Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 09:32 AM

Default Wadding Boots

Looking for people's experience with different brands of wading boots. I'm in need of a new pair and I've only ever had one pair, so very limited experience. I need something that can handle rougher terrain, hiking along rivers all through out the trunk road, I cover a lot of ground and spend some long hours out there.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:50 AM

I've got the korker boa system and have been impressed so far. For someone who likes to hike lots you may like the replaceable soles if the rubber wears out. The boa system can sometimes listen up through the day though which can be a slight pain. If you keep an eye on Cabelas bargain caves i have often seen sims freestone and guide boots which I'm sure would be a good fit as well.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:57 AM

A couple of things to consider...

1. Your budget

2. Your feet (length and width)

3. Stream only, out of a boat or hiking (felt vs. rubber)

Pay for quality (if you can afford it)

Simms, Korkers fit wide, Patagonia fit narrower, Hodgson, Redington (don't know the fit)

Korkers have the interchangeable soles which is a great system (but the quality has decreased significantly over the last 5 years or so)

If you are only going to fish one water body (Bow river for example - you can buy felt), if you are going to be fishing multiple water bodies, rubber is a good option - though not as grippy as felt - I would recommend always using studs!!

If you are fishing from a boat (and you don't own that boat, do not wear studs).

They all fit differently so make sure you get your size dialed in if you consider buying online, as it can get expensive to return stuff...

My 2 cents.

Peter

-Confucius
Old 04-21-2018, 10:04 AM

If I were buying a pair I would be getting ones with exchangeable soles or a vibram sole.

Felt soles are illegal in national parks and the new regulations say not to use felt soles(although it appears to be a recommendation). It wouldn't surprise me if they banned felt in the near future.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:17 AM

Korkers ... Just let your budget decide which ones
Old 04-21-2018, 10:32 AM

I currently have a pair of Chota wading boots and would recommend them.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:52 PM

Ive been happy with my simms so far, they have held up well against rough shale and hiking with them has been comfortable.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:28 PM

I wore a pair of the Simms Gude boots for the better part of two fishing seasons (worked in them everyday, fished most evenings and days off). After two years they were absolutely destroyed. Soles ripping off the bottoms, sides blown out, front ripping off, they were in shreds. Like I said, I used them for work everyday in the mountains, including hiking and wading in them. Shale, trails, all sorts of terrain. Long story short, I would buy them again in a heart beat, I have been trying out a few different brands since, and know that I am going back to the Simms. I would have hate to see what would have happened to a cheaper pair over those two years! I also have not been in my waders as much over the past couple years, besides just regular fishing, so I don't want to comment those brands yet!
Old 04-22-2018, 05:53 AM

I've used a cheapo "no-name" set, a pair of Patagonias, and now Redington Prowlers.
My first set I bought from Canadian Tire on a whim before I decided I was going to get serious about this fly fishing thing-- they were inexpensive, performed poorly on rough terrain, and didn't last long. However, they served their purpose, in that they got me on the water, and were comfortable and light (so much so that I bought another pair last year to use when I'm on my float tube). The Patagonias are a now discontinued model (Rockgrips or something of the sort); they served me well for a couple of seasons. I have a very wide foot, and though these fit OK, I have never found another pair of Pats that fit. Last year, early season, I bought the Redington Prowlers. They are super comfortable, are great for walking and keep me sure-footed in the water, and are seeming built very well. I hope to get at least a couple more years out of them, as they are currently showing zero signs of any wear and tear. I also recently bought the Simms Intruders for salt; Simms stuff gets rave reviews and seems very well built, but I have some fit issues with their regular boots.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:01 AM

I have several pairs of boots, my Korkers lasted all of 2 years before both soles separated onstream a week apart (after repairing the first). Simms Guides where nice and still have em but found them kind of stiff and needed break in. Currently the most comfortable boots I have worn are Chota STL Boots. Easy on and off, and comfort all day.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-22-2018, 10:09 AM

I just buy Bass Pro Redhead Mckinleys when on sale (29.99) got 4 years on my present ones and wife has 3 on hers. Decent soles and even if I have to replace them every 3 yrs still a cheap option. Take a while to dry out but who cares with stocking foot waders.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly7 View Post
I wore a pair of the Simms Gude boots for the better part of two fishing seasons (worked in them everyday, fished most evenings and days off). After two years they were absolutely destroyed. Soles ripping off the bottoms, sides blown out, front ripping off, they were in shreds. Like I said, I used them for work everyday in the mountains, including hiking and wading in them. Shale, trails, all sorts of terrain. Long story short, I would buy them again in a heart beat, I have been trying out a few different brands since, and know that I am going back to the Simms. I would have hate to see what would have happened to a cheaper pair over those two years! I also have not been in my waders as much over the past couple years, besides just regular fishing, so I don't want to comment those brands yet!
Yup, I resoled mine after a few years for 80$ used some PL on bursting seams and I’ll get another couple out of them.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
I currently have a pair of Chota wading boots and would recommend them.
I run Simms, But I highly recommend the Chota brand. Relatively inexpensive and their boots have some nice felt/stud tread patterns. Lots of guys I know run them for lots of seasons before blowing them out.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:16 PM

Awesome feedback all. My pair that has broken down is the Chota SLT plus. I would go that way again but I feel like I should be looking for rubber soils.

Korkers are intriguing but the removable sole has me on edge a bit that it might loosen and fall out over a long day.

The Simms Guides are definitely one's I've been looking at as well.

What places in Calgary carry Chota, Korkers, and Simms?

I'd love to see and try them on before buying. I got my Chota's at Wholesale which is no longer around so not sure where to start. Online worries me that I'll screw up my size.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2018, 08:46 PM

Fishin Hole, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Fly Fishing Shops, lots of places to go check out boots in person.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millartech View Post
Awesome feedback all. My pair that has broken down is the Chota SLT plus. I would go that way again but I feel like I should be looking for rubber soils.

Korkers are intriguing but the removable sole has me on edge a bit that it might loosen and fall out over a long day.

What places in Calgary carry Chota, Korkers, and Simms?

I'd love to see and try them on before buying. I got my Chota's at Wholesale which is no longer around so not sure where to start. Online worries me that I'll screw up my size.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
I would avoid korkers, unless they've improved their extremely flawed heel nub sole securing system that has broken off every pair I've had. Maybe they've replaced that with something better but its cheap plastic on the heel where the sole straps onto and when that blows korkers doesn't bother warrantying your boots (Or they didn't when I had them).

I would look at the new Hodgman boots too if you want the benefits of removable soles. Their new system intrigues me and looks much more thought out then korkers system.

Spend 20 minutes of your time calling shops asking what they carry for boots, and then pick the one with the most in your size/front runner choices. Try to give the business to the smaller shops over a big box store.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by millartech View Post

I soured on the Korkers after having one tear the entire side out when I was a good distance downstream from my vehicle. Looked just fine then boom, have a nice walk.

I've actually been very impressed with the Simms Freestone. I got both a felt and vibram pair for not much more than I would have spent on a single pair of G3s and they have held up very well.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:13 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the advantage of wading boots over just a regular pair of hiking boots (or a pair of shoes with good grip)? Water resistance?
Old 04-24-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the advantage of wading boots over just a regular pair of hiking boots (or a pair of shoes with good grip)? Water resistance?
Generally a wading boot will vent the water out, and a hiker will trap the water with in the boot, I use both, condition's dependant, I use hikers quite a bit for back country fishing,
Wading boots are sized a bit bigger as designed for a stocking foot wader to be worn,
Old 04-24-2018, 09:36 PM

Too add to the above post, wading boots traditionally come with felt or other type sole, sometimes studded, designed to grab traction on slippery slimy rocks but not necessarily designed for hiking far on dry land.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. So wading boots certainly help, but aren't absolutely necessary. I'm asking because I picked up a nice pair of Simms waders during the WSS closedown.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:10 PM

Check that!!

I just tried on the Patagonia Ultralight Wading Boots l and I stand corrected, these now run HUGE!! I have the previous version (as well as owed the predecessor to the Ultralight) both in size 11 and they fit me perfectly. Unfortunately, this latest version fits HUGE! At lease one size in length and they are now super voluminous!

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post

Patagonia fit narrower,

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 04-25-2018 at 03:22 PM.