Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-30-2017, 05:53 PM

Default Sako quality

Another thread motivated to share my experience on sako . I have been involved in the shooting industry since 1973 and the only issues I have run into with sako

1 Some stocks use to warp on the models in the late 70 early 80
2 On the L61R in big caliber the bolt guide could slide forward off the collar and keeper spring and lock the action
3 Extractor get blown off. Not the fault of the gun ,too hot of loads, but it happens

Overall Sako is probably the best major manufacture of rifles in my opinion in terms of quality. You may find something more eye appealing or fit you better but when it comes to overall performance and quality they will be hard to beat
Old 05-30-2017, 07:39 PM

Notorious for having plain wood stocks though. Smart guys shoot Sakos.

Grizz
Old 05-30-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Notorious for having plain wood stocks though. Smart guys shoot Sakos.

Grizz
I would agree on a lot of the hunter lines, in the old days, and perhaps the newer wood stocks. I have seen many beautiful old school Vixens, and Finnbears. Also the much less common Safaris were a thing of beauty.....but buying new, you sure don't see the wood you used to. Same goes for their bluing, the old ones were like a mirror, then the cost cutting came
Old 05-30-2017, 08:24 PM

I've had several, all were great shooters and hunters.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:33 PM

After owning most popular brands and models I finally realized sako was my brand.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:50 PM
Banned

Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Another thread motivated to share my experience on sako . I have been involved in the shooting industry since 1973 and the only issues I have run into with sako

1 Some stocks use to warp on the models in the late 70 early 80
2 On the L61R in big caliber the bolt guide could slide forward off the collar and keeper spring and lock the action
3 Extractor get blown off. Not the fault of the gun ,too hot of loads, but it happens

Overall Sako is probably the best major manufacture of rifles in my opinion in terms of quality. You may find something more eye appealing or fit you better but when it comes to overall performance and quality they will be hard to beat

The actual construction and control is still ok.

Wood is and will always be subjective.

I sold a vixen ,not because it did not do what it was to do.

But i propagate my journey .
Old 05-30-2017, 08:53 PM

I have had five Sakos:

Bavarian - 270 WSM
Hunter - 30-06
Gray Wolf - 6.5x55
Finnlight - 270 Win
A7 - 7mm-08

All were nice. Neither the Bavarian nor Hunter had stunning wood. They should have for the price. The Bavarian's stock design is aesthetically pleasing, at least to me, but contributed to a hard recoiling gun, especially with the hockey puck masquerading as a recoil pad. The Finnlight recoiled way harder than a 270 Win ever should, and it wasn't just because it is light; I've had half a dozen Kimber Montanas, with the biggest being a 300WSM, and the Finnlight kicked more. The Gray Wolf was fine, but the stock really isn't any better than a laminated Tikka which costs about half. None had ejection issues. All actions were as smooth as butter. All were quite accurate and easy to load for. All had nice triggers, especially the set trigger on the Bavarian. I don't think I will ever have one again, as nothing jumped out at me to make me say "I love that gun", and while I got lucky, the ejection issue is real with these guns.

Over the years, I have bought and sold a schwack of guns, and like DoubleGun, owning most brands. During that time, I have come to like other makes better, namely Kimber and Cooper.

But this is all in the realm of subjectivity. Sako make very nice guns, but if I were to ever buy one again, it would have to be used, at a real good price, and have stunning wood, which is becoming less common on Sakos all the time.

Last edited by sns2; 05-30-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I have had five Sakos:

Bavarian - 270 WSM
Hunter - 30-06
Gray Wolf - 6.5x55
Finnlight - 270 Win
A7 - 7mm-08

All were nice. Neither the Bavarian nor Hunter had stunning wood. They should have for the price. The Bavarian's stock design is aesthetically pleasing, at least to me, but contributed to a hard recoiling gun, especially with the hockey puck masquerading as a recoil pad. The Finnlight recoiled way harder than a 270 Win ever should, and it wasn't just because it is light; I've had half a dozen Kimber Montanas, with the biggest being a 300WSM, and the Finnlight kicked more. The Gray Wolf was fine, but the stock really isn't any better than a laminated Tikka which costs about half. None had ejection issues. All actions were as smooth as butter. All were quite accurate and easy to load for. All had nice triggers, especially the set trigger on the Bavarian. I don't think I will ever have one again, as nothing jumped out at me to make me say "I love that gun", and while I got lucky, the ejection issue is real with these guns.

Over the years, I have bought and sold a schwack of guns, and like DoubleGun, owning most brands. During that time, I have come to like other makes better, namely Kimber and Cooper.

But this is all in the realm of subjectivity. Sako make very nice guns, but if I were to ever buy one again, it would have to be used, at a real good price, and have stunning wood, which is becoming less common on Sakos all the time.
never could figure out why they made a very good/expensive rifle and put that puck on it ... I believe the recoil some say is heavy is because of the recoil pads more than design .. JMO
Old 05-30-2017, 09:16 PM

Both I would think

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 05:55 PM

I've got 3 Sako's left. 1. Model 995 in 270 Weatherby Mag. 2. Model 75 SS in 300 Weatherby Mag. 3. Model 75 blue synthetic in 7mm Weatherby Mag. I love them all. All shoot well under MOA. I also had over the years a Model L61R in 25-06. A model 85 stainless laminate in 300 WSM. A model AV Mannlicher stocked 338 Win Mag. A model 75 SS in 7mm Rem Mag. A model A7 blue synthetic in 300 WSM. A model AV Deluxe Finnbear in 30-06. In other words I like Sako rifles. Unfortunately I got distracted and sold or traded most of these off. In my opinion I should have started buying Sako's 35 years ago. I spent a lot of money on other rifles that didn't measure up. The only other bolt guns I've found that measure up are older Tikka's.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:37 PM

I have a few Sako's. An AII in .308 and 7mm-08. AV Mannlichers in 30-06, 300 WM, and 338 WM. An L61R Mannlicher in 300 WM. Also have a North American Arms Grizzly with an L57 Sako action in .308. Had an AIII in 7mm RM that went to my brother and an AV in .270 that went to my nephew.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
I have a few Sako's. An AII in .308 and 7mm-08. AV Mannlichers in 30-06, 300 WM, and 338 WM. An L61R Mannlicher in 300 WM. Also have a North American Arms Grizzly with an L57 Sako action in .308. Had an AIII in 7mm RM that went to my brother and an AV in .270 that went to my nephew.
Would I be wrong in assuming you like them???
Old 06-01-2017, 12:12 AM

after I bought my first Sako m75ss back in 1997, I never looked back. I have a few or more now😎👍. With a few m75 Greywolf models too.

I love them. Flawless action -silky smooth , never an issue with the rifle or scope mounts (Optilocks)👍👍👍👍
Old 06-01-2017, 01:21 AM

The sako 75's I got hook on,the hunter series had some beautiful stocks and nice barrels.All my friends that hunted with all have one of my sako's and I still own more than one.I have given a good go at the 85 series and after trying many out I gave up,even with what I think of some models I will always be a sako guy,is there better out there sure there is.

It just depends on what you have grown to like and like a nice sako.

Since the 85 model has come out,kimber,cooper and others make a darn nice and good rifle,but I own a few of the other brands I still will pic a good sako for my hunting.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Would I be wrong in assuming you like them???
No....no, you would not be wrong. It's my father's fault.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:34 AM

Had a Sako Vixen in 222 amazing gun, great wood, beaver-tail stock, varmint barrel, should have never sold it but I needed the cash for a 243 I wanted. Had a gopher grenade round that would vaporize the little guys out to 300 yards.

Also have a sako quad in 17hmr and am waiting for a 22mag barrel for it. Ive shot the quad a lot more than the vixen, for a rimfire the action is amazing and the thing is more accurate than I am. Not the biggest fan of the bluing on it especially compared to the vixen. Bluing is pretty faded and not even old. But accuracy wise within 125 yards its comparable with the 222 vixen. Hate the synthetic stock on the quad but might get a Houge laminate for it.

Id love to pick up a TRG or 85 if i wanted to waste some money. I use Tikkas for my big game hunting and they have served me well over the last 10 years. Something about holding a Sako vs a Tikka makes you feel better and shoot a little bit better dont know what it is.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husty View Post
Had a Sako Vixen in 222 amazing gun, great wood, beaver-tail stock, varmint barrel, should have never sold it but I needed the cash for a 243 I wanted. Had a gopher grenade round that would vaporize the little guys out to 300 yards.

Also have a sako quad in 17hmr and am waiting for a 22mag barrel for it. Ive shot the quad a lot more than the vixen, for a rimfire the action is amazing and the thing is more accurate than I am. Not the biggest fan of the bluing on it especially compared to the vixen. Bluing is pretty faded and not even old. But accuracy wise within 125 yards its comparable with the 222 vixen. Hate the synthetic stock on the quad but might get a Houge laminate for it.

Id love to pick up a TRG or 85 if i wanted to waste some money. I use Tikkas for my big game hunting and they have served me well over the last 10 years. Something about holding a Sako vs a Tikka makes you feel better and shoot a little bit better dont know what it is.
Did your Vixen look like mine?

Old 06-01-2017, 10:03 AM

Planning to buy my first Sako in the next month or so,soon as I'm done playing catch up on bills from spring breakup.😫
Leaning towards buying a 85 Greywolf in .300WSM.
I "was" lusting for a new Fierce for months now.....but the more I learn about Fierce,the harder it is for me to justify paying double for essentially a Sako clone?🤔
Old 06-01-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Did your Vixen look like mine?

Yup - that is not my gun though i sold it back to the original owner. When i bought it off him the terms were if i ever sold it, id sell it back to him for the same price i bought it. Hes a family friend so I had to, otherwise i could have sold it for double price i paid.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Planning to buy my first Sako in the next month or so,soon as I'm done playing catch up on bills from spring breakup.😫
Leaning towards buying a 85 Greywolf in .300WSM.
I "was" lusting for a new Fierce for months now.....but the more I learn about Fierce,the harder it is for me to justify paying double for essentially a Sako clone?🤔
Forget that Fierce. I read more bad things than good things from guys who have bought them.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Forget that Fierce. I read more bad things than good things from guys who have bought them.
Other than price, what's the difference between a Sako 85 and a Fierce?
Old 06-01-2017, 10:39 AM

Quality control / fit and finish / delivery times

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2017, 12:17 PM

Have had 3 Sakos finnbar 270 ,finnbar 7mm, 85 in 270win still have the 85 very nice gun .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151204_095432.jpg (84.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-01-2017, 01:00 PM

I have a 338 federal in a hunter and a 243 in a stainless.
My 338 is not a tack driver, 1.5" gun at best, however, it shoots all factory ammo into 1.5", it's not fussy.
My 243 was extremely hard to find a factory load that was under 1.5". It took along time but I came across some Sako factory ammo in 100 grain soft point and boy, it's puts em into a very nice clover leaf pattern. But it doesn't like anything else.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Banned

My Sako's weren't particularly accurate rifles but all functioned well. The least picky and most accurate was the cheapest one, the A7. Sako makes a nice rifle but at $2000-$3000 I would opt for a Cooper any day.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
My Sako's weren't particularly accurate rifles but all functioned well. The least picky and most accurate was the cheapest one, the A7. Sako makes a nice rifle but at $2000-$3000 I would opt for a Cooper any day.
If buying new you have a good point. But there are a lot of used Sako's on the market from $850 - $1800. You won't get a Cooper in that budget range. I paid on average $1300 for mine. And they shoot.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Other than price, what's the difference between a Sako 85 and a Fierce?
Aside from above mentioned QC,fit n finish,delivery time....not a whole lotta difference but....
-Custom options....Fierce is somewhat of a semi-custom rifle,with options for stock,barrel,titanium action etc.
-liteweight is attractive,though I'm not sure how I feel about a <6lbs naked magnum?Would be a pleasure to carry hunting,range days not so fun?
-out of the box guaranteed .5MOA vs. Sako 1MOA gaurantee....I don't think any moose or elk inside 700yards is gonna care one way or the other about 1/2 MOA?
-Fierce has standard integrated scope rails vs. Sako nonsense requiring proprietary scope rings.
-Sako has more designated action lengths vs Fierce's 4 action lengths.....I've heard(or read?) that with some Fierce chamberings,WSMs in particular,that ejection angle/scope clearance can be an issue with ejected cases dinging off the windage turret??
-$2100 for the Sako Greywolf that I want in .300WSM vs. $4200 for Fierce CT Edge .300WSM "inventory rifle" that doesn't even have the exact stock I'd like(cosmetic appeal/camo pattern)....or $5K+ and a year wait to get my choice of stock color.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
If buying new you have a good point. But there are a lot of used Sako's on the market from $850 - $1800. You won't get a Cooper in that budget range. I paid on average $1300 for mine. And they shoot.
I lucked out and got a used Cooper for $1700, but that was back when the dollar was good.

I'd take that Tikka your son has over any new Sako though!
Old 06-01-2017, 02:28 PM

Isn't a Cooper just a Remington clone?
Old 06-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Isn't a Cooper just a Remington clone?
Um, no.