Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-02-2017, 08:24 AM

Default Thoughts on browning abolt ii medallion

Hey just wondering on people's experience for accuracy and reliability and experience on browning abolt ii. I am thinking of acquiring one in 7mm rem mag. Mainly using for hunting.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:36 AM

I had an A-Bolt II, though not the medallion model. I had the synthetic stainless steel model in .270Win. Was quite accurate and I had no troubles with it at all. Gave it to my son when he started hunting. I would never have hunted with the medallion edition though, for fear of scratching it. Beautiful gun.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:24 AM

Never owned medallions but owned a few a bolts. Sold them all as none ever shot as good as my tikkas.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:29 AM

I had one in 300 wsm. Wish I had not sold it. The only negative I can say is that the finish dents easily so need to watch for that.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Have one in 7mm with vari-x3 scope and is one of the most accurate rifles I own. Fantastic with cheap ammo and even better when you find one it really likes. Shoulders very nicely for me. Very comfortable and easy to shoot. Which for me also inspires confidence. I have no plans of replacing it any time soon.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Banned

My hunting partner has one in 7mm Mag and it is a fantastic rifle and a real tack driver even with factory loadings. He just can't seem to miss with it and in 3 seasons it has accounted for 4 -180"+ class deer.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:03 PM

I've owned one in .338 win mag for 10 years. It's my go to gun for everything. Always shoots sub moa groups. Only draw back is the stocks on them are a bit brittle. Mine broke when the sling let loose on me and it hit the ground. Also my cousin had his break from similar incident. I replaced my stock with a factory browning composite stalk had it glass bedded and it's the most accurate rifle I have ever owned.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:24 PM

The medallions are a beautiful rifle. I own a browning A bolt 2 longe range in 7mm love it. Also have the plane A Bolt 2 in .270 has shot some pretty small clovers.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhon007 View Post
Hey just wondering on people's experience for accuracy and reliability and experience on browning abolt ii. I am thinking of acquiring one in 7mm rem mag. Mainly using for hunting.
I have this gun and I love it, very accurate, shoulders nice, doesn't kick much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170604_090909_resized(1).jpg (84.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-04-2017, 09:26 AM

All Browning firearms seem to have good fit and finish for the price, and the A-bolt and X-bolt both tend to be accurate. That being said, the A-bolt has a sub standard trigger, and the magazine system is over designed, so that it offers the disadvantages of both a hinged floorplate, and a detachable magazine.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Banned

Likely the most consistently accurate out of the box rifle out there. I haven't seen one that won't shoot under an inch.
Trigger needs a 20$ spring kit to get to 3# and is excellent once there.
Great tang safety. 26" barrel in the magnums. Stainless, black, walnut, synthetic choices. Great value on the used market, usually for 500$-600$
Tapped for lots of base/ring choices
Magazine is a love hate set up. I have never had an issue with it.
Great choice on the abolt!
Old 06-05-2017, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhon007 View Post
I have used one since 2005. It is one of the most accurate bolt actions I have shot. The trigger is adjustable, and is wider than the older ones, which took a bit to get used to. I have BARs and BLRs. I have put hundreds of rounds through it over the years, with out any issues. The clip set up is the same as the BAR and the BPR. Designed for the fellows that lose things. The bolt is as smooth to operate as you can get. I would buy one again. Good luck with whatever you choose.