Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-13-2008, 04:01 PM
sheephunter

That shows some real iniative on your club's part that's great to hear that the info was out there...I'm sure other clubs were able to do the same and make an informed decision as well. With the number of resolutions on the table each year I'm sure clubs must gather up a lot of info on a wide variety of topics to be well informed.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:01 PM

So what are the suggestions we all have to make more of the hunting community informed on issues like this?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner

Last edited by Rockymtnx; 02-13-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:04 PM
340wtby

That is great... But there should have been info available through the AFGA seeing as there was an employee involved in the whole process.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340wtby View Post
That is great... But there should have been info available through the AFGA seeing as there was an employee involved in the whole process.
I could be wrong, but was this AFGA employee not under agreement to keep the whole thing quiet till the entire proposal was released?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 02-13-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
So what are the suggestions do we all have to make more of the hunting community informed on issues like this?
Join the AFGA, why should they spend money and time on non-members?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:11 PM
340wtby

Quote:
So what are the suggestions do we all have to make more of the hunting community informed on issues like this?
Ya think.... OSA has been described by many as the biggest issue to face Albertas outdoorsmen. Perhaps issues this big deserve a little more attention then hunting with a handgun.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Ya think.... OSA has been described by many as the biggest issue to face Albertas outdoorsmen. Perhaps issues this big deserve a little more attention then hunting with a handgun.
Yes this has been and maybe the biggest issue to face Alberta Outdoorsmen.
Any suggestions on how to better inform the hunting community?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 02-13-2008, 04:28 PM
340wtby

Just a thought, but maybe they could inform members on what is going on. For an organization that is suppose to represent albertas outdoorsmen perhaps signing a secrecy disclosure was a bad idea.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Just a thought, but maybe they could inform members on what is going on. For an organization that is suppose to represent albertas outdoorsmen perhaps signing a secrecy disclosure was a bad idea.
I don't disagree that informing your members is important. That is the idea of a working organization.
Ok I am going to ask this for a third time.
How do you suggest them informing their membership? How could have they informed differently than they did?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 02-13-2008, 05:13 PM
340wtby

Obviously AFGA knew that something of the sort was going on way before Jan 12th 2008. I think they should have informed everyone as soon as they were asked to take part. The signing of the disclosure was a very bad idea in my opinion, the employee who represented the AFGA could have been keeping the members in the loop of what was going on. I do not blame the employee, it is his job to do what he is told by his superiors. It is very disapointing that Albertans are being railroaded by something that I believe will not benefit us at all.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:15 PM

AFGA releases numerous position papers and new releases maybe something similar should have been done with open spaces. If you look at the times and dates of previous papers and news releases it is obvious they don't always wait until after the AGM to do so.

Why not get what information is known together and at least post it on thier website similar to what was done with IMHA, Bison Grazing, and increased attacks on CWD. These issues were discussed by the executive prior to the AGM why not open spaces?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:27 PM
SNIPER

Why not use the media? I am guessing at 8-10 major newspapers in Alberta. 2 that almost everyone reads. Calgary Sun and Edmonton Sun. Even if they put a blurb in these 2 papers it would have reached most Albertans. Yes, it cost money, but what is it worth?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
How are the votes that come out of resolutions not the will of the majority? It is delegates voting the will of their club that decides on resolutions and all clubs are represented.
I guess what I wasnt sure about or concerned about was how the delegates of the club decide what the majority wants on a new issue? I guess thats the reason they are delegates, is to just decide on what the majority wants, but it seems there could be better discussions with members of the group for issues such as this, MHA, etc...
Old 02-13-2008, 05:29 PM

RESOLUTION G-2-2006
BE IT RESOLVED THAT no more public lands be sold, due to increasing public demand for
recreational opportunities

Another negative resolution. And no there is nothing in the AFGA bylaws that I can find indicating resolutions must be worded in the affirmative. So someone must have wanted it worded that way in my opinion.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:31 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I guess what I wasnt sure about or concerned about was how the delegates of the club decide what the majority wants on a new issue? I guess thats the reason they are delegates, is to just decide on what the majority wants, but it seems there could be better discussions with members of the group for issues such as this, MHA, etc...
I think most clubs do discuss the resolutions at a meeting prior to conference and then instruct their delegates to vote accordingly.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I think most clubs do discuss the resolutions at a meeting prior to conference and then instruct their delegates to vote accordingly.
Makes sense...I'd like to think there would be a bit better communication about meetings, etc. Seems the communication always comes too late. Either way, gives a guy a good reason to join a committee and become a part of the solution rather than sit on the sidelines...
Old 02-13-2008, 05:41 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
How do you suggest them informing their membership?
It has already been mentioned but they do have a wesite do they not. Pick any of the following, email, newsletter, inform zone directors, inform club presidents, press release. Those are a few off of the top of my head.

How could have they informed differently than they did?

Firstly they could have actually informed there members. If it was not for this coming out in public would it have been on the resolution list at the AGM? Seems to me everyone involved wanted to keep this quite.

Bubba
Old 02-13-2008, 05:47 PM
jrs

You guys do have to consider lots of people do support this initiative. If you're knocking on 15-20 doors for every yes you get it can be very frustrating. Some landowners only allowing doe harvest or access for one or two days can also just add to the problems. Just thought I'd point that their is support, not just opposition.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I think they should have informed everyone as soon as they were asked to take part. The signing of the disclosure was a very bad idea in my opinion,
I am just glad that someone representing the AFGA was invited to the table.
Remember the original IMHA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
gives a guy a good reason to join a committee and become a part of the solution rather than sit on the sidelines...
You couldn't have said it any better.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 02-13-2008, 05:56 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
This is great. I would also think this is what should happen. Now the next question is what information was given to the clubs so they could make an informed decision on the resolutions. OSA was so secretive was there even enough information for the majority of clubs to discuss the pro's and con's.

Bubba
Old 02-13-2008, 05:57 PM
340wtby

Not being able to provide any information isn't very good representation, in my opinion.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:16 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasno1 View Post
This is great. I would also think this is what should happen. Now the next question is what information was given to the clubs so they could make an informed decision on the resolutions. OSA was so secretive was there even enough information for the majority of clubs to discuss the pro's and con's.

Bubba
Considering most of these meetings would have taken place in the past few weeks I'm guessing there was loads of info available...at least as much as everyone has here.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:31 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
Considering most of these meetings would have taken place in the past few weeks I'm guessing there was loads of info available...at least as much as everyone has here.
I agree there should have been loads of information available. The question is was this information provided by AFGA or was it provided by the members.

What I am getting at is this would have been a way to inform the membership. If they new this was going to be one of the resolutions they could have put an information package together to distribute for these meetings instead of relying on the membership to go and find the information.

Bubba
Old 02-13-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree that informing your members is important. That is the idea of a working organization.
Ok I am going to ask this for a third time.
How do you suggest them informing their membership? How could have they informed differently than they did?
I'll take a crack at your question.

Route # 1: AFGA currently passes info on to the local F&G clubs to distribute to their membership. There are a number of avenues for the local F&G clubs to get the word out, and they should try as many of them as possible. (ie a mailer (would likely be too expensive), e-mail to the membership, at the F&G regular meetings, on their web sites) I can't speak for all the F&G clubs but better and quicker communication is something many of them should being looking at improving.
Again from my personal experience with the 2 F&G clubs I belong to I have never received one piece of info on OS. In my discussions with them much of the info myself and other members passed on to the executive back when OS first came to light on the AO board was the first they had seen of it.
As for the resolutions one of the two clubs I belong to discussed them at a meeting last night which I was not able to attend. The other club has since e-mailed them to me.
A complaint from both F&G clubs is that both of them tend to receive the resolutions very close to the AGM, with little time to spare to do much with them. Perhaps an area to improve on would be AFGA getting the resolutions to the clubs further in advance prior to the AGM.

Route # 2: In additon to sending the info to the F&G clubs AFGA should also get that info out there - in a timely fashion. (because some people are only direct AFGA members) They can use their web site, e-mail the membership, and include it in the Outdoor Edge magazine. The nature of magazine publications is often the info gets out too little too late. Therefore I think their best method to share the info is a combo of e-mail and their web site.
Again my personal experience with the AFGA is I have never received anything in the form of a mass membership e-mail on OS. I did receive their statement (which is also now on their web site), but that was as a result of my direct communication with AFGA. It seems that their OS statement only hit their web site after they got bombarded by calls and e-mails. One sentence in their statement reads "4) ASRD will hold meetings in communities near the areas where the proposed pilot is to take place;". It would be nice if and when these meetings are known that AFGA uses these communication channels we are discussing to inform their membership - in a timely fashion.I appreciate it may have been difficult for AFGA to share OS information due to a confidentiality agreement that those negotiating had to abide by. To get around this rather than sending out direct info they could have had a brief little e-mail to the membership complete with a link to the U of C web site. That on its own would have assisted in getting the word out there.
As for the resolutions if I were only a direct AFGA member, and not a member of a local F&G club, I would have seen zero info on the resolutions. Again that info could be shared with AFGA members by e-mail and also on the web page. I know that they will be presented and voted on at the AGM, but not all AFGA members are able to, or will attend the conference.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 02-13-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
I will look into it with the local F&G clubs I belong to and find out.

I guess then I will redirect my question for people that might just be a direct member of the AFGA, and not a member of a local F&G club. How does the AFGA inform their direct membership of the resolutions up for vote? And do it in advance of the AGM to allow for feedback (consensus) from their membership?
Does anyone know the answer to my above question? I know it is presented at the AGM for discussion and a vote, but do they get the resolutions out to the direct AFGA membership in any other fashion in advance of the AGM? As a direct member I don't believe I have ever received them.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 02-13-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:52 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasno1 View Post
I agree there should have been loads of information available. The question is was this information provided by AFGA or was it provided by the members.

What I am getting at is this would have been a way to inform the membership. If they new this was going to be one of the resolutions they could have put an information package together to distribute for these meetings instead of relying on the membership to go and find the information.

Bubba

So are you saying they should put this info together for every resolution.....that could equal hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of pages of documents and hundreds and hundreds of hours of time. Remember, this is only one of a large number of resolutions. I know it's an important issue but so too are all the others to the groups that bring them forward. It would seem to me if the info is readily available on the net or through other sources that it's not a big hardship for those that want more info to gather it up.

Last edited by sheephunter; 02-13-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=MathewsArcher;112007]AFGA releases numerous position papers and new releases maybe something similar should have been done with open spaces. If you look at the times and dates of previous papers and news releases it is obvious they don't always wait until after the AGM to do so.

Yeah, maybe..........
Something like this, a proposal to override the Wildlife Act, probably bigger than most things they report on..
Old 02-13-2008, 08:18 PM

Default bigger then all

Why would you say this:
Quote:
So are you saying they should put this info together for every resolution.....that could equal hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of pages of documents and hundreds and hundreds of hours of time. Remember, this is only one of a large number of resolutions. I know it's an important issue but so too are all the others to the groups that bring them forward. It would seem to me if the info is readily available on the net or through other sources that it's not a big hardship for those that want more info to gather it up.
This is by far the most important issue. The info was not available. They didn't release it. Hunters dug it up. Are you trying to get everyone worked up? What is your point?

Alberta Resident Hunters for Justice
http://www.arhj.org
Old 02-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Administrator

I hardly think Sheep is trying to get everyone worked up. He's just making a valid point... the information can be found via the net and through places like this.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnCynergy 12 ga View Post
Why would you say this:

This is by far the most important issue. The info was not available. They didn't release it. Hunters dug it up. Are you trying to get everyone worked up? What is your point?
No point at all...just offering a perspective based on facts...isn't that what this board is about? The info is available obviously as all here have it and seem to be making some very informed opinions...why couldn't others around the province do the same??? The resolution would be voted on for over a week yet and it would seem to me that this info has been available for a month or more....lots of time to have an informed opinion.