Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-01-2008, 04:38 PM

Default Cow elk estrus

I'm hunting in the Debolt ,Grande Prairie area .New to elk hunting ,and would like some info from the experienced and sucessful elk hunters if I may .When do the cow's come into estrus,the best time to call bulls and what kind of calls should i use (anything but a diaphram please). Please note that 99% of my hunting is in the bush and not in fields.Any advice from the seasoned pro's would be very much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:41 AM

I think if you talk face to face with the guys at the Whitetail Ridge store on the highway they could help you out!!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300ultramagnut View Post
I'm hunting in the Debolt ,Grande Prairie area .New to elk hunting ,and would like some info from the experienced and sucessful elk hunters if I may .When do the cow's come into estrus,the best time to call bulls and what kind of calls should i use (anything but a diaphram please). Please note that 99% of my hunting is in the bush and not in fields.Any advice from the seasoned pro's would be very much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
I have called in bulls right from the start of the season, Aug 25th, right thru to the end of Sept. After that is real hit and miss. No diaphrams.......why not? I use the primos palate plate calls. With the plate over the latex, you get no vibration from them, and when bow hunting, having one of them in the lips proves very usefull, as you can give a little Eeeeeeeooooooo when you are at full draw, with a regular call, you cannot do this. Any rate, I also use all the handheld calls, from primos, and they all work, with the Hootchie Mama being prolly the best, and easiest. I recommend if you are just starting out, buy yerself a good elk hunting vid, like primos big bull series, and watch it. When they call on there, you call, try to imitate the calls by the hunters, as well as the elk. You do this untill next fall, you should be able to talk with a wapiti or two. Good luck, and post your photos