Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 02:28 PM

Default Smokers: Bradley vs Woodchip

I’ve owned a Bradley smoker for several years now, and I’m not sure how I feel about the wood pucks, is it me or does the finished product of a smoke chip smoker often tastes better, I feel that the fine wood in the pucks may lack a consistency with the smoke flavour, is it just me or does anyone else feel the same way, any input ideas tips, or feedback would be welcome.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:32 PM

I use smoke tubes filled with pellets. Works awesome in my smoker and works awesome on the gas side of my bbq.

Here is one style: https://amazenproducts.com
Old 05-27-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I use smoke tubes filled with pellets. Works awesome in my smoker and works awesome on the gas side of my bbq.

I do the same I have the maze and the tube, a few friends each buy a bag of pellets we swap different woods.

Most reliable smoke generators going
Old 05-27-2020, 05:05 PM

I hated my Bradley, wouldn't ever get to temp and it finally crapped out and I bought a gmg. I can do way more on it and it replaced my bbq. Pellet grills are super easy and give consistent results if your looking for another option
Old 05-27-2020, 05:56 PM

Gotta propane powered wood chip fed smoker from cabelas. It gets hot enough you can cook in it. Master chef I believe is the brand. Excellent product. I'll never buy another electric smoker. Nice to have the open flame. Food is delicious out of that rig. Had to change my phone number and evaluate who is really a friend and who just liked me for my smoked meats.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
I’ve owned a Bradley smoker for several years now, and I’m not sure how I feel about the wood pucks, is it me or does the finished product of a smoke chip smoker often tastes better, I feel that the fine wood in the pucks may lack a consistency with the smoke flavour, is it just me or does anyone else feel the same way, any input ideas tips, or feedback would be welcome.
You are not wrong.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:50 AM

Default Where to buy

Quote:

Where do you get these Near Edmonton. I'd like to try them
Old 05-28-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:

I just bought one myself and tried it out in the BBQ. Couldn't keep the thing smoking?

Then fired up the smoker for a test run in there too and because of the non-movement of air (I'm making a large assumption here) the pellet tube wouldn't keep smoking in the smoker box either (30" smoker)

Is there some secret to keeping these smoker tubes smoldering?

J.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
I just bought one myself and tried it out in the BBQ. Couldn't keep the thing smoking?

Then fired up the smoker for a test run in there too and because of the non-movement of air (I'm making a large assumption here) the pellet tube wouldn't keep smoking in the smoker box either (30" smoker)

J.
I Use my propane torch and get about 10% of one end going real good,place in bbq ,blow out the flame and it smokes for about 45 min.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post

J.
Some pellets have more moisture and are hard to keep burning try mixing with different types I use 50/50 oak and hickory a lot another tip is to soak a table spoon of pellets in paraffin based starter, place wet pellets in the starting end pile dry pellets over it, light, let it burn for at least 10 min before placing in the smoker make sure you have good ignition
On the BBQ to avoid flare ups I cover the top of the tube with tin foil punch a few holes place over a burner on high until it starts smoking, wood ignites at 450* turn down burner after ignition.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:06 AM

Another option
https://www.wayfair.ca/outdoor/pdp/r...-rkco1002.html

I use a ProQ at home which is a rectangular maze. as above designed to be lit with a Tea Light candle. .
But then you need to remove the candle after ignition and it gets messy spilling wax everywhere.

So I pop the candle out of the foil cup and refill it about 50% with fondue fuel. This way it is self extinguishing.
I get about 7 hours burn time on a 150g fill of wood dust. Dust available at DnR for $9 for 900g
Roughly 20 cents a hour to run compared to about $1.25 an hour to run a Bradley.

When I close the door of the Bradley I prop a twig in at the base of the door seal to give some combustion air to the Pro-Q to keep it smouldering.

Having some heat in the cabinet is helpful in sustaining positive airflow

Last edited by omega50; 05-28-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:21 AM

I have a Bradley, then got and tried smoking in a Weber kettle, next for me is a Weber Smokey mountain. I only use the Bradley for thing jerky now.