Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2011, 10:58 PM

Default Cops+Cleaning our Fishery.

the cops pulled me and some friends over for walking on our lake. apperntley it was not safe. we were not doing anything wrong IMO the ice was 3 inches thick with about a half a foot of water under it and then the main layer of ice. we didnt fall though the first layer even jumping on it. on the edges like on the peir and shore for about 2.5-3 feet its no ice to a very small sheet of ice on it. the cops went around about 4-5times. we pulled off the particle baurd off the lake and wood junk
Old 04-21-2011, 11:09 PM

Im sure at this time of the year the officer was more concerned about your safety than the partical board on the ice. You need at least 2" of good solid ice to support one person, you say it was you and some friends on 3 ". This time of year the ice is soft. You should be thankful that there still are some officers who care about your safety and not complain when they do their jobs. Really grow up.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-21-2011, 11:12 PM

they thought we were stealing the stuff at first. there was some town stuff they left. the ice is thick enough to hold a peron we check that first....
Old 04-22-2011, 06:24 AM

It amazes me how many people risk there own lives for a fish or two. Maybe start to think about your friends and family if some thing should of happened. It happens every year. Sometimes common sence isn't so common. How many snow mobilers lost there lives this year? Im sure there friends and families wish they had made better desisions.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 AM
grind stone

It's amazeing How foolish and naive some people are you just never know where that soft spot will be no matter how much of a ice expert you think you are .

Good for the police for being there
Old 04-22-2011, 07:24 AM

when your older youll look back and see they did that because they were concerned for your safety. maybe it was safe? maybe it wasnt. i would want someone looking out for my kids well being if i wasnt around to do it.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 AM

Always easier to tell people to get off the ice than to do a recovery.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:44 AM

I see a trend in the replies.

X2
Old 04-22-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Always easier to tell people to get off the ice than to do a recovery.
yepp...read this. from western sportsman 2008 march/april series.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:31 PM

I looked through the picture and couldn't see anything that would indicate I was wrong in my statement.

The picture of the guy with the fish has a caption of "...early spring..." beside it. This is not early spring. It also says "Last ice can deteriorate quickly, becoming honeycombed and unsafe, even when it's a foot thick."

The ice that is safe to stand on may not be safe 20 or 30 ft. over. Once you fall through, the ice has a tendency to break around you when you try and lift yourself out.

While taking garbage off the ice may be commendable, anything wooden will float and it could also be taken off after the ice melts from around the shoreline.

If you want to go out on the ice, that's your decision. Not much I or anyone on here can do about it.

Last edited by Kokanee9; 04-22-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
I looked through the picture and couldn't see anything that would indicate I was wrong in my statement.

The picture of the guy with the fish has a caption of "...early spring..." beside it. This is not early spring. It also says "Last ice can deteriorate quickly, becoming honeycombed and unsafe, even when it's a foot thick."

The ice that is safe to stand on may not be safe 20 or 30 ft. over. Once you fall through, the ice has a tendency to break around you when you try and lift yourself out.

While taking garbage off the ice may be commendable, anything wooden will float and it could also be taken off after the ice melts from around the shoreline.

If you want to go out on the ice, that's your decision. Not much I or anyone on here can do about it.
nothing wrong about your statement? i was just saying this guy is even more of an ideot then me going out there haha
Old 04-22-2011, 03:16 PM

As a certified Ice Diver, let me say that even with a drysuit and being prepared for the water, it's still darn cold.

It can be easy to slide under the ice, even if it was shallow. If a person was wearing clothes, thier bouyancy would be all messed up from trapped air in clothing. Ice is slippery. Ice with water on it is even more slippery. Tough to get traction to get out of the ice when you need it.

When we're diving, we need several people to haul us out of the hole like a big fat walrus.

While I think it's commendable for the OP to be picking up stuff and looking after the lake, it may not be the best course of action on this spring ice.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
As a certified Ice Diver, let me say that even with a drysuit and being prepared for the water, it's still darn cold.

It can be easy to slide under the ice, even if it was shallow. If a person was wearing clothes, thier bouyancy would be all messed up from trapped air in clothing. Ice is slippery. Ice with water on it is even more slippery. Tough to get traction to get out of the ice when you need it.

When we're diving, we need several people to haul us out of the hole like a big fat walrus.

While I think it's commendable for the OP to be picking up stuff and looking after the lake, it may not be the best course of action on this spring ice.
thanks diver for the tips i will not be doing anythig taht dumb again forawhile lol but we took of our jackets and went out in t shirts so its easer if/when we fall through
Old 04-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
thanks diver for the tips i will not be doing anythig taht dumb again forawhile lol but we took of our jackets and went out in t shirts so its easer if/when we fall through
Yikes,,,, you never want to super cool your vitals, namely your blood vessels.
Years ago on Minnewanka we had boat problems and it was getting choppy as hell, so we slow paddled to shore. I jumped out not 12 feet from shore to make sure the boat didn't slam the rocks, I was in shorts and my legs gave out pretty darn quick, it was quite a fright and it was only waist deep.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:31 PM

yeah i wont do that on minawaka i wont even take a dip in there in summer the water is freezing. sylva was pretty warm that day too
Old 04-22-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
yeah i wont do that on minawaka i wont even take a dip in there in summer the water is freezing. sylva was pretty warm that day too
i bet minniwanka was warmer in the water than sylvan at the two seperate times.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
i bet minniwanka was warmer in the water than sylvan at the two seperate times.
Mini is usually about the same temp year round. Ice diving it's about 3C - 4C, and summer diving is about 5c or 6c. Top few feet might be a bit warmer from solar heating, but she's a cooold lake.

Summer at mini

Winter at mini
Old 04-22-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
nothing wrong about your statement? i was just saying this guy is even more of an ideot then me going out there haha

I misunderstood your reply then.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=Albertadiver;916312]Mini is usually about the same temp year round. Ice diving it's about 3C - 4C, and summer diving is about 5c or 6c. Top few feet might be a bit warmer from solar heating, but she's a cooold lake.

No wonder why the lake trout at Minnewanka stay shallow even in late June!

I must support the statmenet that the water in Minnewanka is freakin cold! I remeber at two jack, where water inflows into the lake from Minnewanka I could barely stand to even walk 3ft across knee deep water to the island.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.