Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Default Spining reel

What is the best reel that about $100 will buy me. I would like to add couple of nice reels to my gear and would like to know what you all think.

I want to use one for walleye rod and the second for pike rod.

Thanks for your input.

LH
Old 04-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

After wearing out a few Pflugers and Shimanos I ordered a Daiwa BG off the internet for about $80. Not nearly as smooth and it doesnt have instant anti-reverse but they''ve been making this reel since the early 70's and it is friggin tough! I wouldnt be surprized if this thing outlasts me, if I wear out anything parts are cheap and easy to find. If you want all the bells and whistles this isnt going to be your cup of tea, if you're like me and you just want a rock solid reel that will handle some hard use for years to come its a good choice.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonH View Post
What is the best reel that about $100 will buy me. I would like to add couple of nice reels to my gear and would like to know what you all think.

I want to use one for walleye rod and the second for pike rod.

Thanks for your input.

LH
I know you've got that $100 range in mind but once you start looking, there's not much in that range believe it or not. There's alot of really good $50 - $80 reels AND $150 - $200+. But the good news is that you might end up saving $50 or more... or spending and extra $100 - $200.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:47 PM

i would go with the pflueger president, runs you about 50-60 and is by far better than all he $150-300 reels i have used.

just picked another one up for a ultralite setup
Old 04-19-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
i would go with the pflueger president, runs you about 50-60 and is by far better than all he $150-300 reels i have used.

just picked another one up for a ultralite setup
i respect your opinion..... I would never trade my energy ptiA's or Shimano Sustains for a bag of pfleugers .....it just goes to show that most of these threads are pointless....everyone likes something different, so unless you try them others opinions dont really matter....its a personal feel
Old 04-19-2011, 10:21 PM

very true chubb, cant go wrong with most brands
Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 PM

I like the Shimano but its mostly because I like the Quickfire II feature for cating all day long.

I did break down this winter and get some new 500 size ice reels and my favorite is the Mitchell Avocet II Gold series. The bail on it is super thick and sturdy. Its low end for your price range but the fishin hole has all sizes for somewhere around $40, can't remember exactly. Drag was smooth and noisy when line out. I like that sound.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:28 AM

Default Pflueger or Shimano

If you are wanting to pay less then 100 dollars go with the pflueger president but if you want to spend 180 definately get the shimano stradic aewsome reel and mine has been dropped and used alot and still works like new.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:09 AM

Just got 2 Okuma Vsystem reels for $79 ea on Ebay. WSS has them for $189. Look around and compare prices , alot of stuff at WSS is CHEAPER than than Ebay or Cabelas. Check their website for reels.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:51 PM

Quantum Accurist pt for 100$ or if you want to spend more get the Quantum Catalyst pt, energy pt, or tour edition pt. those would be my choices.