Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-04-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
If we are lucky Morton will keep the SRD job. He sure wants it .
Really? Seems sort of small potatos for a guy with party leadership aspirations. When he got handed that portfolio I thought it was a banishment from Ed. He would really want to keep it? Thought he'd want health, finance, Ed or Advanced Ed, something a bit larger and in line with his political agenda. Guess you would know though.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:43 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Really? Seems sort of small potatos for a guy with party leadership aspirations. When he got handed that portfolio I thought it was a banishment from Ed. He would really want to keep it? Thought he'd want health, finance, Ed or Advanced Ed, something a bit larger and in line with his political agenda. Guess you would know though.
Ted did want the job and has asked for it again. It is a very low level portfolio but he did ask for the assignment.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:53 PM

I think a new minister is in order, and more importantly, a new deputy minister. The DM does all the steering behind the scenes. I can't truthfully think of anything that Ted has provided for the sportsman of this province.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
Yes Ted Morton is related to Bill Morton from Cardston.
One other point,at the meeting in Cardston, Ted Morton said he has harvested 7 mule deer bucks, in the 180 class, in zone 108,since 1998.
So that means 7 mule bucks in 9 years, Is ted morton also an archerer,or does he have a dual-citizenship.
In zone 108 it takes a resident 8 to 10 years to get a draw for an antlered
mule deer.
So far the parties that could actually confirm this are not responding. Not surprising given most of them are probably celebrating the PC win. I decided to write another letter to our Premier and suggested he might want to take a hard look at the precieved conflict such a relationship(if it exists) could promote.

It's just a rumour as far as I'm concerned but given the high % of rumours that have become fact with regards to OS, better safe than sorry.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy ike View Post
So far the parties that could actually confirm this are not responding. Not surprising given most of them are probably celebrating the PC win. I decided to write another letter to our Premier and suggested he might want to take a hard look at the precieved conflict such a relationship(if it exists) could promote.

It's just a rumour as far as I'm concerned but given the high % of rumours that have become fact with regards to OS, better safe than sorry.
I think chuck already cleared up the animal numbers and that it wasn't 7 mule deer from 108 but a combination of elk and mule deer from 300 and 108. Chuck's version jives more with what I remember the minister saying in Edmonton. I'd just give Bill a call on the other matter. He loves to chat and is full of great hunting stories. I can PM you his number if you like or I think it's still on our web site under 2004 outfitters.

Last edited by sheephunter; 03-04-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:13 PM

They are shirttail relatives I believe. It's distant though.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:19 PM

For me, these quotes just turned on a bit of a 'lightbulb'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Ted did want the job and has asked for it again. It is a very low level portfolio but he did ask for the assignment.
Mr. Morton deliberatly put his passion as an outdoorsman above his political aspirations. He probably could have recived a much higher post if he so desired. Instead, he followed his heart and decided to represent not only those in his constituency, but also the 110 000 hunters/fishermen in Alberta that he is also a member of. Why on Earth would he decide to throw us all under a bus as the new minister?

IMHO, as a low ranking member of the caucus, the OS plan was driven down his throat every bit as much as it has been ours. Do you not think that Ed gets a little chuckle to himself as he watches his formar rival now look like a Judas when he was once percieved as the Messiah?

I think that he is a good minister. Cancelling OS can only be done by Ed, and it will only be done once he tires of watching Mr. Morton squirm. Keep writing guys. This is a very defeatable concept. Good luck.

Tree
Old 03-05-2008, 06:26 AM

There's this little thing called the Land Use Framework that's been sitting on the backburner for the election. Which is anything but small potatoes.
When that comes out the spit is going to hit the fan. As Ted said in a speech to the Calgary Chamber of Commerce before the election call "the only certainty is that no one wil be completely happy."
Kinda sounds like this one will make Open Spaces sound like a ripple in a storm.
Rather than bring in yet another rookie minister with a long run-in period, Ed would probably rather leave the stick handling when LUF hits the public process to Ted.
But wait until next week when all will be known. At least that's what Stelmach told us yesterday at his press conference.
Although Morton didn't do a heck of a job with the Open Spaces roll out when the AFGA brass got sideswiped. And the convention floor uprising resulted.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
There's this little thing called the Land Use Framework that's been sitting on the backburner for the election. Which is anything but small potatoes.
When that comes out the spit is going to hit the fan. As Ted said in a speech to the Calgary Chamber of Commerce before the election call "the only certainty is that no one wil be completely happy."
Kinda sounds like this one will make Open Spaces sound like a ripple in a storm.
Personally, I'm terrifed of this LUF.

Combine the hints with the simple fact it's been shelved until after the election, and you know that it's not going to be pretty...

Waxy

Last edited by Waxy; 03-05-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 AM

I forgot about the LUF.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
For me, these quotes just turned on a bit of a 'lightbulb'.

Mr. Morton deliberatly put his passion as an outdoorsman above his political aspirations. He probably could have recived a much higher post if he so desired. Instead, he followed his heart and decided to represent not only those in his constituency, but also the 110 000 hunters/fishermen in Alberta that he is also a member of. Why on Earth would he decide to throw us all under a bus as the new minister?
In favour of his other friends and constituents, the ranching community, which is bigger in numbers, and MUCH bigger in $$$$ value.

I'll leave the other conspiracies out...

Quote:
IMHO, as a low ranking member of the caucus, the OS plan was driven down his throat every bit as much as it has been ours. Do you not think that Ed gets a little chuckle to himself as he watches his formar rival now look like a Judas when he was once percieved as the Messiah?
I couldn't disagree more. Everything I've seen suggests this is coming from Morton himself.

I'm sure Ed does get a chuckle, watching Morton having to sleep in the bed that's he's made for himself. It'll get old quickly though, the last thing Ed needs is a major uproar and unrest coming from what should be a secondary portfolio. It creates a headache for everybody.

Quote:
Cancelling OS can only be done by Ed. Keep writing guys. This is a very defeatable concept. Good luck.
Now that I completely agree with.

Waxy
Old 03-05-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post

Tree

This is exactly how I see Ted Morton. He is one of us and has done more for us than the last string of SRD ministers.
I want him to remain as SRD Minister.
He allowed 12 year olds to hunt with rifles like in Saskatchewan.
He increased opportunities to hunt deer, elk and moose in a number of WMUs.
He opened up Sunday hunting opportunities in 8 WMUs and will continue to do so (long overdue).
He stopped people that are suspended outside of Alberta from coming here and hunting.
He opened a season for calling Bobcats.
I hope Ted Morton still wants the job and I hope Premier Stelmach shows wisdom and gives it to him.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 AM
SNIPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
I hope Premier Stelmach shows wisdom and gives it to him.
I wholeheartily agree.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 AM
chevy427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
This is exactly how I see Ted Morton. He is one of us and has done more for us than the last string of SRD ministers.
I want him to remain as SRD Minister.
He allowed 12 year olds to hunt with rifles like in Saskatchewan.
He increased opportunities to hunt deer, elk and moose in a number of WMUs.
He opened up Sunday hunting opportunities in 8 WMUs and will continue to do so (long overdue).
He stopped people that are suspended outside of Alberta from coming here and hunting.
He opened a season for calling Bobcats.
I hope Ted Morton still wants the job and I hope Premier Stelmach shows wisdom and gives it to him.
All good things under the current system.

Trumped by Open Spaces they won't mean a dam thing to guys that don't have the cash to hunt.

For that reason I hope Morton gets Pearls old job. Mitzell should be SRD minister.