Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 03:42 PM

Default Alpine Mule Deer

Anyone on here hunt high country Mulies like they do down in Montana, Idaho, etc? Not looking for your spots, but was more curious if anyone does it or if they just carry a tag while sheep hunting.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:58 PM

Mule deer numbers are way down in most 300 & 400 WMU. The hunting quality is barely a fraction of what they get down south. Be ready for several days with 0 sighting.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:58 PM

Thumbs up High Country Mulies

When I was a youngster I did and quite often found them above the sheep.... now that I am in my sixties I prefer roaming the badlands which I am not sure if its less work as my last mulie took four trips with a pack to get out and was all uphill vs down with most mountain bucks. With the number of prairie deer now having CWD I may go back to the hills again. The only negative was in the areas I hunted I regularly ran into Griz which I never worried about till I had an animal down and then it became a worry......
Old 04-03-2020, 04:27 PM

Yes I have
Old 04-03-2020, 05:02 PM

About all Mulies are on draw, so you have to plan ahead, but I've seen some nice animals , way up there.

Grizz
Old 04-03-2020, 06:23 PM

Back in the ‘80’s and ‘90’s I did this a lot. In 2003 I shot my last one at tree line.

I had more fun hunting these at high altitudes then I ever did in fields. I dont recall harvesting a field Mulie.

BW
Old 04-03-2020, 06:41 PM

It’s an incredible experience.

I used to get way up there before it was draw during bow season... go after a mulie.. or get on to the Elk.

They are still there

And so is grizz.

I got lots of good game cam pics of each.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-03-2020, 06:57 PM

I saw some mulies down in 402 hunting this last year for elk, biggest was a middle sized 140ish 4x4. They’re there and it could be a grand hunt for the experience, it’d probably difficult to track down a large buck but beautiful country, as many have also said be ready for bears.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:47 AM

I posted some pics and my experiences hunting mountain mule deer in this thread from quite some time ago. Back when we killed the deer it was still wide open, we always had a deer tag in the pocket when sheep hunting. It's for sure a tough hunt, so if you plan on drawing a tag in the mountain zones I would commit as much time as possible to it.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...tain+mule+deer
Old 04-04-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
I posted some pics and my experiences hunting mountain mule deer in this thread from quite some time ago. Back when we killed the deer it was still wide open, we always had a deer tag in the pocket when sheep hunting. It's for sure a tough hunt, so if you plan on drawing a tag in the mountain zones I would commit as much time as possible to it.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...tain+mule+deer
Love those yellow tags on Antlers, I still have a few metal tags somewhere
Old 04-04-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Love those yellow tags on Antlers, I still have a few metal tags somewhere
Yeah you bet, I may have a couple still kicking around too. Seemed like a better system to me but such is "progress".
Old 04-04-2020, 09:37 AM

All of my mule deer hunts before November are in the high country, September finds me backpacking into subalpine lakes, setting up camp and roaming the ridges and saddles at or above tree line. They have all been very rewarding hunts, the majority I come home with nothing but the memories of a beautiful adventure. The hunts when I have filled my tag have become more than special in my memories. Epic is a better word. Especially solo. Mountain mule deer are a tough animal to hunt and they are usually spread pretty thin, at least here in the Kootenays. It took me a few years to start becoming successful. This is last season's high country mule deer, not quite alpine at 1900m+/- but still a tough hunt.

Very rewarding hunt but physically and mentally a tough hunt. If cutting a tag is the most important part of the hunt heading into the alpine for mule deer might be disappointing. If spectacular scenery, adventure, and challenge are what make your hunt special you can't beat hunting in the mountains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2083.jpg (113.3 KB, 329 views)
Old 04-04-2020, 10:51 PM

Those dark antlered brutes are not often seen until end of November. More sitting, waiting and watching. Find some does and wait.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRED View Post
All of my mule deer hunts before November are in the high country, September finds me backpacking into subalpine lakes, setting up camp and roaming the ridges and saddles at or above tree line. They have all been very rewarding hunts, the majority I come home with nothing but the memories of a beautiful adventure. The hunts when I have filled my tag have become more than special in my memories. Epic is a better word. Especially solo. Mountain mule deer are a tough animal to hunt and they are usually spread pretty thin, at least here in the Kootenays. It took me a few years to start becoming successful. This is last season's high country mule deer, not quite alpine at 1900m+/- but still a tough hunt.

Very rewarding hunt but physically and mentally a tough hunt. If cutting a tag is the most important part of the hunt heading into the alpine for mule deer might be disappointing. If spectacular scenery, adventure, and challenge are what make your hunt special you can't beat hunting in the mountains.

Dam straight and that's why we are retiring out that way....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-05-2020, 08:33 AM

JT...!

Awsome photo!

I miss going solo up there with the bow.

What a beaut for a high mountain deer!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-05-2020, 08:41 AM

Great photos guys!

I am contemplating entering mulie as a tag to have with me on this year's sheep hunt.......P8. Better odds to have it for elk hunting but there is something about a high mountain mulie hunt that is so "traditional". Just not sure I could commit a ton of time while sheep hunting.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:03 PM

2017 I filled a mountain unit antlered muley tag. I hunted pretty hard, not quite alpine but pretty high up there. One of my favorite hunts.
I would highly recommend it if you like the mountain scenery and don't mind the hiking. If you can be up in the higher country for first light, you'll be surprised how many mule deer are out.
But as other people have mentioned, there are grizzlies to consider.

Like any mountain hunt, it's a commitment.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:12 PM

You have to work for them very hard and they aren't big antlered. I was disappointed in the trophy quality over prairie or parkland mulies. Won't be doing it again, I'll stick to sheep above treeline
Old 04-07-2020, 02:24 PM

BC sure grows them big in some areas. Big 200” dark antlered cutblock and alpine bucks.

Mismanagement here and lions giving them a beating. Not much left and if you see one it’s a 140”.