Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-01-2017, 05:56 AM

Default Reloading Question

Just bought a new 300 WSM. Have loaded for a few in the past and had good luck with RL 19 and 180 gr Barnes bullet. Made bullets through whole range of recommended charges from Barnes manual. Bolt of rifle jammed on evey se from 63 gr - 69 gr. Does rifle just not like this powder? How can I bring down pressure? Will seating the bullet deeper help me? Recommendations please.

Thanks,
Old 06-01-2017, 06:57 AM

Every rifle is individual on what they like and don't like . Obviously that combo doesn't work. X bullets are suggested to be seated .050in off the lands . I would try re 22 , re 25 or imr7828
Old 06-01-2017, 07:42 AM

Did you bother to check to see how far you are seating the bullets off of the lands? Regardless of what bullet you choose, you should know this, but it is much more important with monometal bullets. And if the bolt is hard to lift after firing at 63gr, you shouldn't fire loads with more than 63gr of powder until you determine why the bolt is hard to lift after firing at 63gr. And in case you were not aware, not all loads listed in loading manuals will be safe in every rifle. That is why the manuals advise working up the powder charge while watching for pressure signs, and hard bolt lift after firing is often the result of excess pressure.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:27 AM

Is it jamming on the bullet hitting the lands or does the shoulder need to be bumped? Sounds suspiciously like a case sizing issue.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:28 PM

Default 300wsm

Case head separation?Case head space? how many times have those cases been reloaded?
did you have to use any excessive pressure to load the round? did you examine the bore of your rifle?
Old 06-01-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromaniuk View Post
Just bought a new 300 WSM. Have loaded for a few in the past and had good luck with RL 19 and 180 gr Barnes bullet. Made bullets through whole range of recommended charges from Barnes manual. Bolt of rifle jammed on evey se from 63 gr - 69 gr. Does rifle just not like this powder? How can I bring down pressure? Will seating the bullet deeper help me? Recommendations please.

Thanks,
Since it is a brand new rifle I would start there. Buy a box of factory ammo, NOT the Hornady Superformance or other makes of hot rounds, and try the gun with that. If you get a sticky bolt, (stop on the first sticky bolt, do not shoot any mopre) take the gun and the FACTORY ammo, plus the empty factory case(s) back to the store you bought it. Do not discuss reloaded ammo behaviour or having ever used reloaded ammo.

If factory ammo shoots fine, use these 20 cases to work up a load using H100V. Produces top velocities in the 180 grain bullets at a much lower pressure.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-01-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:19 PM

I've use RL22 & now RL17 in mine with no problem like yours. My gut feeling is it's the bullets. Nosler sight says to start lower with monometal bullets. I would try same load with a different bullet. That is where I would start.