Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-02-2008, 08:06 PM

Default went scouting today

i saw about 25-30 deer and 3 yotes in a 2 hr walk of a coulee this afternoon, all were mulies and not one had head gear on that I could see. could be they were all does or could be they lost their racks already. either way i didn't find any sheds but saw lots of deer and got a better idea of where they will be next fall.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:39 PM

Sorry to wreeck your day but this time of year most of the deer have migrated to diffrent areas from where they will be in the fall.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Sorry to wreeck your day but this time of year most of the deer have migrated to diffrent areas from where they will be in the fall.
nube,

Sorry to hear about this development, I was under the impression from my past experiance that a well travelled game trail is used year round and that deer are not migratory animals. However, keep in mind that I am not a wildlife bioligist and do not have tracking devices on the local deer to see where they go in the off season. I have however noticed numerous deer, trails, tracks and other sign in the same areas that I have had success in hunting season. The same trails I have shot numerous deer on during hunting season are well tracked out for the balance of the winter and the summer as well. I also thought that if you found a shed dropped in the late winter or early spring that it was a good indication that that buck lived in that general area. I guess this means that the deer I see in this coulee in the winter are not the same ones I see in the summer or fall. Any idea where they go and the new ones come from?