Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 05:10 PM

Default Truck Canopy

I am in the market for a truck canopy and started shopping around and found that they are allot of money. ($4500-$5000) I am looking for a Leer 100XQ or a Leer 100XL. Where are you guys getting the best price on these.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:43 PM

have you got friends/relatives in edmonton ? There is a guy (rainbow auction i think ) just west of edmonton on the way to spruce grove with a mountain of canopies of all shapes , sizes and colour .
Old 05-26-2020, 06:33 PM

What Color and size (6’ or 8’), type of truck?
Old 05-26-2020, 07:46 PM

Just ordered a new canopy, the Leer Legend is cheaper than their latest models and has everything I wanted including a headliner as an option. The dealers do not advertise this model, probably because it takes away higher price sales.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scesfiremedic View Post
What Color and size (6’ or 8’), type of truck?
F350 Black short box
Old 05-27-2020, 06:16 AM

Default Truck Canopy

I got my canopy through Raven as part of my deal when I bought the truck used from a dealer. Leer 100XL, black, Ram 3500. I believe it cost around $3000 on the deal. I’m not sure if that’s dealer price or they ate some cost to get the deal.

I’ve looked for the used ones and you need to be patient and lucky to find one that fits your truck. Especially with the 1 tons as most have fifth wheel hitches so there aren’t a lot of canopies. If you do find a used one it’s usually the wrong colour and by the time you paint it you are close to the price of a new one. That was my experience anyway.

I’ve had 4 Leers over the years. They are good canopies that fit well. Only weak point is the single twist latch in the middle of the rear door. The lock mechanism can easily corrode if not maintained, making them hard to open.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-27-2020, 07:16 AM

I bought the bulldog brand from Cap it last fall, so far so good. 2000$, a lot cheaper than Leer and ARE. It looks just as good and has 2 locking latch.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:56 AM

I have a Leer 100xq and I’d never buy another Leer. The quality just isn’t there!
All of the hardware (hinges, latch) are rusting badly, the front removable window slider is always Self opening. I’ve had to replace the window crank mechanisms a few times. If I were on the market I’d look at https://www.snugtop.com/products.aspx
Old 05-27-2020, 09:26 AM

Try Canopy West. I like the one on Yellowhead and 149 ST. Their in house brand, Range Rider, is made in Canada and significantly cheaper than ARE, which they also carry, or LEER. Comes with all the same options. I have one on a 1996 long bed pickup that was put on when the truck was new. Sliding front window, work windows on both sides and rear vent windows. If was 30% cheaper than the identical ARE and tall enough I can load my quad with it on.

Everything still works great. Had it repainted once 7 years ago, Canopy West did an excellent job for $500. Replaced the two rear handles on the main window once, rest has been perfect. They are advertising a big sale on now, says some product up to 40% off, they also carry used canopies.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I have a Leer 100xq and I’d never buy another Leer. The quality just isn’t there!
All of the hardware (hinges, latch) are rusting badly, the front removable window slider is always Self opening. I’ve had to replace the window crank mechanisms a few times. If I were on the market I’d look at https://www.snugtop.com/products.aspx
Yup those are the Cadillac of canopies..........the price also reflects that.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:30 PM

Thumbs up

Sometimes you luck out !!

When I bought my Tacoma back in 2015, there was a used Tacoma on the lot. It was the same color of my new Tacoma, and had a matching canopy. I looked the canopy over closely, and there wasn't a mark on it - it looked brand new.

I asked the sales person if they might be interested in selling the canopy off the used truck. She said she would get back to me as she had to talk to the used vehicle sales manager.

Couple of hours later she gets in touch, and says "how does $600.00 sound for the canopy" ? I told her without hesitation "sold".

Brought my new Tacoma into the dealer a couple of days later - they mounted the canopy and hooked up the tail light - all for no charge !!

I had priced out new canopies, and all were around $2000.00 plus taxes. Saved a bundle by just asking if the canopy on the used truck was for sale.

Mr Conservation
Old 05-27-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I've got a SnugTop on my Tacoma,has brake light, interior light and carpeting on the wall and ceiling. Left latch needs an extra push to lock once in a while but happy with it for approaching 10 years this August.