Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 PM

Default Remington 5R Milspec - Anyone have one? Thoughts?

I am interested in picking one up. Does anyone currently have one or have had one in the past?

If so, any thoughts you could share?

I have narrowed my choices down to Tikka T3 HB Varmint or this Rem.

First purpose is as a paper puncher, but for kicks I may use as a long range hunting rifle (otherwise I would be getting a smaller round).
Old 01-29-2014, 07:27 PM

I had one in 308. It was boringly accurate but front end heavy. I had a hell of a time carrying it on a shoulder with a sling. If it was a .223, I would have kept it. There are other rifles out there that are just as accurate though with better balance if you are looking for a hunting rifle. The HS stock with the double palm swells just isn't right for me.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 PM

I currently have one in 308. Love the accuracy for paper and for me, I dont mind carrying the extra few pounds when hunting. It took a black bear last year at 600m. Repeatability is not an issue. I agree with m70 though, the stock felt didnt feel right. Luckily theres lot more choices of replacement stocks for the remington than the tikka. Also the original stock is an easy sell for a couple hundred if youre not fond of it.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:36 PM

Myself and a buddy have them. Accurate for sure. Dislike stock so changed it. No complaints on rifle itself. Long throat but that's a rem thing and I like it.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 PM

I've researched this gun and read any forum thread that mentioned it, held one. Must have put a weeks worth of hours into researching just the 5R rifling. I think it's a brilliant gun. The only reason I never bought one was is I saved a few more pennies and decided the custom route would be more what I was after. I thought the stock was a nice stock. Fit me anyway. The beaver tail fore stock is brilliant for sandbags. (Friend has the stock. ) the full aluminum bedding block is great. The barrels these come with are quite good. I'd actually be interested in the stock if you guys still have yours and are interested in selling? I'd say the 5r milspec seems to be what your are after. But go hold one. Calgary shooting centre has one I believe.