Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-28-2008, 12:05 PM

Default Youths with Crossbow in Archery Season?

Hi all,

My daughter just turned 12 so she can hunt this year. Yahoo!!! To start getting her ready I was out with her the other day, taking advantage of the nice weather and shooting our bows. Hers is a Mathews Genesis. After a bit of shooting I cranked it up to the maximum poundage (20lbs+) and had her shoot it to see how she did. She struggled a bit at first but then settled in okay after that. However, it is a long way from 20lbs to a legal 40lb bow so I don't know if she will get there this year.

So I got to thinking, why not have her hunt with a crossbow? Of course, it is illegal to use a crossbow during archery only seasons (which I realize is a contentious issue), however what would be wrong with allowing at least youths, 12 - 16 or 18 years old, to hunt with crossbows during archery season? The main benefit is time available to hunt for the youths. They get home from school, do their homework, and then head off to the stand with dad. Great exposure to hunting opportunites during the warmer weather, more hours available during the months of Sept to end of Oct and they don't have to use up all of their weekends, which are often booked for other activities (team sports etc). In most areas the alternative is to wait for November, rush to a stand after school if dad can get off work early (postpone homework?), sit in a cold stand, work around team sports on Saturdays etc. All of these barriers limits their exposure, opportunities and growth in an activity that is good for them and strenghtens family bonds.

Now, I recognize that there are concerns and arguments both ways about allowing crossbows into archery seasons and there is another long term thread about those issues already going. I don't really want to rehash all that here. I would however like to like to hear if others would or wouldn't support a proposal to SRD (via AFGA) to allow this season to take place for our youths?

Thanks, have a good day,

Straight Arrow
Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Gone Hunting

You would have my support.

keep a strain on er.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:55 PM

Sorry...
Old 02-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned

Good luck with that one Straight.....

You know, I think we should forget about these different seasons.. perhaps just wipe out the bow season and be done with it. The bow guys don't seem to want to share, so lets just make it easy. Everything allowed at all times
Then lets dismantle the Bow Zones in the province a bit. Lets say X-Bows, Bows , Shotguns and Muzzle loaders allowed. (Safety reasons)

Jamie
Old 02-28-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Then lets dismantle the Bow Zones in the province a bit. Lets say X-Bows, Bows , Shotguns and Muzzle loaders allowed. (Safety reasons)
I know this has been beat to death on here, but I am still in full support of a seperate archery season. I still don't think Crossbows should be allowed other than special circumstances... example: I don't think that people should be excluded from a season based on their physical ability.

To me, the arguement that allowing any weapon in any season is good for hunting overall doesn't fly either.

Chet
Old 02-28-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

You know, I think we should forget about these different seasons.. perhaps just wipe out the bow season and be done with it. The bow guys don't seem to want to share, so lets just make it easy. Everything allowed at all times

Jamie
x 2 Just one longer season for everyone, regardless of weapon.
If that doesn't work, then I want an extended "Centerfire shoot with one hand tied behind your back" season. How about a "Centirefire but only iron sights" season?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:56 PM

More hunting that's what I'm talking about open it up and let's do er.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Gone Hunting

I think hes talking about early season, youths, and creating abit more, or better opportunity for them. I would have to agree, its a tough one, and we really dont need more regulation imposed on us, buy i can see what hes getting at. I dont see any issues with it that would impede my ability to enjoy the outdoors during any vertical bow early season hunt in Alberta, so i say giver. It would be a tough one to get done, but im not gonna stand in your way.

keep a strain on er.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:28 PM

neither am I. Youth is our future.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:40 PM

Straight Arrow.....it's good to know that you are thinking about ways to get involved with your family......especially with hunting. I like that. However, we can't go knee-jerking our way through life (and I'm not directing this at you personally). I just knew that some people would start to get all mealy-mouthy over this. That's why I didn't offer an explanation at the start. How about anybody who is physically incapable of drawing a bow? It would be selfish to include only youth................see what I mean? My wife can't draw a hunting bow..........she isn't strong enough. You know what? Everybody can't do everything. We are NOT equal in the physical attributes area. We have to get over that. Now watch the emotion pour out lol.

Quote:

If I can't get my way.....I'm going to take my game and go home.....

Last edited by CNP; 02-28-2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-28-2008, 07:49 PM

I think that this is an excellent idea....getting kids exposed to, and out hunting earlier is great from all points of view IMO. AND as these kids mature, they will naturally gravitate to a vertical bow....just as older hunters have to give them up due to phisical limitations caused by age. Maybe you should get with HFT(Hunting for Tommorrow...Kelly Semple) on this. We need to pass on our hunting heritage to the next generation any way we can....before we lose it.
If I can help with some lessons, feel free to ask.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

Jamie
oooorrrrr.......you could just go buy a bow and learn to shoot it if you want to hunt deer more than one month a year. That's what I did. Just a thought.

BTW I think allowing kids, or anyone for that matter, to use a crossbow in archery season would be just fine.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned

Easy now Dave.. I am one of the "Bow" guys.. Or at least I was. I still have all the equipment.. Just not the time.
My compassion for those that want to shoot X-bows is not a selfish thing. If I cant find the time to go with a bow, I will not find the time for a X-Bow.
I just think its WRONG they are not included in the Bow season.
Especially in the Bow zones.

Its all silly. Here we are with one selfish group opposing X-Bows and all they are doing is hurting others who want to compete on a level playing field.. Could someone PLEASE explain why X-Bows will hurt our sport?

It was the Bow guys who campaigned for this special season.. What the heck makes them so special that they get there own season? I see a added benefit to designated seasons, but they should include all like minded weapons.

Jamie
Old 02-28-2008, 08:46 PM

I guess we agree then LOL. When you said "Everything allowed at all times" I took that to include rifles as well as bows. I don't think an open rifle season in "bow" season would be conducive to good archery hunting, whether with a vertical or a cross bow.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Banned

Dave.. I guess I was just showing the other side of the coin.
Honestly, I could see that happening. These Bow Guys need to open up on some ideas, or its going to be rammed through.

Jamie
Old 02-28-2008, 09:22 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
The main benefit is time available to hunt for the youths. They get home from school, do their homework, and then head off to the stand with dad. Great exposure to hunting opportunites during the warmer weather, more hours available during the months of Sept to end of Oct and they don't have to use up all of their weekends, which are often booked for other activities (team sports etc).
I don't buy the argument about having to use weekends that are booked for other activities for hunting.It's all about choices,if they want to use their spare time for hunting,then go hunting,if they prefer to spend their spare time on other activities,then they miss some hunting time.I am all for youths hunting,but I believe that if they really want to hunt,there is enough time for then to do so in the regular seasons.If the youths don't like the cold,too bad,it's a part of hunting.

Last edited by stubblejumper; 02-28-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 PM

I wouldn't mind my kids being able to hunt with a x-bow. both of them shoot bows now and love it, they're 10 & 13. The 13 year old is getting close to being able to pull back 40lbs......however not yet. And not to the point where I'd let him try a shot at an animal. Not ethically anyways. Both my boys are runts. You see I only get them every 2nd weekend, now that only 2 weekends in Nov. So this would give me a whole bunch more weekends to spend with them, teaching them what my father taught me. So yes it would be nice for my kids to hunt with a x-bow. just my 2 cents anyhow.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 PM

If your daughter can only draw 20 pounds then she will have to wait a while to hunt with a bow.

I don't think she would fare to well with a crossbow either. I know you would cock it for her, but she would struggle holding it at her shoulder steady if she has trouble with a 20 lb. bow. Has she ever shouldered one, even at a sporting goods store?

Don't rush it for her.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
You see I only get them every 2nd weekend, now that only 2 weekends in Nov. So this would give me a whole bunch more weekends to spend with them, teaching them what my father taught me. So yes it would be nice for my kids to hunt with a x-bow. just my 2 cents anyhow.
They could accompany you,and learn about hunting without actually killing an animal themselves.I accompanied my father since about age six,and then started actually hunting at age 12.I badly wanted to go hunting,so I gave up other activities and put up with the cold to go hunting with my father.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:25 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
If your daughter can only draw 20 pounds then she will have to wait a while to hunt with a bow.

I don't think she would fare to well with a crossbow either. I know you would cock it for her, but she would struggle holding it at her shoulder steady if she has trouble with a 20 lb. bow. Has she ever shouldered one, even at a sporting goods store?

Don't rush it for her.
I'd have to agree that for the most part, crossbows are big, heavy and awkward and not what I'd consider an ideal weapon for a small framed child. They are extremely front heavy and do require a fair amount of strength to hold for any length of time.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:17 AM

give the kids any adv. you can(xbows,early gun season maybe week before regular season opener) get them interested and keep them interested or well lose them and i dont think any of us want that
Old 02-29-2008, 06:31 AM

Default ummm

well this is a good one, i am kinda leaning towards yes i would go for it, but then on the other side of the coin i am leaning towards the fact that he or she will not be able to load it by themselves, it will be exremely dangerous as they are hard to hold up, i know we got them,and the triggers are pretty touchy.and that is why the 40lb rule was put in was so that the shooter is strong enough to not only pull the bow back but for the bow to have enough energy to harverst the animal properly......so if we have a rule or law in place for the compound and the young fella cant pull it back i dont think we shoudl be pulling back the crossbow for them if they have the chance to shoot something.......althoguht if they did allow it it woudl free up some more oppertuitys to harvest animals for my kids when they get 12. so im kinda torn on this one.
but in theend i think i woudl lean against not rushing into it either and wait.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:37 AM
christensen

Default Yes all for it .

If it would help to get the young out in the outdoors and away form the tv,playstation, wii ,etc bowhunters need to suck it up and accept Change its not all about them .
Old 02-29-2008, 06:51 AM

There is no need to rush kids into anything.
Crossbows are just that - cross bows.
I have no problem with the law the way it is, ( although I have coresponded with three different archers who are severly hanidcapped and use conventional bows, all sticks)

However, if a youngster wants to hunt, they can either pull a legal bow or wait till they can handle a fierarm . That is my opinion on it.

Changing the law to accomaate every aspect of whatever is simply diluting the hunting seasons, and I have always been in favour of scrapping the whole danged thing and running with one season.

Shoot what you want, but be passionate about WHAT you hunt with, not because it gives you and "extra season"
Cat
Old 02-29-2008, 07:31 AM
christensen

Quote:
There is no need to rush kids into anything.
Crossbows are just that - cross bows.
a gun is just that a gun,a bow is just that a bow etc.

Quote:
However, if a youngster wants to hunt, they can either pull a legal bow or wait till they can handle a fierarm . That is my opinion on it.
If a youngster wants to hunt he or she can also use a x-bow .

Quote:
Changing the law to accomaate every aspect of whatever is simply diluting the hunting seasons, and I have always been in favour of scrapping the whole danged thing and running with one season.
Thats right we should make a one season for all life is about changes and this shouldnt make a deference,if anything we can only learn from the past "not live in it."
Old 02-29-2008, 08:42 AM

why not keep the bow season opener sept 1, cross bows oct. 1, and rifle season nov. 1. that way the archers still have a month to themselvs... just a thought.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post

Don't rush it for her.
When I teach the 'Crossbow Basics " course at Alford Lake, I get lots of small-framed youngsters who have trouble at first, but quickly adapt to the new tool and have a blast. As for loading the horizontal bow, from a parental point of view,(I have 4 kids) this is great from a safety perspective because the child has only 1 shot. You do not have to worry about them reloading and getting into trouble....and the child is more careful, because they know they only have 1 'kick at the cat'. Bottom line,....expose them however you can, before the liberal school system indoctrinates them into some 'treehugger' mentality. Then we all lose.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:00 PM

You might have an idea here... long-term it may kick open the bow season for X-bows. You start a bunch of kids on crossbows and let them hunt during the bow season, and then when they hit 18 you tell them they can't do it anymore? That might create some interesting pressure.

Also, for those who argue that the characteristics of a X-bow make it unfair/unsuitable/whatever for use during bow season... aren't those attributes the same whether a 16 year old is holding it or a 40 year old? Might as well let kids use rifles during bow season if the main intent is encouraging participation in hunting.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Might as well let kids use rifles during bow season if the main intent is encouraging participation in hunting.
I don't get where you are coming from here.....I thought the idea was to get kids into the ARCHERY SEASON sooner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktokian View Post
aren't those attributes the same whether a 16 year old is holding it or a 40 year old?
Only if there is a strength or disability issue....get people in (hunting) sooner, and retain them longer.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:50 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Only if there is a strength or disability issue....get people in (hunting) sooner, and retain them longer.
Why not just allow 12 year olds to use a gun like they do in other provinces?