Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 09:00 AM

Default Susitna River, Alaska

I have a 5 day trip planned for Mid-june to South-central Alaska. Two of those days will be spent fly fishing. The first trip is on the Susitna River for King Salmon, and Rainbows. Has anyone had any experience with this river that can offer some tips?
Old 04-25-2018, 07:20 AM

I guess nobody from the forum has been there. I did find this for you though.
http://www.fish4salmon.com/alaska-trip-planning/map/
Old 04-25-2018, 03:23 PM

Thanks, i appreciate that. I'll be fishing the main stem of the Susitna just below the mckinley and denali wilderness lodges, which i think are a little further north of the little Susitna.
Hopefully someone on the forum has been up there as part of a Princess cruise lines package.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:36 PM

Not me, I just fished the little ole Kenai River.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:18 PM

I assume the two are similar...did you fly fish it? what were you targeting?
Any special flies or advice?
Old 04-25-2018, 09:15 PM

Fly fish for sure.

First time out just found a good spot. Used a crystal flash bugger and hooked and lost two before landing a sizable female sockeye.

After that I went with a guide for the 2nd run sockeye at the end of July. Fly fish again. Red gamakatsu hook with one or two orange beads above it. That's it. Cast out 10-15 feet let it swing down and usually on the swing it would be grabbed. Then hold on
Not really a finesse style of presentation but I was specifically targeting sockeye. Managed to catch 11 that morning and all were tough fighting with lots of jumps.

Big sockeye too

Cleaning fest later, there were 3 of us with limits

Last edited by SNAPFisher; 04-25-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:25 PM

Thanks Snap. Now I'm really gonna have trouble getting through the next 40 sleeps or so before we leave.
Beautiful fish.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:41 AM

40 sleeps...
That should put you in the first run of Sockeye which is early June. And, usually the bigger of the two runs.

I think Sustina is more of a glacial melt river so lots of flats, multiple channels, off color water and tougher to fish. You might find that is not the case but that is how it looked to me. I didn't fish it either.

If you do have a chance at all to travel, hit the Kenai. I would highly recommend it. It is a very, very amazing river and is casting / river bank friendly.