Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 05:48 AM

Default Best dog for Pheasant hunting

My dream dog has always been the German Short Haired Pointer.
Retirement is maybe one year away. Then I might get him.
But the GSP is a high energy dog. Not sure if I need that in my life any more.

Never hunted over a dog ,something I always wanted.
Just Watched Angler and Hunter on Tv and they were hunting Pheasants with
Springers. Never would of considered a Springer .
My Second choice of dog would be a Britney or a wired haired before a Springer.

Just hopping to hear some input of dog owners
Old 03-12-2018, 05:57 AM

You might find this interesting reading.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ight=pheasants

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-12-2018, 06:09 AM

Default pheasant dogs

I hunt half of the year chasing pheasants. I do lots of tournament shoots, and just social hunting with a variety of people and a greater variety of dogs! Most of the dogs are all decent hunters and perform as well in the field, as the owner has put in the time to train them for.
I would start by deciding if you want a pointer or a flusher, and then look at the traits of different dogs. Where do you hunt, and what is the terrain like?
Pick a dog that will suit yourself more for activity level and as a companion. You will have the dog year round, even though you may only hunt for one or two months of the year.
I find that the spaniels are generally a bit more high-strung and needing to run. If you come home every day just wanting to kick back on the couch, you may not want to go this route, as they need to be run lots. Most retrievers are extremely social, and content just to hang around. Keep in mind, THEY ALL START OFF AS PUPPIES, AND WILL NOT LOSE THAT HIGH ENERGY FOR THE FIRST FEW YEARS!!
Other things to take into consideration is the coat. Long haired dogs do tend to gather burs and misc nasties that need attention after each outing. Shedding period will often create tension with the wife! I have a freind with a Visla. Fantastic upland dog, but not super great for really cold weather, and wont go into water past his knees! Are you going to want a multi-purpose dog down the road, like a duck retriever? All things to consider.

I am sure other forum members can add to this list of things to consider

Last edited by oldgutpile; 03-12-2018 at 06:11 AM. Reason: finish
Old 03-12-2018, 06:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

One that hunts

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-12-2018, 07:19 AM

Come out to one or two of our NAVHDA field days this spring/summer, and watch the various breeds in action. You can also talk to many owners and ask whatever questuins you might have. I am sure that we can even arrange to get you hunting over a dog or two next fall to get a better idea of what hunting over a dog is all about. As was previously mentioned you have the dog 12 months each year, so you need to choose a breed that suits your lifestyle. Once you have narrowed down the breed, research breeders, and get on a list for a pup for a future litter, as the most desired breeders usually have a waiting list for pups. I was over a year from retirement when I started the process, and I had a breeder selected, and a deposit down for a pup about nine months before the planned litter. I had already hunted extensively over multiple breeds, so I had a good idea of breed, but my final choice was based on the breeder, after talking to several references, talking to the breeder, and doing research online about breeders.
A good online reference is the versatile hunting dog forum, it is based in the USA, but many Canadians are members, and many members have pups from Canadian breeders. The Canadian Upland hunting forum on Facebook is another good reference to check out. In the end, choose whether you want a pointer or a flusher, a bigger dog, or a smaller dog, and then the bloodline is probably more important that the specific breed. The bloodline is more of a factor in the personality of the dog than the specific breed. Some dogs are calm and non destructive, while another dog from the same breed , but a different bloodline, may be hyper and very destructive in the home. Some bloodlines will produce better hunters , and while you can train obedience, you can't train the hunting drive into a dog that doesn't have it.
In the end, choose a breed you like, from a breeder that has a reputation for good bloodlines, join a club to meet other owners, and that can provide a training field and birds for training, and spend the time required to train your pup and keep it exercised. If all goes well, you will have a pup that will be able to hunt well before it is a year old, and that is very capable by the second hunting season.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:58 AM
Banned

Default It's pretty clear !

For the occasional rooster Hunter , mixed with all other birds . LAB .

Want a classy , foot hunting , great pet dog ....For the last 100 years
The Supreme Gun Dog ......WPG .....Wire Haired Pointing Griffon .
Definitely All Weather ....

There seems to be two classes of Birders .....dog watchers
or bird killers .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (27.3 KB, 115 views)
Old 03-12-2018, 08:37 AM

Well, I’m biased towards labs. So that would be my recommendation. However with that said, you did say that your dream dog was a GSP. I would say get that. If you don’t you might regret it and always have the “what if” or “should have” in the back of your mind.

Another option you might try is finding somebody to take you hunting over any of the sporting breeds that you might be interested in, as it might help you make a decision. With a year or so until you want the dog you might get a chance to visit wwbirds or Wessex for a pheasant shoot.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:00 AM

Any dog worth it's salt in the field will have a higher than normal level of energy. Get a GSP if that is what you like to look at - 80% of the time in the field is spent watching your dog.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:47 AM

O no!! not another best pheasant dog post, refer back to last one went on for weeks. Then the Springer Spanial found to be best dog breed !!
Old 03-12-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
O no!! not another best pheasant dog post, refer back to last one went on for weeks. Then the Springer Spanial found to be best dog breed !!
Some peopl's opinion found the springer to be the top pheasant dog, but then again, there is no way to actually prove scientifically which breed is superior for pheasants.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:53 AM

As mentioned, most of your time spent with a dog is not hunting. You should consider how much room it takes to work a high energy dog and how far you will have to drive to these areas. If you are in the city as your profile suggests, you might be looking at 1/2-1 hour each day driving to an open spot. A few minutes at the off leash park is more of a torture to a big running dog than a workout.

I know you ask for the best Pheasant dog but if you are in Edmonton you will basically looking at release sites. Any decent house pet can find Pheasants at the release sites and even that gets old fairly quickly. I personally would be looking at a dog with a warmer coat than a GSP in central or northern AB and a dog versatile enough to do some water/bush hunting without ranging too far or or loosing patience.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:12 AM

Default Wellll

A German Springer Lab. Kind of a mix breed lol.

Last edited by hunterfisher; 03-12-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: .
Old 03-12-2018, 12:42 PM

best dog to take pheasant hunting is the dog you take with you
Old 03-12-2018, 02:17 PM

All I will add to this is that GSPs can be very, very high strung depending on breeding. I have had calm and I have had off the charts. Off the charts was great in the field, but not so much in the house. You only spend a very small portion of time in the field. In addition, for a pointing dog you will need live birds and wild birds. Neither are all that easy to come by, and building a pigeon loft in the city will not win you many friends. Choose based on the dog you want to hang out with for the 335 + days you will not be hunting. Best of luck in your search.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2018, 02:21 PM
Banned

TOLLER!! This pup is awesome!
Old 03-12-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
All I will add to this is that GSPs can be very, very high strung depending on breeding.
I have found this to be true with most all sporting breeds.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
I have found this to be true with most all sporting breeds.
True. He's asking about a gsp though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2018, 05:44 PM

I used to have a Large Munsterlander that was awesome. Point, retrieve, hunting machines, and a very chill dog around the house.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:39 PM

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-12-2018, 06:58 PM

It's a forum. That's what we do... discuss things with no clear answer
Old 03-12-2018, 07:27 PM

GSP 100% for the terrain in alberta
lab great water dog
springer great pheasant dog
GSP great all round dog,just my 2 cents.
As for the high energy it comes with 99% of hunting dogs,Mine has turned 2 in December and his house manners has greatly improved.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
For the occasional rooster Hunter , mixed with all other birds . LAB .

Want a classy , foot hunting , great pet dog ....For the last 100 years
The Supreme Gun Dog ......WPG .....Wire Haired Pointing Griffon .
Definitely All Weather ....

There seems to be two classes of Birders .....dog watchers
or bird killers .

WPG are alot of things but classy isnt one of them
Old 03-15-2018, 10:45 PM

I pheasant hunt (and waterfowl) with my lab (choc).

He's a relentless hunting machine, but has a complete off switch at home. Great laid back house dog you'd forget was even there sometimes.

But when he sees you filling a thermos at 4am in late September....

It all comes down to the time you spend working with your dog, regardless of breed.

All the best with whatever you pick...it's the best thing ever to hunt with a dog!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:15 AM

If a GSP is your dream get one. They are loyal they are gorgeous and they live to hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8F48332A-64A1-491C-8D98-0792011C672A.jpg (46.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DDE5FD83-E059-4C44-9068-69015C675CC6.jpg (49.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 03-18-2018, 09:02 AM

Default The best dog for pheasants is...

...this one!

But you can't have him.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-18-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
...this one!

But you can't have him.
Mine has made a few water retrieves on pheasant as well' one where he was breaking a thin skim of ice to reach the bird.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:23 AM

Our GSP also loves the water he will go in and get geese and ducks along with the best labs the only issue with a GSP is they get cold so if it’s very cold outside or they are in the water just get them a nice neoprene vest to stay warm.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:43 PM

Right in the water, and even cold water??? Wow, that is most impressive!

Let's say the jury is still out on the best pheasant dog, but I think we should leave the water retrieves out of the discussion lest we venture into the realm of the ridiculous.

Raw Outdoors, there is issues beyond cold when you ask a GSP to retrieve ducks and geese with "the best labs". Because of their web feet and buoyancy, Labradors swim effortlessly at speed. Their undercoat literally traps air so they don't get truly soaked to the skin like a GSP. It takes effort and energy for a GSP to swim as he is not buoyant and the rapid heat loss can lead to a dangerous or even fatal hypodermic state on a long retrieve into cold water, even with the vest. They do not carry body fat by nature and even if they survive the swim they may not be able to regain body temperature. This is not a knock against the GSP as this is actually their strong suit. They stay cool in the field and can run all day in conditions that would kill a Labrador with heat stroke.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:03 AM

Default Dog choice

If you get a chance hunt behind a good flushing dog and a good pointing dog. I appreciate both styles but my preference is a pointing breed. I would not turn down a hunt with a good flusher but if given a choice I will always choose my GWP's. Most good hunting dogs will be a little higher energy but good ones settle down once they are in the house. They will need frequent exercise though or they will get themselves into trouble.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:10 PM

I have had a couple of Brittanies and they are awesome dogs. Well mannered dogs at home and in the field. Highly recommend them.