Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-01-2008, 12:06 PM

Default Agreed on most counts

The Grizz and blacks are ruthless in calving season and the wolves 24-7 IMO the other problem for me still remained the 6 point law I hunted the ranch lots in the early late 80s early 90s and watched the quality of bulls slide the outfitters kept lobbying to keep the 6 point law applicable to all tags the gene pool took a pounding at that time the three point law had been proven a disaster for the mule deer! I 50 trophy tags 50 3point or less and 50 cow tags would have balanced it out and taken some presure of the good bulls fewer hunters fewer tags fewer wolves shot as a side line to your elk hunt, then close the Grizz hunt and you have a recipe for disaster. That is JMHO

Last edited by Donny Bear; 03-03-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:34 AM

I attened the lecture on the Wolf studies in the Ghost last year in Sundre. They got talking about the elk having to be herded back into the Park, becasue they wolves had killed all the lead cows. I'm sorry, but it's your system of taking these cows from the Ya-Ha and sending them somewhere else. The old lead cows, unless sick or hurt, are often crafty enough the wolves don't get 'em.

I agree with the 6 point rule being a hindrance. You take out all the big, strong, healthy bulls, and leave the weak ones left to breed, that's not a good system. When I was on Sustainable Resources case, it was to have a Youth Bull Tag on the Ya-Ha. It wouldn't have benefitted me, as I was no longer considered a youth at the time I started my squaking. I was frustrated that I had been appling ever since I was able to, and never got a hunt. All a Youth Bull Tag would need to be is a spiker, or 3 point, something to give Youth the desire to hunt. We are losing interest in hunting, becasue there is very little to encourage young people to want to hunt. A Youth tag, I think, would help. If I wasn't so stubborn and wanted to have my own elk hunt, not just tag along on my Dad's, I would have given up hunting a long time ago. If I'm not drawn this year, I'm taking up my case again! Lol. Won't help me, but it might another young girl, or boy, who just wants to hunt elk.

A little off subject, but it all stems from my frustration trying to hunt the Ya-Ha.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:41 AM

Keep the fight going and I'm glad you are sticking to your guns and Goals, be encouraged and hunt well huntress.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:03 PM

when i was younger there were lots of elk in the yaha, been drawn few times in last ten years and never pulled the trigger( too picky), i dont think the 6 pt rule worked very well, Ive seen some huge 5 pt that are breeding, not sure what the anwser is, the outfitters got what they wanted and that didnt work along with too many tags also, we should be like sask, where the residents are on draw for that species, then no non residents can hunt that species. all seems too late now, will take years to repair the damage done, thats my piece.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:06 PM
TundraBuck

Hey Full Curl Earl, I know you mentioned you have hunted the Ram but if you are interested I know where you will absolutely get an elk no problems. PM Me.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Huntress View Post
I attened the lecture on the Wolf studies in the Ghost last year in Sundre. They got talking about the elk having to be herded back into the Park, becasue they wolves had killed all the lead cows. I'm sorry, but it's your system of taking these cows from the Ya-Ha and sending them somewhere else. The old lead cows, unless sick or hurt, are often crafty enough the wolves don't get 'em.

I agree with the 6 point rule being a hindrance. You take out all the big, strong, healthy bulls, and leave the weak ones left to breed, that's not a good system. When I was on Sustainable Resources case, it was to have a Youth Bull Tag on the Ya-Ha. It wouldn't have benefitted me, as I was no longer considered a youth at the time I started my squaking. I was frustrated that I had been appling ever since I was able to, and never got a hunt. All a Youth Bull Tag would need to be is a spiker, or 3 point, something to give Youth the desire to hunt. We are losing interest in hunting, becasue there is very little to encourage young people to want to hunt. A Youth tag, I think, would help. If I wasn't so stubborn and wanted to have my own elk hunt, not just tag along on my Dad's, I would have given up hunting a long time ago. If I'm not drawn this year, I'm taking up my case again! Lol. Won't help me, but it might another young girl, or boy, who just wants to hunt elk.

A little off subject, but it all stems from my frustration trying to hunt the Ya-Ha.
I don't think it really matters how you define "trophy" and I remember attending some meetings years ago, pushing for the 6 point rule. The practical effect is that with sustained hunting, you will have a population just under that minimum. 6 points are hard to find, but the woods are full of 5 pointers and just barely 6 pointers but not legal.
Grizz