Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-05-2017, 09:16 PM

Default New shooting bench today!

Made a shooting bench this weekend. I basicially copied the patern from the famous sturkey system. Mine is about 20lbs heavier and I can tell you I could part a truck on this thing too! The legs slide into the larger pipe with about 10 thou clearance and tighten in with a simple 5/8 bolt and welded nut. seconds to set up and not on millimeter movement when pushed from side to side.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:23 PM

outstanding! that is exactly what i want to build
Old 03-05-2017, 09:25 PM

How is that little heater doing with that giant gap under the overhead door?

Table looks great!
Old 03-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Banned

Nice job on the table
Old 03-06-2017, 06:31 AM

Great job.

The top looks excellent, like furniture worthy. Looks and sounds stable and obviously portable.

Well done.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:35 AM

What's the top made of?
Old 03-06-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
What's the top made of?
Just a cheap sheet of 3/4" spruce. It only looks nice cause.I hit it with the tiger torch for 20 seconds to scorch it. then 2 coats of.clear coat.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:29 AM

Looks good if your right handed
Old 03-06-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Looks good if your right handed
I made one for my buddy too. Your limited to buying full lengths of steel at general, so we split the cost. His top is ambidextrous and there is a handle on both sides of the frame for right and left handed shooters. (he's a lefty but all his buddy's are right handed). Here's a picture of my table all packed up. As you can see the bottom of the table is just a plain Jane sheet of spruce plywood. I used 2 pieces of velcro to hold the legs together and 2 more pieces to secure the chair to the table frame.

If anyone is interested I could built them one. The height is 34" finished. The top is 45" long by 35" wide. the whole unit weights about 80-90 lbs. it's made with quality schedule 80 pipe for the leg adaptors, schedule 40 pipe for the legs and 2" - 1/8th angle iron. The materials were around 125$. I wouldn't be doing it to make money but would charge a small fee to cover a little time and my beers . It took about 12+ hrs to finish it. I'm no professional welder, but it's plenty secure. I really enjoy tinkering around in the garage and love paying it forward to the shooting community. If you have any ideas you'd like added to the table I love to learn so I'd definitely entertain the ideas of trying.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:01 PM

Default Nicely DOne

Nice. Looks Great! Hope you use it a ton.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:23 AM

Smile 270 elk

Outstanding job I now have new project
Old 03-08-2017, 12:19 PM

I built one out of the cheap Canadian tire fold up saw horse(2) and plywood,its wobbly but works.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:43 PM

Awesome !!...even got a handle on the bdle of legs...that was using the old noggin....LOL Great Job !!
Old 03-08-2017, 01:41 PM

My buddy built one very similar to this.

After a couple of seasons all he added was some feet to legs (from the same size of pipe used to secure the legs to the table) with multiple holes drilled in so that each leg was adjustable in length and could be secured with a pin (he used a long enough hitch pin which he secured to each leg with a piece of light steel cable).

He first added s small piece of square plate to the bottom of each "foot", but that made bundling the legs together difficul. He then ground off all of the plate outside of the diameter of the pipe. The filled in pipe feet seem to a good enough job of not sinking into the soil.

We have found that the ability to level the table after a few shots is a great asset.

Great job on yours by the way.

ps. my friend never thought to add a carrying handle to the legs...
Old 03-09-2017, 01:25 PM

I'm building on right now that plugs into the receiver hitch on my trucks. I only have one backstop for 50- 300 yards where I shoot so ease of portability was important. Thought it would be great for gopher shoots as well.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:20 PM

I have built a few like this. Very stable and portable. The top comes off and the legs fold up.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:20 AM

Hey everyone. I have decided to build and sell these tables. All the proceeds are going to Duck Unlimited.

If your have any questions check out the buy and sell under hunting items. I just posted it this morning.

The green one is already SPF and the black one is still up for grabs. If you'd like your own built I will take a deposit of 125$ for the materials and the addition 150$ can be given to me in cash which I'll donate or you can provide me with a new receipt showing a deposit of 150$ to ducks unlimited which I can then use for tax time to get back some of my labor. That's a total price of 275$. You get a sturdy and portable bench, I get some money back for my time and the majority goes to a great cause!
Old 03-16-2017, 11:50 AM

You're a heckuva good dude.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:48 PM

Sorry I messed up. They're posted under buy and sell under misc items. It's not under hunting items.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:12 PM

Nice looking units but 90 pounds isn't real light. I would think a guy wouldn't want to be moving around in a gopher field a lot with one of those. I think I am going to stick to the light weight easy to collapse version. Simple Plastic folding picnic table. Flips upside down into box of truck without folding, lots of room for two shooters. Cost $30, weight 15 pounds.

Best of luck with yours though, I thinnk it is a great thing you are doing for DU. Be careful when you are claiming the deduction that they don't also make you claim the income becasue it was traceable. Cash be king.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Nice looking units but 90 pounds isn't real light. I would think a guy wouldn't want to be moving around in a gopher field a lot with one of those. I think I am going to stick to the light weight easy to collapse version. Simple Plastic folding picnic table. Flips upside down into box of truck without folding, lots of room for two shooters. Cost $30, weight 15 pounds.

Best of luck with yours though, I thinnk it is a great thing you are doing for DU. Be careful when you are claiming the deduction that they don't also make you claim the income becasue it was traceable. Cash be king.

Sweet looking rig you have there! I have 4 folding tables the the boys and I used to use as well. Although, I've found that when I'm reaching out yonder I needed more stability. Any little breeze, bump or fart and the table the cross hairs are all over the map. And if I'm doing any kind of load development forget it. I do like the tables for laying flat on the snow then laying prone on them tho.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:04 AM

Went out a couple days ago and used my bench for the first time. Here's the result! Over the last few months I've noticed that my custom 243 has been lacking accuracy. What used to be hole in hole was slightly changing to the odd flyer to .5 moa. I decided to do a little seating depth changes and see if it'd tighten back up. (assuming the throat has slighted eroded do to lots of rounds fired). The first 3 shots fired produced this little gem. 1 cold bore and 2 follow ups. 10 thou longer coal is all it took. I checked the original load of 2.680" its at .4" and the slightly longer one of 2.700" is at .3". She's all set for yotes and gophers!

Old 03-27-2017, 01:24 PM

I need to invest in a nice portable shooting table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2017, 06:47 PM

I have enough materials for 1 more bench. 9 sold. That's nearly 1500$ for DU! Search for the benches under buy and sell.