Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-01-2008, 12:36 AM

Default Finally, my sausage has arrived!!!

Finally after months of agonizing waiting, I got the call I was hoping for...my sausage and pepperoni were ready. I picked them up yesturday and I ended up with 60 packs of honey garlic pepperoni and 45 rings of sausage. The place I have been taking my deer to always takes this long (or longer) to get it back...I know a lot of my friends get theirs back lot quicker. How long does your guys butchers usually take for processing and vaccum packing? It tastes really good too, but if I had gotten it back sooner it probably would be all gone by now! Thanks, Chris K
Old 03-01-2008, 01:40 AM
Hoochie Papa

Well, why don't you get in your little truck and drive some on over here!!

I'm not that far away. I got a rumbly in my tumbly now.

Joe
Old 03-01-2008, 06:54 AM

I usually process all the game me and my pards harvest but last season was an exception.We harvested 6 deer in 3 days in september and that was too much for me to take on all at once.We took them to a shop and had them butchered and sausage and jerky made.It was a little less than 2 weeks and they were done.The quality of work was outstanding,all the meat was boned and no blood shot in it,the smoked sausage and jerky are wondeful.

The butcher was quite happy with the condition of our animals,we go to great pains to take care of our game in the field.After skinning we wash and dry them making sure to get all the loose hair off and trim off as much shot damage as we can and place them in game bags.Some of the game that was hanging in the cooler at the shop was disgusting.One elk in particular was covered in loose hair,dried crusty blood and dirt,leaves and grass.The butcher told me he won't clean the loose hair,he's too busy and would have refused that animal normally.

I also remembered why I learned to cut my own game,it was expensive!! My two deer cost $411.00 to proccess.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:05 AM

Default 2 days

our 2 doe antelope in 2005 only took 2 days at the place in innisfail.......and also the elk sausage was back to us in about a week if i remember correctly.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I also remembered why I learned to cut my own game,it was expensive!! My two deer cost $411.00 to proccess.
It's getting to the point where it's outrages. You could almost buy a half of beef for that price.

I usually butcher my own but can remember waiting 4-5 weeks to get sausage back.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 AM

When I phoned around to get some sausage made I was amazed by how many animals the different shops had hanging. I had mine cut up so they were able to process it quicker. It doesn't take very long to boneout a deer, longer of course for a larger animal but it does give an excuse to get together again with the hunting buddies so I'm curious why more people don't boneout their animals before taking them in. It wouuld certainly cut down on the wait time and of course the cost.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:51 AM

I'll do it all myself.
Haven't had time to get into the sausage making yet from last season though.

In seasons when I couldn't find the time I usually went to KK in Edmonton 76 Ave and 96 St. They usually turned things over in a week for sausage and it's good and exact;y what I ordered.

Now I tend to make a lot of different sausage and smaller batches. Planning some experiments with new recipes this year.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:57 AM

Default sausage

We normally do our own but took one deer in this fall. whole carcas and by far the biggest exspence was the deboning, They charged $1.25 a lb and the same to make the sausage which was excellent
Old 03-01-2008, 01:31 PM

think my last deer cut wrap with a batch of sausage was $125 and under 2 weeks during rifle season. ive even gotten a elk back cut wrap, 2 batch sausage in under 2 weeks.

best sausage i ever had too, no hair on meat, really knows his stuff
Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM

Definitely if you don't process your own like some guy's here have said,bone it out.
I got to the point i refused to take mine in for processing because of cost. With some research in books, friends,and a video on processing i dont even consider taking my meat in. This year i bought my spices at "the Mad Butcher" in Innisfail and my casings for sausage.My big roasts get turned into Jerky and the backstraps into steak's.
I remember getting two full boxes of pepperoni the last time from the processer in Red Deer but believe me you get tired of pepperoni before you get to the bottom of the box.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:37 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
Finally after months of agonizing waiting, I got the call I was hoping for...my sausage and pepperoni were ready. I picked them up yesturday and I ended up with 60 packs of honey garlic pepperoni and 45 rings of sausage. The place I have been taking my deer to always takes this long (or longer) to get it back...I know a lot of my friends get theirs back lot quicker. How long does your guys butchers usually take for processing and vaccum packing? It tastes really good too, but if I had gotten it back sooner it probably would be all gone by now! Thanks, Chris K

Just got our peperoni, jerky and garlic sausage back from Back Country in Cowley....I think it took a couple weeks. Without question the best peperoni I've tasted!