Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-01-2008, 11:50 AM

Default Paid Hunting! Learning becuase I have to.

I susepect like many Albertans, I know very little about the dynamics and specifics of paid hunting. The reality is, we live in an amazing province that has opportunities that most hunters only dream of so having to pursue other means to fullfill our passion is not even an issue for most of us. However given the recent developements down south(OS), I've found myself trying to learn as much about the concepts and machinery behind the Proposal as possible. When I google the language, proponents of OS are using to extole the vitues of the program I find myself South of the Border, in a world of hunting I know nothing about. Of the dozens of sights I've visited, this one :

http://www.huntuso.com/about.shtml

appears to be the other side of the coin, with regards to how the questions of "third party" administration and Trophy management could be answered . It was eye opening to say the least, when I realized the scale and efficiency of this single outfit.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:53 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy ike View Post
I susepect like many Albertans, I know very little about the dynamics and specifics of paid hunting. The reality is, we live in an amazing province that has opportunities that most hunters only dream of so having to pursue other means to fullfill our passion is not even an issue for most of us. However given the recent developements down south(OS), I've found myself trying to learn as much about the concepts and machinery behind the Proposal as possible. When I google the language, proponents of OS are using to extole the vitues of the program I find myself South of the Border, in a world of hunting I know nothing about. Of the dozens of sights I've visited, this one :

http://www.huntuso.com/about.shtml

appears to be the other side of the coin, with regards to how the questions of "third party" administration and Trophy management could be answered . It was eye opening to say the least, when I realized the scale and efficiency of this single outfit.
Actually I've done a couple public land hunts with USO on draw tags. One of their specialties and the biggest side to their business is in drawing tags for their clients in the best public areas. I hunted elk with them in New Mexico and mule deer in Utah....all on public land but you are right that they do lease some private land as well. They are unquestionably the biggest application service in the U.S. but on that side of the business, you are paying for their expertise and not their access to private land. I'm guessing there are many outfitters with far greater areas of private land under lease in the U.S.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:31 AM

I was mostly interested in how they adminster their draw and manage their hunting areas. In one incarnation of the OS proposal the term "thrid part" or contractor was used and I was very curious how this works.

Do they (USO) do their own draw or do they contract that process out?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:36 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
I was mostly interested in how they adminster their draw and manage their hunting areas. In one incarnation of the OS proposal the term "thrid part" or contractor was used and I was very curious how this works.

Do they (USO) do their own draw or do they contract that process out?
USO doesn't do draws, they do draw application for their clients in a wide variety of states. They basically have their finger on the pulse of what areas are hot and what areas are not plus a host of other variables like where your odds of drawing are best and such. They apply for tags for me in New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and Utah.

Their ranch hunts, which I think is what you are refering to, are done on a first-come, first served basis.....no draw required.

As I said, the biggest part of their business is doing draw application for their clients in various states on public land.

I'm confused as to what draw you are talking about.

I suspect in the case of a third party contractor for OSA, that they were talking more of someone that sold the tags for landowners but this wouldn't require a draw....I'm sure it would be the first person with cash in their hand. I know there's been some talk about central agencies administering access for RAMP as well but I can't see that being financially viable for either party.

I think you may be a bit confused as to what USO actually does. Non residents are permitted to put in for draws in the U.S. right alongside residents and all USO does is handle that draw application for you and make sure you draw in a good area. There is no requirement to use them as an outfitter if you draw and as these are public areas, there's no need to hire any outfitter or get any access to private property. This is definitely not paid hunting....you are just paying for their knowledge and expertise.

Last edited by sheephunter; 03-03-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
USO doesn't do draws, they do draw application for their clients in a wide variety of states. They basically have their finger on the pulse of what areas are hot and what areas are not plus a host of other variables like where your odds of drawing are best and such. They apply for tags for me in New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and Utah.

Their ranch hunts, which I think is what you are refering to, are done on a first-come, first served basis.....no draw required.

As I said, the biggest part of their business is doing draw application for their clients in various states on public land.

I'm confused as to what draw you are talking about.

I suspect in the case of a third party contractor for OSA, that they were talking more of someone that sold the tags for landowners but this wouldn't require a draw....I'm sure it would be the first person with cash in their hand. I know there's been some talk about central agencies administering access for RAMP as well but I can't see that being financially viable for either party.

I think you may be a bit confused as to what USO actually does. Non residents are permitted to put in for draws in the U.S. right alongside residents and all USO does is handle that draw application for you and make sure you draw in a good area. There is no requirement to use them as an outfitter if you draw and as these are public areas, there's no need to hire any outfitter or get any access to private property. This is definitely not paid hunting....you are just paying for their knowledge and expertise.
You're right Tj, I was a little confused about their draw process. DOes this mean that Non-residents are drawing from the same tags/draws as residents of those states?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
You're right Tj, I was a little confused about their draw process. DOes this mean that Non-residents are drawing from the same tags/draws as residents of those states?
Basically, yes. Sometimes the non resident draw pool maybe smaller than the resident draw pool but other than that they are the same tags.