Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-13-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
No point at all...just offering a perspective based on facts...isn't that what this board is about? The info is available obviously as all here have it and seem to be making some very informed opinions...why couldn't others around the province do the same???
Agreed. There is indeed a variety of different info here on the board. Again though I would go back to the fact that many people are not internet message board junkies like many of us here. As well many people aren't big users of the internet and as a result may not surf on to the F&G web sites. I think that is why it is important that AFGA and the other F&G clubs in the province find ways to communicate with their membership - web sites, newsletters, e-mail, club meetings etc.. There are many reasons to join and belong to these F&G clubs which are the voices for anglers and hunters in the province - and one of those in my opinion is to keep their membership informed on critical issues - ie Open Spaces, IMHA etc..
Old 02-13-2008, 09:15 PM
SNIPER

The following is what I would have known about open spaces if I didn't have the internet

!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Agreed. There is indeed a variety of different info here on the board. Again though I would go back to the fact that many people are not internet message board junkies like many of us here. As well many people aren't big users of the internet and as a result may not surf on to the F&G web sites. I think that is why it is important that AFGA and the other F&G clubs in the province find ways to communicate with their membership - web sites, newsletters, e-mail, club meetings etc.. There are many reasons to join and belong to these F&G clubs which are the voices for anglers and hunters in the province - and one of those in my opinion is to keep their membership informed on critical issues - ie Open Spaces, IMHA etc..
You hit the nail right on the head Duk and it reitterates the importance of going to regular club meetings and such. That's where this sharing of info really happens!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
You hit the nail right on the head Duk and it reitterates the importance of going to regular club meetings and such. That's where this sharing of info really happens!
The meetings are just one important aspect of it - there is still a need for the web sites, e-mails, newsletters, magazine articles etc.. In this day and age nothing can spread information quicker than e-mail and the internet.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
I hardly think Sheep is trying to get everyone worked up. He's just making a valid point... the information can be found via the net and through places like this.
" No point at all...just offering a perspective based on facts...isn't that what this board is about? The info is available obviously as all here have it and seem to be making some very informed opinions...why couldn't others around the province do the same??? The resolution would be voted on for over a week yet and it would seem to me that this info has been available for a month or more....lots of time to have an informed opinion. "

This brings up an interesting point, take it for what its worth. There was another thread in here asking about articles in AO regarding this pilot project. Nothing until after the election. Wouldn't it have being benificial to all Albertans to run some sort of article about this when the information started to filter out to the general public? That may have gotten the awareness level up and informed people who don't go on the net. This could have been done in such a way as just to inform the readers that there was a program being discussed, and it could have been written from a nuetral position.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 PM
340wtby

Quote:
So are you saying they should put this info together for every resolution.....that could equal hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of pages of documents and hundreds and hundreds of hours of time. Remember, this is only one of a large number of resolutions. I know it's an important issue but so too are all the others to the groups that bring them forward. It would seem to me if the info is readily available on the net or through other sources that it's not a big hardship for those that want more info to gather it up.
It may be only one of of many resolutions but it could change hunting in Alberta as we know it. It seems to me that they should provide the needed info to make an informed decision. Also the AFGA website still says that most of the information that is being circulated is out of date or incomplete, if this is indeed true maybe the AFGA could enlighten the local clubs on to what the "to date" and "complete" info is.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
So are you saying they should put this info together for every resolution.....that could equal hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of pages of documents and hundreds and hundreds of hours of time. Remember, this is only one of a large number of resolutions. I know it's an important issue but so too are all the others to the groups that bring them forward. It would seem to me if the info is readily available on the net or through other sources that it's not a big hardship for those that want more info to gather it up.
In a word yes. As I understand it each resolution is brought forward by a zone, a club or the executive. I am new to all of this stuff but from what you are intimating is any club, zone or the executive can put forth a resolution without having to have documentation to back it up. I understand there will be debate on each resolution but I do believe everyone realizes, or should realize, this is a huge issue and should have more than a couple of hours to go over before we have to make the decision on such a dramatic change to hunting in this province. You yourself have been collecting information for well over a month without forming an opinion, so how can we expect most people at the conference to make a decision in a couple of hours. In my mind each resolution should come with the proper documentation to make an informed decision. Obviously the clubs, zones and the executive have put effort into coming up with it they should also be able to quite easily provide the documentation to supply to each club.

For you to say the information is readily available and is not a big hardship upsets me. To the average person this information is not and was not readily available. I just came from a meeting where if it were not for word of mouth or the information dug up by some dedicated people they would have no idea what is going on. I would never expect people to spend there valuable personal time having to search for information when this should be provided to them by the group they "pay" to be a member of.

Bubba
Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 PM

if this site didn't exist the majority of people, and local game associations wouldn't know about OS, so we should all thank Rob for that. The point is, the AFGA should have been more proactive in getting the word out to the local groups. Most of us are assuming the AFGA is against this, their inactivity and silence is speaking volumes. The fact is sheep, the AFGA has done a pizz poor job at informing and representing it's members. This sitting on the fence is bs. There needs to be some changes in the executive. Just ask the members here how they feel it's been handled. Why should anyone have to do any digging sheep, we pay a membership fee to have them represent us. Which they have not done. There should have been a mailer to all members with a survey, vote yes or no, period. This is by far the most significant issue, so no they shouldn't address every resolution the same. This is completely different and you know it. If you weren't involved with them you'd be raisin hell too instead of trying to defend them. The members are speaking loud and clear, we need the AFGA to step up...
Old 02-13-2008, 09:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw'd View Post
" No point at all...just offering a perspective based on facts...isn't that what this board is about? The info is available obviously as all here have it and seem to be making some very informed opinions...why couldn't others around the province do the same??? The resolution would be voted on for over a week yet and it would seem to me that this info has been available for a month or more....lots of time to have an informed opinion. "

This brings up an interesting point, take it for what its worth. There was another thread in here asking about articles in AO regarding this pilot project. Nothing until after the election. Wouldn't it have being benificial to all Albertans to run some sort of article about this when the information started to filter out to the general public? That may have gotten the awareness level up and informed people who don't go on the net. This could have been done in such a way as just to inform the readers that there was a program being discussed, and it could have been written from a nuetral position.
Pretty sure Neil Waugh is doing a piece on it which will be out long before the election. You need to appreciate that writers need to have articles to a magazine at least 30 days before publication and some I work for are as much as 90 days. It takes time to edit, layout and print. I think Rob has been right on top of this within his time constraints obviously.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
Pretty sure Neil Waugh is doing a piece on it which will be out long before the election. You need to appreciate that writers need to have articles to a magazine at least 30 days before publication and some I work for are as much as 90 days. It takes time to edit, layout and print. I think Rob has been right on top of this within his time constraints obviously.
When does the next issue come out? I look forward to reading it.

Bubba
Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 PM
340wtby

Quote:
The election is March 3rd, I wouldn't consider March 1 long before the 3rd.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:00 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasno1 View Post
When does the next issue come out? I look forward to reading it.

Bubba
I'm sure Rob can give you an exact date but I'm guessing the last week of February.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340wtby View Post
The election is March 3rd, I wouldn't consider March 1 long before the 3rd.
I'm sure it will be out the last week of February. How long does it take you to read 1,500 words? And within the time contraints I'd say it's impressive he is getting anything out.....
Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 PM
340wtby

Not long, I was just pointing out that the 2 days shouldn't be considered a long period of time.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Banned

ENUFFFFF TALK , TIME FER ACTIONNNN ,Haaaaaaa.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 PM
340wtby

Quote:
I'm sure it will be out the last week of February. How long does it take you to read 1,500 words? And within the time contraints I'd say it's impressive he is getting anything out.....
I am glad he is writing about it... I just hope, like Bob Scammel, he sees it for what it is, ...Paid Hunting.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:11 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
I hardly think Sheep is trying to get everyone worked up. He's just making a valid point... the information can be found via the net and through places like this.
This is not a valid point. Where can information be found. UofC website. SRD website not a chance. AFGA website . Documentation distributed to members ? Information is very hard to come by outside of this forum. Trust me I have looked. I would bet that 50% or more of the hunters have no idea what is going on.

Bubba
Old 02-13-2008, 10:19 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
This is not a valid point. Where can information be found. UofC website. SRD website not a chance. AFGA website . Documentation distributed to members ? Information is very hard to come by outside of this forum. Trust me I have looked. I would bet that 50% or more of the hunters have no idea what is going on.

Bubba
So what info has been offered exclusively here that didn't come from UofC or Morton or one of the other countless e-mails that are circulating? I'm curious because obviously I'm not in the loop then either because I haven't seen one fact on here that isn't available elsewhere?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:21 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
So what info has been offered exclusively here that didn't come from UofC or Morton or one of the other countless e-mails that are circulating? I'm curious because obviously I'm not in the loop then either because I haven't seen one fact on here that isn't available elsewhere?
Where can you find the OSA Business Analysis Nov 20_07 document that was present to CPC and approved by cabinet.

Bubba
Old 02-13-2008, 10:22 PM
340wtby

Quote:
bubbasno1 has provided info that is not available from SRD or U of C websites. If you could provide links to the info that he has produced I would be very interested in seeing it.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:44 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Where can you find the OSA Business Analysis Nov 20_07 document that was present to CPC and approved by cabinet.

Bubba
Bubba, obviously I'm not as privy to as much info as you are since you've been invited to meetings and I haven't but I'm sure I received the document you reference a half dozen times through the e-mail groups that I referenced above. If you are a concerned sportsmen in this province I'll guarantee you got it in your inbox.

340, I've never looked for a link as I received it so many times in group e-mails that I never saw a need.

Bubba, for no reason in particular but you seem to have become the official/unofficial voice of sportsmen on the working group, I'd just be curious to know who you are and what your background is. No judgement on what you've done and you've sure brought lots of great info to this board but I'm just curious who is representing me.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Administrator

I'd like to know the answer to that question too.. who is representing me and how that came to be? Just curious, considering that many of you think there is a big conspiracy here behind the timing of the next AO, the AFGA convention and the election. Got news for you... the information that is solid, is just now coming to the forefront and yet is changing all the time. Not sure how anybody can put us (AO) ahead of being anything more than just reporters digging for the same information you are.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:02 PM

Duk Dog, thanks for your reply to my question as to how information could be spread. I am sure that AFGA could be a little faster on posting stuff on their website for its provincial members. The website has never been up to the minute on its news. Just wondering if you are going to send head office a email asking them how the inform their membership of things like OSA, and resolutions. I would be interested to hear the answer they give you.
As far as the local clubs spreading news I think that is something that needs to be discussed with its executive and members. I know our club keeps it membership informed of current issues. We have monthly meetings were these things are discussed. The executive provides any info they can to the members and it is discussed from there. After the meeting there is also a mail and email out of the minutes of the meeting including a monthly newsletter for all members. So technically speaking, all of your members should be informed of all current issues.
I know its the job of the club's executive to bring forward the current issues to members. I am on the executive for our club. Lots of the information that I bring to the meeting is not from the AFGA. I get my info from the Alberta Outdoorsmen Magazine, SRD Website, AFGA Website, AFGA zone chair, Alberta Outdoorsmen website, newspapers, and even contact my local F&W office to see what's new.
The information is out there, you just need to find it. Yes if it weren't for the internet many of us would be in the dark.

Just wondering if the AFGA didn't advertise this issue in any of the newspapers, did you our your local club advertise to make the public informed of what is going on?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-13-2008, 11:17 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
Bubba, obviously I'm not as privy to as much info as you are since you've been invited to meetings and I haven't but I'm sure I received the document you reference a half dozen times through the e-mail groups that I referenced above. If you are a concerned sportsmen in this province I'll guarantee you got it in your inbox.

Bubba, for no reason in particular but you seem to have become the official/unofficial voice of sportsmen on the working group, I'd just be curious to know who you are and what your background is. No judgement on what you've done and you've sure brought lots of great info to this board but I'm just curious who is representing me.
Really, I asked my dad who is a very concerned sportsman and a landowner in 300 and he has not got this in his inbox. I will have to ask some other people I know who are directly affected by this if they have recieved it.

Firstly I have said this before. I am not on the working group. I am not trying to negotiate open spaces. My goal is to make open spaces disapear.

Secondly I am sure my background is not nearly as others on this board but here you go. I have lived in 300 or 108 my entire life. I have fished/hunted my entire life in these two zones. I own a somewhat successfull business in Lethbrige. I coach Grade 8 basketball. I am on the board of Pheasants Forever, by the way our banquet is March 7 for anyone that would like to attend. I love to hike/hunt/fish with my family and friends. I am 6'4" 280 pounds +- a few. My wife says I am one handsome devil.

Anything else you would like to know.

Bubba
Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Duk Dog, thanks for your reply to my question as to how information could be spread. I am sure that AFGA could be a little faster on posting stuff on their website for its provincial members. The website has never been up to the minute on its news. Just wondering if you are going to send head office a email asking them how the inform their membership of things like OSA, and resolutions. I would be interested to hear the answer they give you.
As far as the local clubs spreading news I think that is something that needs to be discussed with its executive and members. I know our club keeps it membership informed of current issues. We have monthly meetings were these things are discussed. The executive provides any info they can to the members and it is discussed from there. After the meeting there is also a mail and email out of the minutes of the meeting including a monthly newsletter for all members. So technically speaking, all of your members should be informed of all current issues.
I know its the job of the club's executive to bring forward the current issues to members. I am on the executive for our club. Lots of the information that I bring to the meeting is not from the AFGA. I get my info from the Alberta Outdoorsmen Magazine, SRD Website, AFGA Website, AFGA zone chair, Alberta Outdoorsmen website, newspapers, and even contact my local F&W office to see what's new.
The information is out there, you just need to find it. Yes if it weren't for the internet many of us would be in the dark.

Just wondering if the AFGA didn't advertise this issue in any of the newspapers, did you our your local club advertise to make the public informed of what is going on?

Not sure if your bottom comment was a general question or directed at me? I am not aware of any advertising in the newspaper regarding this issue.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:27 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Really, I asked my dad who is a very concerned sportsman and a landowner in 300 and he has not got this in his inbox. I will have to ask some other people I know who are directly affected by this if they have recieved it.

Firstly I have said this before. I am not on the working group. I am not trying to negotiate open spaces. My goal is to make open spaces disapear.

Secondly I am sure my background is not nearly as others on this board but here you go. I have lived in 300 or 108 my entire life. I have fished/hunted my entire life in these two zones. I own a somewhat successfull business in Lethbrige. I coach Grade 8 basketball. I am on the board of Pheasants Forever, by the way our banquet is March 7 for anyone that would like to attend. I love to hike/hunt/fish with my family and friends. I am 6'4" 280 pounds +- a few. My wife says I am one handsome devil.

Anything else you would like to know.

Bubba

But I'm sure you brought your Dad up to speed just as other have on here with those they know. Just curious what your name is?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Not sure if your bottom comment was a general question or directed at me? I am not aware of any advertising in the newspaper regarding this issue.
Nope just a general question. Earlier in this discussion a few people mentioned that the AFGA could have advertised the issue in some newspapers.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-13-2008, 11:30 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
I'd like to know the answer to that question too.. who is representing me and how that came to be? Just curious, considering that many of you think there is a big conspiracy here behind the timing of the next AO, the AFGA convention and the election. Got news for you... the information that is solid, is just now coming to the forefront and yet is changing all the time. Not sure how anybody can put us (AO) ahead of being anything more than just reporters digging for the same information you are.
What question would you like to know? When did I ever say I was representing anyone? I have provided information that I have gathered and stated my opinion and analysis of this information. I will keep doing this to the best of my ability as I think it is important to all sportsmen. If I happen to be in on the next meeting I will post everything that I find out on this forum. Why are you so up in arms all that I aked is when the next issue of AO was coming out so I could read it.

Rob, Are you saying the document I posted that was approved by CPC and cabinet that cam out in early December is not the current document?

Bubba
Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
But I'm sure you brought your Dad up to speed just as other have on here with those they know. Just curious what your name is?
Yes I have brought my dad up to speed but your exact comment was " If you are a concerned sportsmen in this province I'll guarantee you got it in your inbox." That is some guarantee.

My name to my friends is Bubba so you may call me Bubba.

Oh I forgot one thing I am a member of Alberta Resident Hunters for Justice.

Sheephunter my turn.

Do you have enough information to from an opinion yet?

Bubba
Old 02-13-2008, 11:37 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Yes I have brought my dad up to speed but your exact comment was " If you are a concerned sportsmen in this province I'll guarantee you got it in your inbox." That is some guarantee.

My name to my friends is Bubba so you may call me Bubba.

Oh I forgot one thing I am a member of Alberta Resident Hunters for Justice.

Sheephunter my turn.

Do you have enough information to from an opinion yet?

Bubba
What the he11 is Alberta Resident Hunters for Justice.

Glad you consider me a friend but I'd still be more comfortable calling you by your real name rather than some internet handle.