to find it. I'm awaiting my fee for catching their error.

As suggested, this was supposed to be in Item 2 - Items prohibited for Hunting Big Game.
The mistake will be fixed, though probably not before Spring Goose season is well underway.
Wonder who is going to get charged for using BB's....

No need for any more emails to the gov., unless you want to.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Any pre-amble into the reasoning behind this?
Quite honestly, this new reg is absolutely absurd!! I am always giving guys crap for shooting bird game with heavy shot. At distances I would consider too close, (walking up over pointing dogs in particular) it can literally destroy the bird and render it useless for salvage as food.
At the same time, reading further, there is no mention of having to use steel for hunting of migratory birds.
The only reason I could think of is it's a work into to be able to call less guns hunting rifles and maybe ban. A few more. Probably me Bing paranoid.
But yeah grouse are going to expload
Old 03-17-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I've been keeping watch for the new Act/regulations, curious to see how F&W handled their intended weapon changes.

When I first read the Act this morning, I thought I was either still asleep or it was April 1.

Had another coffee and checked the calendar, read it again for the tenth time....

Sent a text to F&W. After showing them the new legislation, they were able to confirm that this is a mistake.

ONE amendment to the Wildlife Act and "they" (several bureaucrats and lawyers, and approval by the politicians) all get it wrong. Lots of time and money spent making this mistake, more to fix it....
It took some guy on the net to find it. I'm awaiting my fee for catching their error.

As suggested, this was supposed to be in Item 2 - Items prohibited for Hunting Big Game.
The mistake will be fixed, though probably not before Spring Goose season is well underway.
Wonder who is going to get charged for using BB's....

No need for any more emails to the gov., unless you want to.
Thanks for running with this.

But.

I do think we should lamb baste the Government over their incompetence, to ensure they make a correction of their error, top priority.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-17-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
The only reason I could think of is it's a work into to be able to call less guns hunting rifles and maybe ban. A few more. Probably me Bing paranoid.
But yeah grouse are going to expload
Too bad this is a Provincial matter, while the banning of guns is a Federal matter.

Leave the foil for cooking.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-17-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
The recorded sound rules havent changed. Those rules have been that way for years.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:44 PM

Are the 2018 hunting regulations out yet?
Old 03-17-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
Are the 2018 hunting regulations out yet?
No, they won’t be till at least mid summer(as it’s been for about the last decade or more)

This info was gleened from the Wildlife Act.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-17-2018, 05:09 PM

Gotcha
Old 03-17-2018, 05:46 PM

Default Big Game shotgun restriction

So a 12 gauge shotgun with a slug barrel is exempt?

It exceeds the requirement of the minimum calibre (i.e.ammunition of less than .23 calibre) for big game hunting in AB.
Max a shotgun of a gauge greater than 10.
A shotgun having a gauge of .410 or less Note: 410 is not a gauge it is bore diameter.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr Luxus View Post
So a 12 gauge shotgun with a slug barrel is exempt?

It exceeds the requirement of the minimum calibre (i.e.ammunition of less than .23 calibre) for big game hunting in AB.
Max a shotgun of a gauge greater than 10.
A shotgun having a gauge of .410 or less Note: 410 is not a gauge it is bore diameter.
Yes, a 12 gauge a slug barrel (do you mean rifled?) is legal for hunting big game, as long as the projectile is at least .24" in diameter.

Of course we could have the discussion again on just what is the legal definition of a "Shotgun" and now, "Shotgun Ammunition".

In Canada, there is NO legal definition of a "Shotgun" or "Shotgun Ammunition".

Old 03-19-2018, 12:45 PM
Banned

According to the Alberta Game Bird regulations...the only stipulation they make (size of shot) is that it cannot be larger than 10g. (except Merriams Turkeys)
http://albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/genregs.html

So as happens often with the gov't...the left hand has no clue what the right is doing.