Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Banned

Default !!attn farmers!!

just a curious question to when you boys will start seeding this year. i generally do it the day after i hear the first frogs croaking
Old 04-27-2011, 10:17 PM

when the many sloughs from last year stop playing connect a dot to form very large lakes. Telling my family back east I now have lakefront property and I am no longer in the Muskokas.
Should have bought a 3 inch pump. Pheasants with water wings doing the back stroke.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:19 PM

WWbirds

I want video of your birds doing the back stroke.
Am exhausted and half asleep, no half awake I have been napping.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 PM

Would have to launch the boat to take video and I can't be bothered. had a couple regular pointer guys want to know about shooting roosters last weekend and I said no problem bring the duck boat and the life vests.
Planting birds in cat tails got really tough last weekend.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:24 PM

depends on what im planting, and then i wait till the right soil temps, it will be all barley after may long this year lol.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

yep barley/oats here too. i live on high ground and have no flooding issues. tried to run the disc over the home quarter yesterday and it was still frozen. im thinking mid may as well
Old 04-27-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Would have to launch the boat to take video and I can't be bothered. had a couple regular pointer guys want to know about shooting roosters last weekend and I said no problem bring the duck boat and the life vests.
Planting birds in cat tails got really tough last weekend.
So how is the fishing in your lake?
Think stinky would get some good bites?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 PM

Default hehe

get at 'er frogs been croakin the past three nights. snow still in the drifted spots here. The low stuff is soaked and the hiltops are dry be a good week of favorable weather before anyone starts round here.chain
Old 04-27-2011, 10:47 PM

I actually heard a Crane in the field, across the road, the other night. Lakes in all the low areas. Talking to my neighbor, 15 of May would be an early guess. Then there's the matter of soil temperature. No sign of it getting warm in the near future.

Grizz
Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain2 View Post
get at 'er frogs been croakin the past three nights. snow still in the drifted spots here. The low stuff is soaked and the hiltops are dry be a good week of favorable weather before anyone starts round here.chain
yeah i hear ya. my planting feilds quite high i do live in the pembina drainage system and some spots are 150ft above river level. the home quarter is 20 ft above river level . i could probably plant now for the most part. just curious as to what you fellas are doing this year.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:42 PM

The norm around here is May 1st. This year we will be at least 2 weeks behind. Intill all the snow melts and the ground warms up, there wil be no seeding around here for awhile.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 AM

I believe as long as grass and weeds are sprouting the ground is warm enough, it's going to be a while before things are dry enough though.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 AM

Default working the land...

The farmer down here on the 49th, in Alberta, have begun to work the stubble already, ..... around the many sloughs this year..
Old 04-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
I believe as long as grass and weeds are sprouting the ground is warm enough, it's going to be a while before things are dry enough though.
some seeds need lower temps to germinate than other such as wheat where others heed high temps, you dont want your seeds to rot or get eaten by birds (not much of a problem with air seeders but still)
Old 04-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Frogs crocking up here last night, usually a good indicator but still patches of snow around for sure. When the buds on the poplars show up may be a better bet this year.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't own a farm but I have been around farming all my life, born and raised on a farm, worked farm for brothers, in-laws, friends and neighbours.

We used to wait for the right soil temp, until one year. That year, spring was late, almost as late as this spring. So we changed our system.

We started spring work as soon as we could get on the land, and seeded right behind the cultivator. There were several days where we had enough frost that our disk markers wouldn't cut in. But we went ahead anyway.

Germination was spotty that year but we got a crop when a lot of people who waited for the land to warm up, didn't.

From then on we seeded as soon as we could, no matter the soil temps.
If spring was early we would wait a few extra days, but on average we seeded at least a week ahead of what we would have under our old method.

We found that on dry years we got better yields, on average years we got about the same as before, on late years we go a crop when others didn't.

In twenty years we only had two failures. Germination too poor. Those years we were early enough to reseed and still get a crop. And it didn't cost much since all the other spring field work was already done.
As my friend, and boss at the time, said. In the spring we can reseed, but if we seed late and get an early frost, the whole year is toast.

One other thing that we liked, most years we had our crops in the bin before that fall rains hit. For about half of those twenty years we were all done the harvest by September first. More then once we had the pleasure of being free to help a neighbour who was late with his harvest.

Each has good reasons for doing things the way they do. But maybe this year is the year to try something different. It could save your year.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:07 PM

I saw a couple of airdrills rollin' east of Warner today but still need about another week of warm weather to get the ground to warm up enough.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 PM

South of Lethbridge things are getting rolling. Blood Reserve is in full motion right now.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 PM

Supposed to rain tonight. Maybe start on monday?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:44 AM

frogs have been croaking around here for at least 2 weeks. guy across the road was cutting the oats that laid out all winter yesterday, saw a few guys fertilizing the past 2 days. Now the rain is coming down serious. yippee.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
South of Lethbridge things are getting rolling. Blood Reserve is in full motion right now.
They were going till dark last night, wish farmers would light up their machinery when pulling it down the highways in the dark, gets the blood pumping when you realize that the let up tractor also have a s**t pile of unmarked equipment almost blocking the entire highway.
Saw some tractors/air seeders sitting in fields southwest of Foremost, didn't see any work done though.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:16 AM

We are still a few weeks away, optimistically.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:37 AM

Was up most of the night air seeding our wheat already in the high ground, got most of our wheat in, still have standing water in the low areas near our creek, so most likely a few more weeks to finish everything up...
Old 04-29-2011, 09:16 AM

north of Viking you would still need a blade to push snow . north side of bushs still have 2' drifts, still can't get down blind roads. Seen frogs,salamanders and even a turkey vulture yesterday.We got a lite showerthe other night but really need a rain to get rid of snow. Still having to wearing a winter jacket doesn't help either.
driving thru Camrose this morning and seeing all the school kids in shorts! I'm either getting to old or these wipersnipers have no brains!