Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-26-2008, 11:13 PM

Default Caribou Hunt on a Budget?

Hey fellas,
i am trying to dream up a way to go on a caribou hunt next year.... NWT im thinking. Does anyone have any exprerience/information on a way to do this without breaking the bank? How difficult would an unguided hunt be? thanks.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Banned

Where can you go without a guide?
Perhaps Alaska? (Not that I know)
What is "Breaking" the bank for you?

Jamie
Old 02-26-2008, 11:34 PM
sheephunter

The only unguided hunts for caribou that I'm aware of in Canada are in Quebec but you must still enlist the services of an outfitter. You can hunt caribou with a resident in both BC and the Yukon so if you have friends there, that's an option but as for the NWT, you are required to use an outfitter and be guided. One thing you may want to do is get on a cancellation list with a few outfitters and if you are able to go on short notice, you can often get hunts at 50% of their value. This may be a good year to look for a bargain as many caribou outfitters still seem to have openings for 2008.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 AM

Go to Newfoundland bring a bottle of screetch and a rifle ...your hunt will be over shortly.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:19 AM

Default Caribou

http://www.advertisenorth.com/biggam...land/index.htm
I have no idea what he charges , here is another link to his new place

http://www.deepcountrylodge.com/
Old 02-27-2008, 11:26 AM

http://www.nloa.ca/
There is a spot where they auction the hunts on this site
Old 02-27-2008, 01:09 PM
guidehunt

check out aurora caribou camp n.w.t. or dan at trophey book archery . dan also used to book for them lots of alberta res ,.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:06 AM

Adventure Northwest
Peterson Point Lake Lodge
Courageous Lake Caribou Camps
Aurora Caribou Camps

IMO the top 4 in the NWT....all are good. PM if you want more info.

All hunts up here must be guided and are usually 2x1 boat hunts. Large lakes are used as highways. Like mentioned earlier you can wait for cancellations or unfilled spots. Last minute possibilities in July are the best as the season opens on Aug 15.

tm
Old 03-01-2008, 09:16 AM

Default yup

you can justify flying to quebec or wherever if flights are going to be in your budget, you can go to yukon or drive to bc and get a great deal on a moutain caribou hunt.. they are the biggest of all caribou body size and usually when you harvest one he will be in the 360 class for sure.
If your willing to leave with hardly any notice alot of outfitters will take a cash deal for you to go on a hunt with them if you contact them close to the dates or even during the season, this is what i do alot of times, once season starts and your able to drive to there pick up point you will save alot of money and still get your dream hunt.......if your a subscriber to the mountain hunter magaxine there is every outiftter in there you could possibly imagine, pick up the phone and phone every one of tem till you find the one that dont have too many client booked and need some extra CASH, not cheque,not money order but tell them you will pay CASH and you will be just fine.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
you can justify flying to quebec or wherever if flights are going to be in your budget, you can go to yukon or drive to bc and get a great deal on a moutain caribou hunt.. they are the biggest of all caribou body size and usually when you harvest one he will be in the 360 class for sure.
If your willing to leave with hardly any notice alot of outfitters will take a cash deal for you to go on a hunt with them if you contact them close to the dates or even during the season, this is what i do alot of times, once season starts and your able to drive to there pick up point you will save alot of money and still get your dream hunt.......if your a subscriber to the mountain hunter magaxine there is every outiftter in there you could possibly imagine, pick up the phone and phone every one of tem till you find the one that dont have too many client booked and need some extra CASH, not cheque,not money order but tell them you will pay CASH and you will be just fine.
I'm looking for a caribou hunt for this fall, but I'd be extremely reluctant to supply tax free income for some outfitter, because if there is any down side or fu** up in this deal, I may find myself and my wad of 20 dollar bills up the creek without a paddle.
Grizz
Old 03-02-2008, 08:53 AM

Default who says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I'm looking for a caribou hunt for this fall, but I'd be extremely reluctant to supply tax free income for some outfitter, because if there is any down side or fu** up in this deal, I may find myself and my wad of 20 dollar bills up the creek without a paddle.

Grizz
nowadays outfitters will give you there all, with the internt and such a bad rap for a outfitter gett spread like wildfire.
unless its wheather or something that he catn control, nowadays usually the hunts are pretty awsome...especially if you pm someone and he refers u to an outfitter. its a caribou hunt not a sheep or moose hunt, you can get some pretty good deals on them.anyways it is what i do and it allows me to do one free hunt over two years on cancellations or spare of the moment hunts,,was just a idea for ya.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:55 PM

There was a post on huntshoot.com from a guy who owns and fly's his own floatplane that was looking for someone with caribou knowledge that wanted to hunt Mountain Caribou in BC. It is now an old post but worth a try and the price is right.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:59 PM

Default last minute hunting website

Keep an eye on this site. You may find a deal to be had closer to fall with cancellations in bookings.
http://www.lastminutehuntingandfishing.com/