Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2020, 05:53 PM

Definite fatality of one of the team. Tragic...

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/m...=?clipId=89926
Old 05-17-2020, 06:12 PM

Truly a sad day. Condolences to the family of the pilot that passed. And prayers for the pilot who is injured. The snowbirds always bring smiles to faces. I know it’s soon but I sure hope they finish their flights of courage when the time is appropriate. They have been all the talk over the last little while and deservedly so. They are truly a bright spot for the country in a time of sorrow for so many.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:18 PM

Rest In Peace Captain Jenn Casey...
Old 05-17-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Rest In Peace Captain Jenn Casey...
Amen to that. Darn sad news when the other thread opened up a lot of good memories. A routine event until the unexpected. RIP lady.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:12 PM

Looks like an engine failure based on all the videos. He had a little speed from take-off to pull up, and thought he could make it back to the airport, but when he banked it over at the top, it stalled and went into a spin. By the time he and the passenger ejected, they had lost more than half their altitude. The passenger was their PR officer, who died, and the pilot landed on a roof with serious injuries. Just not enough room for their chutes to open. Such a tragic accident, nobody had to die there. This after we just lost a helicopter crew in Greece. So sad.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:19 PM

Condolences on the loss of another forces member. Tragic. No doubt the team will be in action again.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:25 PM

What a terrible tragedy. their mission to boost everyone’s spirits makes it so much worst . I can’t imagine what the rest of the snowbirds are feeling right now .
Old 05-17-2020, 09:54 PM

I swear a lot and can’t say what I want to say here. But 2020 can really go away now. Enough is enough...
Old 05-17-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Always the naysayer grizz... not the time or place!!!!
That’s Normal for Grizz
Old 05-17-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Always the naysayer grizz... not the time or place!!!!
That’s Normal for Grizz hopefully all is good with pilots
Old 05-17-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
That’s Normal for Grizz
He is an absolute decent member. We have all had our moments.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:54 PM

I was in Red Deer and watched them fly over on Saturday it was awesome to see and bought a little cheer in a time of despair. Such a tragedy to have happen when they only wanted to thank all who have helped during this time. RIP Captain,
Old 05-17-2020, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP/-31 View Post
Looks like an engine failure based on all the videos. He had a little speed from take-off to pull up, and thought he could make it back to the airport, but when he banked it over at the top, it stalled and went into a spin. By the time he and the passenger ejected, they had lost more than half their altitude.
I'm guessing that you have zero time in a Tutor, or any other single-engine jet. You have NO idea if he was trying to "make it back to the airport." Neither do you know if it "went into a spin."
Maybe spend a little time learning about what was around their departure path.
Rant over.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:35 AM

I had seen them many years ago in Toronto over the lake. Was really looking forward to see them again even without their spectacular maneuvers and just a fly by. My heart goes out to the Captain, she will never be forgotten, and the PILOT I hope will make a full recovery to continue with his passion. The tears are never ending right now for the two of them.
Keep all your armchair speculations to yourself. You were not in or around that plane. Show some respect
Old 05-18-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadji Ramjet View Post
I'm guessing that you have zero time in a Tutor, or any other single-engine jet. You have NO idea if he was trying to "make it back to the airport." Neither do you know if it "went into a spin."
Rant over.
Not a rant, an observation. My dad has flying experience in military jet trainers, and he saw the video and said: 1. Engine failure, 2. pulled up to gain altitude, 3. stalled (wing, not engine), 4. airplane entered into spin, 5. airplane recovers from one-turn spin, 6. ejected too low.
Now let's hear your educated explanation. Again, a very sad accident.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:55 AM

Why must we speculate and make comments when we don’t know what happened. Let’s wait for the investigation to play out And hear exactly what happened. It ****es me off when I read earlier that someone posted “both occupants are fine”, when in fact that was not the case. So many “experts” weighing in who should just keep their opinions to themselves. Very hurtful to those closely involved in this tragedy.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadji Ramjet View Post
Rant over.
Your being critical here. One doesn't require time in a Tutor jet to make an assumption based on what was observed and recorded on video. It would appear a mechanical malfunction of some sort, shortly after lift off left the pilot with very few options. In my humble opinion it would appear he was trying to gain enough altitude to eject. It also appears the plane was unable to sustain a climb, aerodynamically stalled and then went into a spin configuration prior to ejection. The AO member was merely giving his opinion as I am giving mine.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:16 AM

All your speculations and scenarios are true to the fact that they will gain as much altitude as possible when low to the ground to be able to eject safely. Seems like an engine failure and not enough time to climb. Lets wait for the pilots response on what happened. I'm sure when he finds out his partner didn't make it, he will be totally devastated and blame himself.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
All your speculations and scenarios are true to the fact that they will gain as much altitude as possible when low to the ground to be able to eject safely. Seems like an engine failure and not enough time to climb. Lets wait for the pilots response on what happened. I'm sure when he finds out his partner didn't make it, he will be totally devastated and blame himself.
Being the Public Affairs Officer, I would think she didn’t go up very often if at all? I’m uncertain of the dynamics of the team and whether it was commonplace for her to go up or was it just a treat or a ride along?
Old 05-18-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Being the Public Affairs Officer, I would think she didn’t go up very often if at all? I’m uncertain of the dynamics of the team and whether it was commonplace for her to go up or was it just a treat or a ride along?
Old 05-18-2020, 10:14 AM

It is not necessarily a treat or a ride along. That is how the team and support personnel get from one base to another. They don't have a Herc dedicated to their activities like the Americans do. The PR person and the tech personnel travel in the second seat.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 05-18-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
It is not necessarily a treat or a ride along. That is how the team and support personnel get from one base to another. They don't have a Herc dedicated to their activities like the Americans do. The PR person and the tech personnel travel in the second seat.
Bingo. the pilot was the show coordinator and not one of the demo team. If one of the show planes broke down this A/C could be used as a spare.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:37 AM

Lightbulb

An analysis, based on what is known so far 👉 https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1960723

Selkirk
Old 05-18-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification...
Old 05-18-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
This. They'll often precede the rest of the team, sometimes as much as a day in advance even, single or two ship, Snowbirds 10/11 maybe? I forget, been a few years since I've dealt with them other than the occasional stop over.

I haven't read much of the reports, but my guess is the rest of the team hadn't departed yet? I sure hope they weren't taxiing and on frequency. My heart goes out to the entire team and their families.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:36 AM

Yes she was along for the ride but that was part of her job. PR. She has been many times in the air and qualified do so. Not just a passenger for a thrill ride
Old 05-18-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
This. They'll often precede the rest of the team, sometimes as much as a day in advance even, single or two ship, Snowbirds 10/11 maybe? I forget, been a few years since I've dealt with them other than the occasional stop over.

I haven't read much of the reports, but my guess is the rest of the team hadn't departed yet? I sure hope they weren't taxiing and on frequency. My heart goes out to the entire team and their families.
I am wondering if if they were the first to take off
Old 05-18-2020, 04:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

I am wondering if they were the first to take off

I believe they were.

Selkirk
Old 05-18-2020, 05:21 PM

This was a sad headline on the news, does any body know what era the jets are, seems they might need new jets to do more fly time
Old 05-18-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
This was a sad headline on the news, does any body know what era the jets are, seems they might need new jets to do more fly time
thank this guy for cancelling replacements

https://thepostmillennial.com/trudea...planes-in-2018