Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Banned

Default NEW 2008 HIGH TECH HUNTER vs ole school

OK , BOYS/GIRLS ,
PRICE LIST ,for the new high tech hunter of today vs the ole school hunter of yesterday.

Today camo hat $30 bucks , ole school ,farm hat $2bucks or less.
Today camo jacket , $200 bucks , old school , cheap parka , 15 bucks.
Today , camo pants , 150 bucks , ole school , old pants from work , no cost.
Today camo face mask , 25 bucks, ole school, nothin.
Today ,high tech bow , 350 bucks , ole school, made our own , free.
Today high tech bow accessorrys , 200 bucks , ole school , nothin.
Today , fancy calls , 35 bucks , ole school , home made or mouth.
Today fancy camo boots , 159/200 bucks , ole school , $2 pair rubber boots.
Today range finder , $300 bucks , ole school , head computor.
Today , binos , $600 bucks , ole school , cheap pair from hardware store.
Today ,GSP locator , $400 bucks , ole school , went by sun , or moss on trees.
Today , tree stand $ 300 bucks , old school , just built a blind.
Today , fancy rifle , $1400 bucks , ole school , win 30 30.
Today , $40,000 dollar dodge diesel truck , ole school , 1 horse , or an old chev pick me up.
Today , $700 dog , ole school , ole mutt got fer free.
Today Cell /sat phone $ 300 bucks , ole school , just walked out .
You boys add it up , gittin darn expensive ta hunt taday.

Last edited by BUD; 03-03-2008 at 12:13 AM. Reason: .
Old 03-02-2008, 07:42 PM

I'm in the old school section, except i like to play with a few "new school" toys, like my geovid - I never rely on it however, and only use the rangefinder for REAL long stuff.

My rifle isn't a 30/30, buit I have hunted with many original rifles far older.
I like guns, period!
Camo gets worn sometimes, sometimes not, and hardly ever except when hinting, I take it off when in town, I actually like my beat up Carharts better

Treestands? only been in them three times in over 40 years , i'd rather be on the ground, not 'cause I scared ya understand, just because I like still hunting and stalking better.

Cell phone? I use one for work, and hate the thing.
I used to carry a bag phone in the boat and hardly used it at all.

I've also been accused of being "stuck in the past" , so i guess I am and don't care who knows it!
Cat
Old 03-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Well Bud,,,I guess thats progress, things are bound to get better, in some cases. Matter of factly, so much better, that if she were a race for a w/t doe for sausage, id suggest you stayed home to sharpen the knives. I would be done on avg in half the time, it would on avg take you to get meat. Lick-edy split, were cutting and wrapping!! Looking for that one special critter is a tough game, but look out,,, if its meat you want, your gonna get it.

keep a strain on er.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:54 AM

I guess I too am from the ole school. Was never much for the fancy gear, scents, gadgets and calls they have out these days.

Got to say though, the cell phone, GPS and ATV sure make things a little safer and easier.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:51 AM

I want to know where the $2 rubber boots came from, even as a kid they were at least $5 for me.

At any rate you do bring up some fine points BUD.

I still prefer the optics of today to the appearance of almost wax paper from the past.

Does that make me to new or still old?

There are no absolutes
Old 03-03-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I want to know where the $2 rubber boots came from, even as a kid they were at least $5 for me.

At any rate you do bring up some fine points BUD.

I still prefer the optics of today to the appearance of almost wax paper from the past.

Does that make me to new or still old?
Throw on a set of Lyman or Marbles iron sights and throw away the scope!
cat
Old 03-03-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Throw on a set of Lyman or Marbles iron sights and throw away the scope!
cat
Does a William's peep count?
I was talking binos BTW.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-03-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Does a William's peep count?
I was talking binos BTW.
I dunno, is it one of the old ones made from real metal, or one of their new pot metal things?
I just picked up an old Lyman 57 for Dad's #4mk1 - can't wait to get it out to the range!!
cat
Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
Bud, you ol' codger. I never looked at it like this but you are going to have to call me the high tech hunter of today. I have allready owned 3 GSP's.

The man with the most toys when he dies wins.
I'd say 3 GSPs makes you a dog lover and one with good taste to boot!
Me, I like it all, old or new as long as it has a good use you are most likely going to see me with one. I don't have romantized memories of the good old days, matted cheap sleeping bags, lanterns that exploded more often the roads in Iraq, wet leather boots, stuck two wheel drive trucks, leaky rubber rain gear, blurry optics, broken buck horn sights/peeps or the old .303 that was better as a jack handle than it ever was gun. We live in a fabulous time to be an outdoors man.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I'd say 3 GSPs makes you a dog lover and one with good taste to boot!
Me, I like it all, old or new as long as it has a good use you are most likely going to see me with one. I don't have romantized memories of the good old days, matted cheap sleeping bags, lanterns that exploded more often the roads in Iraq, wet leather boots, stuck two wheel drive trucks, leaky rubber rain gear, blurry optics, broken buck horn sights/peeps or the old .303 that was better as a jack handle than it ever was gun. We live in a fabulous time to be an outdoors man.
Don't forget premix, shimmed up water pumps in old johnson outboards that spewed and leaked through the hoses at times, and popped outta gear at the most inopurtune times, mounted on canvas covered greighters or old john boats that either leaked thugh the rivits or the ribs!
Actually I kinda miss those old times, especially when my back was so sore from packing guests antlers and stuff , or from the frame that held the outboard i was hauling into a remote slough.
And don't let me forget about the bears I had to go in after in willows so thick you had to crawl, or the moose that died conveniently in waist deep water because the guest got antsey and shot before i told him to- NOT!!

in all reality, old school, new school, whattever, life's been great so far.
the biggest disadpointment for me comes when i talk to someone who hhas lost thee passion for the bush....
Cat
Old 03-03-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Camo gets worn sometimes, sometimes not, and hardly ever except when hinting, I take it off when in town,
Yeah, Mine never gets worn in town either. Hate those looks that say "Hmmm, I didn't know there was a survivalist militia compound nearby"

And BUD, no more posts like this please. I've got my wife convinced I NEED all this crap. If she knew that MUCH more successful hunters than me were going out in blue jeans with $50 binos I'd never hear the end of it, and never be allowed to go within two miles of Wholesale or Russell's. LOL
Old 03-03-2008, 09:13 AM

Very good points Bud but that is marketing for you. Always something that is the latest and the greatest and guaranteed to make you a better hunter. Same thing applies in most everything nowadays. New golf clubs will shave 10 strokes off your score for example.

But we all love the new shiny things though.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I dunno, is it one of the old ones made from real metal, or one of their new pot metal things?
I just picked up an old Lyman 57 for Dad's #4mk1 - can't wait to get it out to the range!!
cat
Of course it's an old one and on that '52 vintage Marlin 336RC. You know the one with the burlly wood for a forend.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-03-2008, 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=catnthehat;118716]Don't forget premix, shimmed up water pumps in old johnson outboards that spewed and leaked through the hoses at times, and popped outta gear at the most inopurtune times, mounted on canvas covered greighters or old john boats that either leaked thugh the rivits or the ribs!
Actually I kinda miss those old times, especially when my back was so sore from packing guests antlers and stuff , or from the frame that held the outboard i was hauling into a remote slough.
And don't let me forget about the bears I had to go in after in willows so thick you had to crawl, or the moose that died conveniently in waist deep water because the guest got antsey and shot before i told him to- NOT!!

wow cat that makes you how old
Old 03-03-2008, 07:11 PM

[QUOTE=mud slug

wow cat that makes you how old [/QUOTE]
Younger than 60, but I'm having a hard time seeing 50 with my geovids!!
Cat
Old 03-04-2008, 06:16 AM

A happy memories. The sleeping bags were the worst really. You'd go to sleep a little chilly but eventually you fell asleep. Wake up about 4am damp and chilled through and finding you need to get up, shivering like you were having a seizure, to build up the fire again. Or the long days out there with gloves that seemed to make your hands colder than not wearing them at all. Now this might have more to do with growing up in Nova Scotia where there is more fog than deer, but I really appreciate the new warm, happy hunting clothing being engineered for guys like me.

Have to admit though there were binoculars that were of very good quality. My grandfather brought a very nice pair home from the war and while they weren't like the latest from Swavorski, they certainly were up to the task.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:28 AM

I still like to use the binoculars my father brought back in '66.
They are beck/Kassels, small (7X35's) and perfect for stalking and stuff.
The geovids have a very good rangefinder in them however, and although they are not as far reacing as the Barr and Stroud, they are about 900% lighter, more manouverable, and smaller!!

Cat
Old 03-04-2008, 07:07 AM

i guess i'm new school i like my toys rangefinders, gps, compact light binos,nice warm gortex boots and camo. i don't drink or smoke so i have to spend my money somewhere why not on toys for hunting and fishing.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud slug View Post
i guess i'm new school i like my toys rangefinders, gps, compact light binos,nice warm gortex boots and camo. i don't drink or smoke so i have to spend my money somewhere why not on toys for hunting and fishing.
x2

Lots good old stuff out there.....but man....I'm way more comfortable nowadays.

rifle $1800
scope $750
spotter $2000
tripod $450
binos $850
pack $500
r-find $600
tent $250
stove $180
bag $800
boots $300
rain suit $200
clothes $800
helicopter $1000
sheep tag $10
memories....priceless

**Mod's--could you please delete this post as of 16:20 today? I will be away from the computer and my Wife will have access to this post. Thank you in advance.....it is GREATLY appreciated.

tm
Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 AM

i am neither old or new school...just poor!! i takes what i can get!! haha...old gear, new gear, recycled/reclaimed gear. whatever gets me outside is all i care about.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 AM

I'm poor as well.....I just described everything I can see while sitting in the middle of the cabin

tm
Old 03-04-2008, 08:57 AM

i wish i was poor enough to have a cabin.....*wink* (i feel a monty python skit coming on..)
Old 03-04-2008, 09:05 AM

Kinda funny actually. We live 20 minutes out of town.....still get water out of the lake and make our own power.....lots of "extra work"...but well worth it.

Hopefully the lottery one day

tm
Old 03-04-2008, 09:11 AM

sounds nice actually.....
Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Banned

Love the new stuff,, rely heavy on the old,, I will try anything once if its good I'll stick with it if not into storage with it.. I have many of the new gadgets but find that in some cases they take away from the true experience of a hunt and we can loose a lot of basic knowledge relying on them..