Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 AM

Default salt water fly line ?

So I'm looking at getting a 9 wt. rod setup mostly for pike but may take it to the coast. While looking on the web I see the ocasional setup with sal****er line. ? is can you use it in freshwater or is it a different density? Will a floating salt line float in freshwater?

Last edited by bobcatguy; 04-19-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: title wrong
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 AM

You just don't want to get a warmwater/tropical line to use in cold water. Tropical lines are very stiff so they remain stiff enough when the temperatures get high
Old 04-19-2011, 12:20 PM

Smile

I have used my regular fly lines to fish with in lakes, river and also in the ocean for salmon. I have also taken them down south many, many times to Cuba and the Caribean to fish for bone fish and baracuda. Don't worry. They will be fine. Sure you can spend the extra doe on a tropical line. But why if you don't have to?

Rob
Old 04-19-2011, 12:27 PM

I just got back from Maui and used my "regular" floating line, no need to get a proprietary tropical line unless you are going to be using it often and at that still not a necessity.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Banned

like King said above and at the end of the day, strip all your line off your reel under warm running water then reel back in through a towel.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:26 PM

I've been using Royal wulff Bermuda Triangle taper and can launch large pike flies a country mile.. also running Sharkskin Magnum and Sharkskin Streamer express 400gr. all great lines for throwing big flies. for the price I would go with the wulff lines. triangle taper kicks arse. have fun! Lots to choose from.
Another line I would like to try is the Rio Outbound short.. supposed to chuck monsters too!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:20 PM

i got that cortland sharkstuff on my bully rod works great but dont get tropical line.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:42 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
like King said above and at the end of the day, strip all your line off your reel under warm running water then reel back in through a towel.
Absolutely do what GM says. In fact when ever I am fishing salt water at the end of the day I take all my rods and reels and put them in the shower and rinse them off. I will put a plug in the tub and submurge them in warm water. I have fished many times in tropical locations and never had a problem with my equipment. Show it a little love and it will return the favor by giving you years of good service.

Rob
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 AM

Default Salt water line

Thanks for the replies fellas. I think I'll just wash the line after salt fishing like was suggested. I'm leaning to reddington's pursuit rod with a large arbor salt reel. Any thoughts on reddington, good ,bad ,OK Thanks again
Old 04-21-2011, 01:23 PM

IMO If your going to spend big bucks to go south you dont want to skimp on one of the most important parts of your setup. When I go I always put tropical lines on. The cold water lines can wilt in the heat and drag through your guides! Thats the last thing you need on that all important first cast to a huge bone or permit! Buy a tropic line! also bring your cold water line along just in case you break the tropic line or lose your whole setup to a hot fish you will want a back up.
If your just going to the coast here in Canada your cold water lines will work just fine rio's Outbound and airflo 40+ lines rocket line, which is good for beach fishing and also good for the pike fishing around here!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 PM

If you are going to fish salmon from offshore I'd recommend a shooting head.
I used 375 grain SA for the Queen Charlottes, I believe the airflo depthfinders are a good unit also, I have one for my 7wt and like it a lot. If you are going out to the Island you should talk to Weigh West in Tofino. They have lots of good info, and some great westcoast patterns.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatguy View Post
Thanks for the replies fellas. I think I'll just wash the line after salt fishing like was suggested. I'm leaning to reddington's pursuit rod with a large arbor salt reel. Any thoughts on reddington, good ,bad ,OK Thanks again
One of my fly rods is a Reddington CPX. I have fished it for about 2 years now. I have caught quite a few fish on it and it has stood up very well. It is a fast action rod that has a good back bone. I love the casting action it gives and the tip is very sensitive. IMHO it is a great rod for the money.

Rob